3.9 KB · Views: 406

metal_table.svg
6.6 KB · Views: 431

leather_couch.svg
10.1 KB · Views: 568

sby

Content Creator
Coder
were these happen to be made in flash? if so, provide the source.

cause ideally, i would add them into animtool's flash project, and add some code and such to hide/place the furniture on the background layer while in edit mode and save out the visibility and positions of the furniture in the position file.

then the furniture would become part of the position.

of course, i would include an animtools setting to enable/disable the furniture feature.

i don't foresee any difficulties in adding this capability, should be easy to do. (although it is plenty more position coding as a whole)

but yeah, if you want this stuff to be potentially added, also upload flash project. (and i really hope they are drawn in flash, cause that seems to be the way to get actually good quality artwork)

S

skullhammer

Unfortunately they were drawn in a vector graphics app and exported to SVG and PNG.

Are there other options?

1. animtools code import and draw vector graphics file like PSD or PDF (I understand that Flash can't import SVG without a 3rd party library).

2. animtools code import and draw bitmap graphics file like PNG. Not good for resizing the prop as it's not vector graphics.

3. Convince the Flash artists in the forum to contribute to the props though I believe they mostly work their magic on templates, etc. and not code.

4. Others like me to learn to code in Flash. What tools do I need for least amount of money? Can I use open-source tools like Eclipse with a Flash compiler or do I need CS?

For right now it's pretty easy to import the SVG into a graphics editor and place and resize as necessary. There is usually two iterations between the graphics editor and SDT in getting the position and size right with tweaking in SDT with the camera controls. But long term your idea would be best.

ModGuy

Content Creator
skullhammer said:
4. Others like me to learn to code in Flash. What tools do I need for least amount of money? Can I use open-source tools like Eclipse with a Flash compiler or do I need CS?

FlashDevelop can embed svg files.
Have a look at the mod here for more info:

http://www.sdtmods.com/index.php?topic=4780.0

FlashDevelop source is included although keep in mind that my implementation is not ideal.

S

skullhammer

Attachments

• lying_upright_light_no_clothes.png
    lying_upright_light_no_clothes.png
    65.1 KB · Views: 540
  • lying_back_light_no_clothes.png
    lying_back_light_no_clothes.png
    63.7 KB · Views: 441
  • lying_guy_light_no_clothes.png
    lying_guy_light_no_clothes.png
    48 KB · Views: 553

Renegade

Potential Patron
Wow this thread seems promising :o. I can't wait to see more. These should work great for my characters.

karlpaws

Potential Patron
Here is the desk and chair from the other thread, cut out from the classroom background I had them in.

I also have a bench, and the locker room background I used it in.

The first locker pic would work with any position, while the second one is a little low. It does work well for some positions that would move the knees below the bottom of the frame.

Attachments

• row of lockers with bench.png
    row of lockers with bench.png
    27 KB · Views: 454
  • row of lockers with bench and ground.png
    row of lockers with bench and ground.png
    119 KB · Views: 538
  • basic chair.png
    basic chair.png
    16.4 KB · Views: 347
  • basic school desk.png
    basic school desk.png
    26.1 KB · Views: 370
  • bench.png
    bench.png
    5.9 KB · Views: 315
S

skullhammer

Excellent @karlpaws. I was about to make a locker room bench and I definitely wanted the classroom chair.

Slingerbult

Content Creator
The advantage with the furniture as part of the position approach is that animtools tend to jump around a bit, especially when zooming. If she's always on the table (for instance), no matter what you do, that's great. The problem is that I assume we will now how x^y position files instead of x, one for each combination of position and furniture? Good naming protocols will be essential it seems.

karlpaws

Potential Patron
I'm not sure what you're getting at Slingerbult..

Zooming does not, as far as I know, work with animtools at all. It just reset to the default position or gets messed up (at least for mine it does, since I tend to use x3 or x2.5 zooms).

It is also why I use the old 700x600 sizes for my backgrounds, since the zooming is no longer a bonus. If we had a true perspective change, moving the camera higher/lower and not in/out, that could be useful.

skullhammer: You have had a lot more success making the static guys and using the hidden-him setting. I think my issue was using static pictures of other characters, and having to deal with the pose they were already in.

