Need a DC fanatic's wisom regarding Wonder Woman (1 Viewer)

Raden

Wordsmith
Ryonani Teamster
So I am thinking of writing a story about Wonder Woman getting the beats and having it be her last fight... but I never read comics and stuff growing up. So...

-Was there ever a Minotaur type villain? Would you count this guy? Bounty: Minotaur - DC Universe Online Wiki

If so, what name would you give him?

-How can her super powers be removed or used against her? It seems difficult to defeat someone you can throw through a brick wall, and she gets up and shrugs it off like it tickled. So there has to be a way to hit her and make it count.

Thanks.

meepmeep

Ryonani Teamster
"Among the things the Nazis used on her were chloroform and poison gas. Her enemies also occasionally stole away her belt (leaving her without her super strength), her lasso, and her bracelets (leaving her defenseless against gunfire), but Wonder Woman always recovered the stolen component by the end of the episode."

"Her powers would be removed in accordance with "Aphrodite's Law" if she allowed herself to be bound or chained by a male. However the effects of this varied. In the television series, her magic belt allowed her to retain her powers when she was not on Paradise Island; removing it weakened her."

A lot of what I've read in terms of fiction focuses either on the removal of her belt (thus removing her super strength, leaving her with only the abilities of a well-built woman) or the use of her own lasso by a male opponent both to sap her of her powers and render her completely subservient to the man's whims. How convenient that a superheroine utterly destroyed through bondage happens to carry a length of rope around with her at all times!

chainedbracelets.jpg
So much for serving as an inspirational feminist icon.

A couple exemplary "Wonder Woman defeated" scenarios apart from sooperhero's fic. to draw inspiration from..
http://www.thevalkyrie.com/stories/1misc17/tamra02.txt
Finally, Tam-Ra drops all pretense of a counter-attack and begins to
simply take the fight to the fast fading Amazon Queen, with slashing
fists and pure strength moves powered by massively flexing muscles to
which poor Diana, even with her fabled magical belt on, seemingly has
no answer. With each successive slam to the sun-baked ground by the
powerfully muscled young renegade amazon, with each punishing blow
that sends her clumping to her back, dazed and moaning , the
embattled older Amazon increasingly struggles mightily just to rise.
Tellingly, alarmingly, Diana's wondrous thighs have suddenly become
very hot and very wet; the slick, rubbery muscles swishing noisily
together in her labored efforts to rise.

Dizzy and dazed, she dutifully rises from the sun baked ground yet
again, turning woozily to face her young tormentor. She blinks
stupidly, the Amazon Queen does, wondering what in the world is
happening to her. She has her magical belt on, should be feeling a
steady surge of unworldly power from it; but it seems to have short-
circuited somehow. For sure, it's still sending that warm buzz through
her great body; but it's now clearly directing that warm buzz not at the
corded muscles in her arms and legs, but rather squarely at her crotch,
which is fairly gushing with sexual excitement. The muscles
themselves feel heavy, lethargic; and, in the case of those beautiful legs
that are in full, rubbery meltdown, too hot and wet for her own good.
Instead of surging strength, Diana feels mostly just a giddy weakness.
She has never felt so helpless, and seldom so utterly turned on. She
stares at the young goddess-like body in front of her with dread, envy
and, undeniably, raw unfettered lust. Distracted, she barely reacts as
Tam-Ra turns, twists, leaps and lashes out at her feet first.

