General issue - not quite a suggestion (1 Viewer)

The ZIL Organization

Club Regular
This is not a suggestion.

Rather, I feel it relevant to mention that I have been noticing site performance issues for at least 2 months since February 2021. Site is slow, sometimes updating is slow, sometimes making changes take a long time, sometimes can't even get in to this site.

I doubt this has anything to do with my system, given that I have no such problems with other sites.

d£t

nu
Ryonani Teamster
I haven't heard of any other reports of site performance issues in the past couple months. Is this consistent or off and on? There's a lot of optimization on the site for it to feel responsive to most actions besides file uploads. A site backup runs during the night around 10:00 UTC so if you're only active around that time, you'll see a bit of a slow down for an hour or two.

The ZIL Organization

Club Regular
OK, to give an example, goose.

About 5 minutes before I posted (this time stamp), it was taking a long time to:
1) read notifications
2) enter any forum
took about 2-3 minutes, which is unexpected for modern websites.

d£t

nu
Ryonani Teamster
Yeah that was an hour before backups started so I'd say unrelated to that. That sort of latency is well outside the norms. I'm half the world away from the physical server the site is hosted on and pages load nearly instantly for me.

As I don't have any other members reporting this and I don't see high load or poor performance logged on the server, the issue is most likely between your computer/phone and the server which neither of us have control over.

In the off chance it's something with your computer, I can make a few recommendations to try in case the issue is on your end if you know how:
  • If you're using a VPN, don't use it. If you're not using one and you have access to one, see if it's still slow when going through a VPN.
  • Try a private/incognito browser session and see if you see the same issue
  • Try using a different DNS server
You can also see if you get high latency or packet loss to these networks as they sit between all members and the server:

Sorry I can't be of more help.

The ZIL Organization

Club Regular
OK, I tried getting to this forum today.

Took more than 1 minute.

Then when I clicked on messages, got this “Oops! We ran into some problems. Please try again later. More error details may be in the browser console. “

Then after a few minutes I tried, and it took maybe another 20 seconds before I could see your current post (above this post).

I'm not using a VPN, but definitely I don't know what my ISP is up to. I have a dynamic DNS (is that what you call it) because it's cheaper.

fleet

Staff
Admin
Forums Moderator
RM Moderator
Content Creator
If you're using an ad blocker, try turning it off.
Also, try using a different browser.

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.