I also have a computer on a desk, might be suitable for an office, that I will post in a while. Any other furniture you might need in the future, just in case I have something I haven't looked at yet?

sby

Content Creator
Coder
i could proxy the g.sceneLayer.updateCamera function and remove the x,y camera aiming and only keep the zoom feature.

this is used to zoom in towards the face when starting out in the middle of the screen.

maybe have it so the camera can still shift when a position is not loaded, that would probably make most people happy.

edit - cause i thought it was probably a nice thing to fix, implemented zooming in animtools. positions can set a point to zoom towards. the camerax and cameray setting are also maintained so you can zoom in and out and the camera will be in the same place where you started.

expect in next release
(proxy made this considerably cleaner to implement)

S

skullhammer

Right, the Vanilla SDT zoom does not work with animtools; however, the Camera Mod works great and I use the mod exclusively to fine tune the characters with the props.

@slingerbult is right if the props can be sized and positioned in the position file. Then the zoom and pan would rescale and move all characters and props together as a group. Again I am thinking of how the Camera mod works.

@sby I believe the Camera mod is enough and shouldn't need to alter the Vanilla zoom.

Yes, some users will have a geometric explosion of combinations of backgrounds, prop, and positions but that really is no different than hair, clothes, etc.

S

skullhammer

sby said:
positions can set a point to zoom towards

That's a great idea!

We still need the capability to resize/translate the character/prop group separately at game time so we don't have to iterate a bunch of times in getting props size and positioned in the background. Of course, if the props can be sized and positioned in animtools edit mode that shouldn't be a problem.

S

skullhammer

karlpaws said:
Any other furniture you might need in the future, just in case I have something I haven't looked at yet?

Better bed and stuffed chairs. How about some stairs (a few steps and maybe the side view of a stair case).

I used some perspective on some of my furniture and a camera view slightly above the furniture but it looks terrible in most backgrounds. I like your more 2D (or head on) look much better like with the classroom desk and chair or the minimal depth with the locker room bench and my (borrowed) executive desk and couch. I recommend using the minimal depth look with no perspective from here on out.

One idea I am going to play with is a cutaway side view of a shower stall (cutaway as we cannot yet put props in front of the characters). If we could put some props in front (and some props behind) I would build a bathtub and hot tub.

Another thing we need is to compile bare bones backgrounds (empty rooms, etc) that are conducive to adding props. I have collected a handful from other threads but it would be nice to post them to a dedicated thread as this is to support animtools. Should I create a sub-thread in the Loader forum or post them to the main Backgrounds thread?

sby

Content Creator
Coder
skullhammer said:
sby said:
positions can set a point to zoom towards

That's a great idea!

We still need the capability to resize/translate the character/prop group separately at game time so we don't have to iterate a bunch of times in getting props size and positioned in the background. Of course, if the props can be sized and positioned in animtools edit mode that shouldn't be a problem.

as i have mentioned before, if the props are supplied in some type of flash project where i can import the movieclip easily into animtools, the position files can specify the location and scale of the props. with the props being part of animtools this should greatly decrease having to load specific backgrounds with a set zoom to make positions+props work.

havn't tried actually putting something in like that, but seems pretty easy

karlpaws

Potential Patron
Here are a few things I was working on cutting out.

I don't draw as many original things, since my sense of perspective and mastery of paint shop pro isn't that great. What I do manage does turn out flat and textureless, but that does work for some things that can be quite simple... benches, unadorned chairs, etc. Couches are going to be beyond me.

What do you have in mind for stairs? Just the bottom few steps from the side? Or first three steps we look directly at, landing, then a right angle and staircase ascending from that?

Attachments

• couch and teatable.png
    couch and teatable.png
    104.1 KB · Views: 331
  • rustic table and chairs.png
    rustic table and chairs.png
    54.9 KB · Views: 295
  • ottoman.png
    ottoman.png
    6.3 KB · Views: 256

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.