Using Umod with ESO (1 Viewer)

Exgenesis

Content Creator
All,

This quick tutorial will go into how to get umod working with ESO. It is not meant to be a detailed guide on how to use ESO in any manner other than to get it working with ESO and perform basic operations. I am new to umod and don't pretend to be an expert in its use.

If you want further tips on what to do with umod and ESO, see my "How to" in the following thread:

http://www.gamevixenzone.net/saucy-requests-24/elder-scrolls-nude-mods-1509/index4.html#post22767

Also:

http://www.gamevixenzone.net/mods-20/eso-texture-mod-tools-skins-1601/

1. Read up and download Umod (v2_53)

https://code.google.com/p/texmod/wiki/uMod

I have few issues running the latest alpha build with ESO. YMMV.

2. Copy d3d9.dll into the ESO folder.

This folder is located at:

\Program Files (x86)\Zenimax Online\The Elder Scrolls Online\game\client\

Copy it into that folder like shown below:

folder.jpg

3. Change your ESO configuration file to use Direct3D9

This file is located in your documents folder and not the game folder. So for me its:

Libraries\Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\live\UserSettings.txt

In that file change the line SET GraphicsDriver line to read as follows:

SET GraphicsDriver.7 "D3D9"

4. Start Umod and map your image selection and save keys.

Umod needs 3 keys mapped in order to work.

In the Center Panel click you need to set up keys that umod will respond to while the game is loaded with umod hooked into it. These keys allow you to go back and forth, traversing the images that umod finds in memory.

I tend to use: "<" for Back, ">" for Forward, and "/" to save. Whatever you map keywise, be sure to remap those keys first in ESO so that they are not in use. umod runs while ESO is running and so make sure there is not a key conflict and that the keys you choose are not also in use by ESO.

When you map the keys don't get worries if the value field next to the button says "unknown (0XBF)" or some other value. Just remember what key you mapped and make sure it is not utilized for ESO for anything.

5. Setup your Save Directory and Start Umod with ESO

First, set up a directory to hold your exported images. This is where umod puts the images you export when you push the save hotkey you mapped. Then. Go to the main tab and select "Start Game through umod". and highlight select game. Browse to the ESO launcher and select it. The image below should help:

Umod.jpg

1. Map a save directory
2. Click Main and select "Start game through umod"
2. Select the "Select the game to start"
3. Browse to the Path in 4. Click "Ok"

The launcher is located on Windows 7 in:

\program files(x86)\Zenimax Online\Launcher\Bethesda.net_Launcher.exe

6. Using Umod to export an image.

Via the umod Main menu click "Start game through umod" and then highlight the path to the launcher and click ok. In a few seconds the client will eventually start.

You will know umod is working correctly when Red numbers and a counter starts in the lefthand portion of the ESO screen as a graphical overlay. This information means umod is hooked into memory and the numbers you see are data about images being loaded, etc. The counter won't start until after you have launched via umod and authenticated successfully, at which time the game will start loading and the counter will start ticking away, counting up the images you have to use your hotkeys for back and next to traverse to find the images you want to export.

With ESO, its best in my experience to use the character selection screen to begin hunting for images. This reduces the image count and prevents other people's models from being loaded. So select the character you want to export textures from, use your hotkeys, find the images you want, and hold down your save key for a second. An image will appear in the folder you mapped during the previous stage. The name of that image will correspond with the red name in the upper left hand overlay on your screen.

When you save out an image you won't see any visual indicators that the export succeeded, so just alt-tab and check the directory.

That file is .dds format hash (remember to select DDS) above the "set save directory" button. You can alt-tab if you need.

The images below should help.

hashfile.jpg

So you will now have a file in your save folder that starts with eso_blah_blah_hashvalue.dds

Get your photoshop on and make any changes you want and save it out as a DDS image. When you save it, preserve the hash value before the .dds. ESO must have this hash value unaltered to place the image back into memory correctly. I'm still learning umod, so I get much more specific.

7. Load Your Modifications

Now for the fun. After you have edited the file and saved it out, start up umod and launch as described above.

When you get to the character loading screen you are now ready to preview your changes.

1. alt+tab from ESO and in the bottom window of umod, right click.
2. select "Open Texture/Package"
3. Browse to your modified DDS image
4. Select it and click ok. Wait a few seconds.

At this point your modified image will load and see can see your changes in ESO.

