Dynamic hair question (1 Viewer)

stuntcock

Content Creator
I have looked over this tutorial several times but I think I am missing the obvious. Dynamic Hair Positioning Do you draw the hair on the main stage or on the dynamic hair layers you intend to use?
Hair sprites are drawn on the layers which you intend to use. But it quickly gets complicated, because the loading process is very opaque. SDT does not provide any status or error messages when it attempts to load your SWF hairstyle. If a particular strand of hair fails to appear then the reason might be mundane (e.g. one of your subsequently-loaded strands has been set to overwrite=true, so the latter strand is removing/replacing the first strand) ... or it might involve SDt modding arcana.

For example: you might draw a long hair strand (e.g. ponytail) and then subdivide it into segments -- giving each segment a semicircular endcap exactly as the tutorial explains. But merely drawing those shapes onto the canvas is not enough. Each segment of the hair strand must be declared as a separate Symbol within your project, or else SDT will not load and animate it correctly.

----------------​

You might find it useful to open up a working FLA project file and tinker with it: scribble on the sprites, add or remove segments from some of the hair strands, play around with layering, etc. My own hair mods employ non-standard Loader scripting which makes them unsuitable as learning resources, but Dante's FLA collection includes dozens of dynamic hair projects. You might be able to find one of Dante's published SWF mods which loosely resembles your project, and then lookup the corresponding FLA file and learn how the various pieces of Dante's mod fit together.

Alternatively, you could upload your WIP file. We could then explain any errors or omissions, get the file into a compile-able state, and send it back so that you can resume working on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.