Tam-Ra's feet crash into Wonder Woman's chest. With catlike skill she
aims so perfectly, that a heel lands dead center, in each enormous, up-
tilted amazonian boob. Wonder Woman crashes jarringly against the
earthen wall, wailing at the terrible damage to her magnificent bosom,
while her young adversary lands cat-like on her feet. When Wonder
Woman bounces off the wall, Tam-Ra backhands her across the face,
spinning her in a half circle. A barrage of powerfully driven punches
crashes into her back slamming her face first, back into the earthen
bank. Struggling bravely against the overwhelming attack of her young
antagonist, Wonder Woman braces herself against the hard bank, and
spins around shakily on those big, beautiful, extremely rubbery legs.
Face to face with her foe, Tam-Ra drives another punch, a straight left,
deep into Diana's. The Amazon Queen gasps aloud, but remembering
Tam-Ra's tactic, desperately dives head first into the young renegade's
midsection. Now, it is Tam-Ra's turn to gasp breathlessly, as Wonder
Woman's head drives the breath from her lungs. But taut, ridged
muscles developed to near perfection by hours of sit-ups and weight
workouts limit the damage; and her youthful recuperative powers bring
her back quickly. Angered now, Tam-Ra's clenched hands smash down
on Wonder Woman's neck, in a two-handed rabbit punch. The punch
slams the aging heroine's face down into a knee lift that flings her
backward, arms windmilling for balance. Tam-Ra hits the off-balance
Amazon Queen, with a left hook to the cheek, and a right uppercut to
the chin. Her hard fisted punches slam Wonder Woman's head first to
the left, and then backward. A drop of blood trickles down her cheek.
As Diana sags backward, Tam-Ra's muscular leg flashes up in another
savage kick. Wonder Woman reels backward in groggy confusion,
blood dripping from her nose and cheek, while Tam-Ra stalks her
unrelentingly.

Another barrage of blows, to her head, face and chest, drops her to her
knees. Tam-Ra hammers away at the aging Amazon's head.
Desperately, Wonder Woman throws her arms around Tam-Ra's legs,
and buries her face against Tam-Ra's leather loincloth, hanging on for
dear life. Tam-Ra, contemptuously kicks free, takes a backward step,
and brutally kicks the crouching amazon in the belly, again. Wonder
Woman gags, clutches her wounded belly and pitches face first to the
floor, head spinning. The merciless Tam-Ra kicks the fallen Amazon
Queen in the side of the head, then knee drops into the small of her
back. Tam-Ra rises, smiling from Wonder Woman's trembling form.
Poor Diana scratches at the floor in woozy confusion.. Her big, curvy
legs tremble as she valiantly tries to rise. Tam-Ra leans over the
struggling superheroine. She grabs the raven curls at the back of
Wonder Woman's skull with her left hand, and grips the seat of Diana's
satin tights with her right. Then she lifts the woozy older amazon up to
her feet. Wonder Woman cries out in quick fear. She struggles wildly,
but Tam-Ra rams her headfirst into the earthen bank. She stands back,
watching gleefully as the punch-drunk, Amazon Queen stumbles on
rubbery legs. Then, with a cruel, sadistic laugh, Tam-Ra punches
Wonder Woman across the side of her jaw, laying her out on the
ground, barely conscious.

http://www.superheroinecentral.com/~wizard/Stories/DrDominator/Danvers21.htm
"Guungghh!" The defenseless heroine's eyes close in horrible pain as the hail of bullets begin to take their toll. Helplessly, Wonder Woman crumples to the terrace, her knees no longer strong enough to support her. She lands on her bleeding butt cheek with hard thump that brings a shriek of agony from the embattled brunette. And then she flops weakly onto her back, her legs pinned beneath her.

Zhhippppt!

Something smaller stabs into her lower right calf, jerking it upward slightly.

"Ughh!" Extremely painful but not the devastating, crippling effect that the bullets brought. "...help...someone...call...911....NOW!" Wonder Woman tries to breathe as a few people hidden in corners and behind poles snatch cell phones and flip them open desperately.

Zhhippppt! Zhhippppt!

"Agghhhh!" The beautiful female shrieks in terrible pain as both breasts take individual hits to their fatty undersides from the whining little slugs. None of these deadly accurate wounds are killshots, but added together they may well bring the mighty princess of Themyscira to the stygian shores of Hades. Ares must be enjoying the view of this massacre!