Launch your game. If you modified your character's texture, it will stay modified until you switch any clothing/armor item (mostly). To keep from loosing your changes, stay within your motif set for its level range defined. The level range armors of a motif all have the same texture. So if you switch to a differently enchanted set of Bossemer leather of the same leather range, you can alt+tab, right click in the bottom window, and select "Reload". Your modified texture for bossamer leather jack lv 5-9 will happily accept your modified texture.

Eventually you may crash your game. Experimenting with what will and won't crash ESO is still up in the air at this point, but stick to the general rule (don't switch any armor that will cause a texture change). As long as the piece of gear you are switching to looks the same as the last piece you put on, ESO will accept the retexture.

Thanks and happy texture modding!

-exgenesis

Last edited by a moderator:

Exgenesis

Content Creator
How To Use Umod to Load and Unload your first Mod with ESO/Elder Scrolls Online

For the Beta release go here:
http://www.gamevixenzone.net/mods-20/eso-texture-mod-tools-skins-1601/

This tutorial is more or less reproduced in the live mod thread so go there for more information! Thanks.

This is a fast tutorial to show you how to use Umod to load a texture mod for ESO. I will be brief. Ask questions in the thread for better explanations please.

This how to uses files from the following NSFW thread - so watch out as this is SFW but the link isn't

http://www.gamevixenzone.net/saucy-requests-24/elder-scrolls-nude-mods-1509/index6.html

1. Open up Umod and repeat the Steps from the tutorial above. Ignore the things in the bottom window with the arrows pointing to them. I have highlighted items as reminders to look back at the tutorial.

initial start.jpg

2. After you hit launch and the game starts for the first time with umod loaded, You will see some Red numbers - this means umod is sorting images. That is a good sign. Authenticate and put on your costume/disguise (Vulkel Marine Guard).

Set1MarineCostume.jpg

3. Now being the texture swapping. ALT -TAB. Follow directions in the image:

step2NittyGritty.jpg

Follow the directions in the image. Right click the bottom pane, select load package, select the texture from the texture pack you downloaded from my Alpha Test Threat, load the images at any order. Ignore the MarineMod.jpg in the archive, its just there as a reference. Each time you select a texture, click through the "Ok"s that pop up and keep going.

4. Half way through your model will start looking Wierd. This is a good sign: Alt-Tab if you want to see the effect of each new DDS. Some are slight, others are big differences.

half.png

5. Now you are done: You will look like this and umod should show the following hash.dds loaded:

done.jpg

6. So now you are free to run around doing quests but remember 1 simple rule: Do Not Zone Transition while using your modified DDS files. To zone transition, (say go into a cave) you must unload the textures and restore your old set. I havent had problems going into doors within zones.. Only zoning into an entirely new zone, like a cave or a teleporter, etc.

Reloading your original set and restoring it afterward is very easy.

ReloadingRestoratoin.jpg

Once you right click Reload from disk your modified textures will be replaced and you can zone to a new location without crashing.

When you zone in, ALT+ TAB again and select "Reload" (not "Reload from Disk). This fetches your modified textures from umod and you are ok to play again.

Final reminder. When you get ready to quit playing, ALT+TAB and click the "A" in the image to "D" (or right click and unload all the textures) i.e. remove the package. This way, when you play again, umod will not load any modified textures as soon as the game starts up.

Otherwise, It has a potential of crashing as it really don't respond well to starting the game with an active texture mod loaded.

Happy gaming! Hope you enjoy my mods as they get released over time.

This completes this "How To"

Exgenesis

Content Creator
We are currently ironing out some hash mismatch problems. One tester found that their hash values did not match mine. So I am investigating. Hashes are key to this enterprise so if any of you extract your underwear body textures let me know what your hashes are. Also, if you extract hashes for any costume while experimenting, do let me know the hash values.

Thanks!

Here are a few key tips for hash extraction in ESO on costumes.

1. Some costumes have multiple variants with different hashes and subtle differences.

To view the variants, put on the costume and log out. Then log back in. You will go through some equipping animations, and some changes may appear - like on one variant you are wearing a helmet and on the other you aren't, etc.

2. Do not carry more than one costume in your inventory when attempting to capture its hash. There is a bug where the game will load the wrong hash value from an entirely different costume, even though it says you are wearing X you are wearing Y. Its odd.

So to prevent that from happening, just carry the costume you want to extract the hash from.

laters

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.