Legacy of the Void (1 Viewer)

d£t

nu
Ryonani Teamster
Mostly gonna be criticizing this game, but I'll start off by saying I've been a huge fan of the franchise since the original so in all honesty, the fanboy in me was looking forward to the close of the story arc.

This one felt the weakest by a wide margin in the SC2 trilogy. I was able to play through the campaign for Wings of Liberty and Heart of the Swarm without cheats, but man this one was testing my patience.

Was it just me or was the vibe of this game really far off base from the originals? Granted I haven't played the originals for nearly a decade, but I don't remember it stooping to this level of mediocrity. It's chock full of good bits like prophecies, councils, fate, destiny and unnecessary self-sacrifice. The only phrase missing from storytelling bingo was 'the chosen one'.

I'm not saying the use of those themes automatically makes for a lousy story, but hot damn did it feel lazy. The game itself is fine in technical aspects. The mechanics are solid and likely the best in the genre. The visuals were on point and the voice-actors really save the characters from falling flat. I suppose the most direct comparison I can make is that this felt like a Michael Bay Transformers movie wrapped in an RTS package.

If you want to see a bunch of shit blowing up, it works, but I definitely wanted and expected more for the grand finale. Really the most enjoyment I got out of this particular installment was flying around with 50 void rays and their chain attack upgrade. Wrapping up a franchise that started over 15 years ago is obviously a tall order and they manage to get most of the major loose ends, it just wasn't all that satisfying to experience.

Admittedly I've been getting increasingly jaded by video games as of late so maybe I'm judging it too harshly. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

Sausage&Eggs

Club Regular
I enjoyed it a lot to be honest. I think you may be right regarding the mash up of tropes I was quite disappointed with it myself. The story didn't feel right to me at all. It kind of irritates me in a way, especially the whole sacrifice thing. I get it. It is in their genes/history. Adun, mass of other templars, Tassadar and Artanis even. But it feels like they are using it as a scape goat and I suspect the fact that whenever they want they can just bring them back as Dragoons/Immortals if they still have the tech is kind of cheap way out in itself. I get it, "My life for Aiur!" and all that but there comes a point where it just becomes ... boring? The impact just isn't the same.

Protoss is my favourite race and I love playing as them. I love their designs and I like their pragmatism but this campaign didn't do them any justice in my opinion.

In terms of difficulty... It was a bit of a slog for me. Not really hard just consuming more time than I'd like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.