The dazed and bleeding heroine tries to retain consciousness as a growing puddle of blood forms beneath her inert body. Her body feels wet in several places and her brain is fogged with pain. Struggling desperately, Wonder Woman tries to pull herself onto her side. Using her good lower left arm, she rolls her upper torso to the right and brings her knees up slowly to a fetal position, trying to make herself as small a target as possible. Nobody cringing in the corners of this massacre site can believe their eyes. Wonder Woman is a bloody mess who is behaving like a helpless little girl. They didn't blame her. They just couldn't process the shocking site!

Zhhippppt!

A whining sting splits the difference between her shoulder blades cutting a tiny round black hole in the upper portion of her back. Several inches away from the spine.

"Owwwww!" Wonder Woman slumps onto her stomach now, her legs spread ungainly beneath her in perpendicular directions, flung there from the agony of the shot. Bright tears begin to well in her blue eyes. Was this how her time in the world of men would end? So ingloriously. So callously gunned down without honor?

Last edited by a moderator:

Raden

Wordsmith
Ryonani Teamster
lol, yeah, that does seem rather convenient. I need to find a story plot device to get that belt off her then, letting her take a whoopin'.

Trigon

Casual Client
I'm a bit of a comic fan, so I'll offer my input; but you might not like what I have to say. While I'm not a Wonder Woman expert (I don't like her and generally prefer Supergirl), I've read enough stuff featuring her and the Justice League to have some idea of her powers. I apologize in advance for the following wall of text.
Disclaimer 1: Superhero/superheroine powers are wildly inconsistent from writer to writer, so take all this with a grain of salt.
Disclaimer 2: I'm talking about modern day comic book Wonder Woman (as in last 20 years or so), not stuff from the 50s or the TV show.

Modern day comic book Wonder Woman has no weaknesses. None. She has a ridiculous number of strengths, but there's no kryptonite or anything that will drain or remove her powers. Some of those strengths include:

• Super strength: All versions of wonder woman at least as strong as Hercules. All versions are weaker than Superman, but it's close. So the lower limit of her Strength is Hercules, and upper limit is Superman. She is stronger than Supergirl (it pains me to say that); in fact, she is the strongest female heroine in the DC universe.
  • Nearly Invulnerable: She is not quite as invulnerable as Superman. She is all but completely invulnerable to bludgeoning attacks. Bullets from very high power guns can cause her minor bruises and cuts (they might break her skin but not muscle tissue). Of course, she can just deflect bullets with her braclets. Many versions of Wonder Woman heal rapidly. She can withstand space, deep water, extreme heat and cold, etc. without trouble. She has an extremely high pain threshhold and endurance.
  • Flight: She can fly. (Really old school versions could not fly)
  • Speed: If she wants to, she can move and super speed, up to about half the speed of light. This is clearly not Flash level, but still far faster than most heroes.
  • Reflexes: Can use her superhuman speed to deflect bullets, laster beams, etc. with braclets.
  • Senses: Super sight ansd hearing. Her brain can process information extremely fast as well.
  • Wisdom: Very high wisdom and intelligence, especially in military tactics, military stretegy, and languages. Unlike many ryona stories, she's not a moron. (That said, she's certainly not Batman, Brainiac, or Lex Luthor level)
  • Combat Skills: All versions of Wonder Woman have excellent fighting skills. She is probably the best close combat fighter (from a pure skill standpoint, as in being knowledgable and capable in a vast number of martial arts) in the entire DC world.

Anyway, there's more but you get the point. She's ridiculously powerful. To be honest, most ryona stories I read with her are either total bullshit, or based on the much weaker TV version of Wonder Woman. (That's understandable though, since more people are aware of the old TV show.)

Note that the above applies to comic book WW from the mid 80s until about 2010. The comic has been rebooted since then, so I'm not sure is she's still that powerful.

"Among the things the Nazis used on her were chloroform and poison gas. Her enemies also occasionally stole away her belt (leaving her without her super strength), her lasso, and her bracelets (leaving her defenseless against gunfire), but Wonder Woman always recovered the stolen component by the end of the episode."

In the television series, her magic belt allowed her to retain her powers when she was not on Paradise Island; removing it weakened her."

Yeah, this is from the TV version of WW. In the comics, taking her belt does absolutely nothing. Hell, some versions of her costume don't even have a belt. She can kick your ass while naked just fine. I really think they just added the belt thing to add more peril to the TV show.
Without her bracelets, gunfire might hurt her but not really injure her seriously. (I suppose if you had enough guns firing for a long enough time... death by a thousand cuts, as the saying goes.) However, some older versions of Wonder Woman go berserk when the bracelets are removed, making her 10 times stronger (so that's not a good plan either).

Gas and poison are always inconsistent in comics. She can hold her breath for hours at a time. Nevertheless, certain gasses or poisons might work.

"Her powers would be removed in accordance with "Aphrodite's Law" if she allowed herself to be bound or chained by a male.

This is from the older comics (way before 1985, so long before I started reading them). I haven't seen anything like this mentioned in the last few decades.
Still, it could be useful for a ryona story. The tough part, of course, is getting her bound in the first place.

As for the stories meepmeep posted:

The superheroine central one was complete nonsense. It really had to nerf the heroes badly in order to work.

The one with Tam-ra was a lot better, in that at least the opponent was another Amazon. I'm assuming that Wonder Woman was not able to use her powers in the fight (I'm guessing the belt was switched), or assuming that Tam-ra had comparable powers to Wonder Woman. Wonder Woman would have put up a much better fight than that. The best melee fighter in the world (man, woman, or alien) just doesn't go down that easily.
I do really like the idea of a younger, stronger Amazon rising up to take her place, though. I could suspend my disbelief long enough to enjoy the story.

And finally, to answer the original questions:

Was there ever a Minotaur type villain?

I'm not sure. There was a villain named "Minotaur" according to the Wonder Woman villains list on wikipedia. He didn't seem to be a major villain.

How can her super powers be removed or used against her? It seems difficult to defeat someone you can throw through a brick wall, and she gets up and shrugs it off like it tickled. So there has to be a way to hit her and make it count.

It wouldn't even tickle.

Ryona Options:

0) Base your story on the TV version like everybody else. This is by far the easiest option.
1) You could use a villain that's explicitly more powerful than her. There aren't many, but they exist. Darkseid, Doomsday, Genocide, and Bizzaro come to mind. You could also turn a hero bad or have them be on opposing sides (both sides thinking they are doing the right thing. fights between heroes happens all the time in comics. Like in the Avengers movie). In that case, you could have her fight Superman or somebody.
2) You could use several weaker-but-still-strong-enough-to-hurt-her villains at the same time. Cheetah, Poison Ivy, Giganta are examples. Perhaps your minotaur could fall into this category (or any greek monster like a medusa might work too).
3) You could use greek gods, like Ares or Hades (major WW villains), or demigods like Hercules. This is the route the current comics seems to be taking.
4) There's no obvious way to take away her powers, but that doesn't mean you can't make one up. Her powers come from the gods, so you could have them take them away (perhaps as a test or something). For example, her flight and speed are a gift from Hermes, her strength and durability come from Demeter, etc. Alternately, you could have some villain invent some new drug or gas capable of weakening her temporarily. Or whatever. Note that in all cases she's still the most skilled melee fighter in the world - but without her powers it's possible to put her out of her weight class.
5) She is resistant to magic, but not invulnerable to it. Illusions and enchantments are a common way to deal with powerhouse superheroes.
6) and last but not least:

the use of her own lasso by a male opponent both to sap her of her powers and render her completely subservient to the man's whims. How convenient that a superheroine utterly destroyed through bondage happens to carry a length of rope around with her at all times!

The lasso might work, actually. It does not sap her strength. However, it is indestructible. If she were tied up by it, she could not break it. Again, good luck taking it from her and tying her up with it. But it would lead to some interesting bondage ryona if done successfully. In some versions of WW, the person tied up by the lasso is even forced to obey commands (altough it is not clear if this is a power from the lasso or Wonder Woman).

The Earth-Two version of Wonder Woman is much weaker (altough still stronger than the TV series version).
Finally, you could wait for the Wonder Woman movie, and set her power level based on that. I wouldn't hold my breath though. There's been talk of a WW movie since 2001.

randomguy

Ryonani Teamster
yeah wonder woman is insanely powerful though not near the resiliant as other powerhouse heroines or heroes. She can be beaten with skill though as mentioned she is one of the best hand-to -hand fighters in DC(the top three are Cassandra Cain, Lady Shiva, and Black Canary respectively...yeah women in DCU are much stronger then the ones running around in Marvel which is kinda why Marvel ladies don't have books for long on their own)and she is really good at gladiator style weaponry so you'd have to use a powerhouse or someone with a lot of skill to take Wonder Woman down.

Oh I have not known Wonder Woman in modern writing to have super speed.
side note Dethstroke has taken Wonder Woman's lasso though he didn't use it on her he just took it in the middle of a fight because..he didn't want it used on him he didn't try and use it on her because that usually does NOT end well.

oh and about the Minotaur Crecy(or however it is spelled) has them and several creatures called Beastiomorphs as minions...so to Wondie they are dime a dozen enemies

Trigon

Casual Client
Oh I have not known Wonder Woman in modern writing to have super speed.

Yeah, I hesisitated to add the speed thing. I also haven't seen her display sustained long term super speed. I figured it was just another new power they added to her recently, since I don't really follow wonder woman comics closely. The source for the speed figures I quoted was The DC Comics Encyclopedia, so take that for what it's worth*.
She has to be capable of at least short term or close combat bursts of speed in order to be able to fight with speedsters like Supes or Flash. (Otherwise they'd just run rings around her.) That might fall under super reflexes rather than super speed, however.

* Oh, I misread it. Apparently it refers to her maximum flight speed, not ground speed.

Attachments

• job94sk.jpg
    job94sk.jpg
    456.9 KB · Views: 263
  • wonder-woman-vs-symboite-spider-man-10942.jpg
    wonder-woman-vs-symboite-spider-man-10942.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 256

Raden

Wordsmith
Ryonani Teamster
Damn it, why do things like that have to be so hard? What good is a hero if there's not at least one weakness... lol. I always loved sooperhero1's stories, now I doubly do because of all the total bullshit she has to try to balance. I'm not much of a comic fan, so I'd never be able to do it justice. Perhaps I should look at something else. lol. Thanks for all the information.

eyeteeth

Ryonani Teamster
i do not know if there is a specific minotaur villain, but there are minotaurs. for a while Wonder Woman had a minotaur chef.

there is also no specific thing that makes Wonder Woman weak, however she is a magical heroine so it would not be hard to just say that someone gave a powerful minotaur a magical item that strips Amazonians of their powers. there was a time when Wonder Woman was completely depowered and became a secret agent.

Raden

Wordsmith
Ryonani Teamster
I dunno, I don't think anything I come up with would be good enough. I will leave the superhero stories to the people who actually know what they are talking about. :p

When in doubt however, change the victim...

randomguy

Ryonani Teamster
honestly you can just say the enemy is stronger then her. Wondie has been over powered by many an enemy

Raden

Wordsmith
Ryonani Teamster
I suppose that is what fiction is all about... you get to write whatever you want...

Fuck it, I'm going for it. lol.

randomguy

Ryonani Teamster
do what you want you can even have it kinda like in some of my znalaras were the girl tries to fight the enemy turns out to be more powerful to her shock and then she gets defeated and humiliated

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.