The girls from RWBY (1 Viewer)

Rudgar

Content Creator
Hello and welcome1
you not get what I'm saying I'm trying figure out how to save on the internet in the website for look here https://mirror.fleshless.org/sdt/sdt.swf
Umm as far as I know this game is not meant to be played in the internet in particular not on someone else's website beside that websites in general aren't meant to allow visitors saving any of their data there just as they please I would highly recommend to download the game or even better a loader package (open the spoiler named "Loader bundles I'm playing with yet") to save it on your local pc's harddisk and play it there by the way I'm pretty curious f you understand at all what I'm talking about when I use as much periods as you use :wink: sorry for being a bit oldfashioned with grammar and stuff.

Respectfully,
Rudgar

Samoth

Staff
Admin
Forums Moderator
Discord Moderator
Content Creator
2D Artist
Writer
I've rumbled out from whatever rock I've been sleeping under to bring more and start rounding out the collection, per se. Today's update brings Ruby's Volume 4 Outfit, which I'm labeling as "Post-Timeskip" until something comes along to make that moot (i.e. she gets yet another new outfit and I'm forced to label by Volume or something).

Z1C2hO0.png

Shots of her arms:
Shot of her right arm:
5CjLGLO.png

Shot of her left arm:
HxzZzMx.png
The costume can be found here: Ruby Rose Post-Timeskip Outfit

The hair is a variant of Maineim's Ruby Rose hair and can be found in his thread (you'll want the third one, the one that doesn't come with a cape included): Stuff by Maineim (2-2-14 RWBY's Penny)

Last edited:

Samoth

Staff
Admin
Forums Moderator
Discord Moderator
Content Creator
2D Artist
Writer
For the longest time I had a misconception. Specifically that SDT's inherent costumes were a good enough substitute for Glynda's outfit; it's why I didn't make a costume mod for her back when I was on my 'spree' of filling in all the people not on team RWBY. Someone recently brought this fact to my attention, which caused me to take a closer look. In doing so, I realized that the stuff SDT had wasn't enough.

I imagine you can see where this is going.

One minor blip on the radar: the original hair made by Maineim (which, for completeness' sake, can be found here: Stuff by Maineim (2-2-14 RWBY's Penny)) didn't really look right. Specifically because of the cape having a piece overapping the core costume and looking awkward. So I modified it to suit my tastes - a fancy way of saying I removed the cape from the hair mod.

This is the result of that work.

Am8Q907.png

Hair Download: Glynda Goodwitch Hair (No Cape)
Costume Download: Glynda Goodwitch Outfit

Samoth

Staff
Admin
Forums Moderator
Discord Moderator
Content Creator
2D Artist
Writer
Her glasses are part of the hair mod, right? The earrings aren't.
Respectfully, Rudgar

Correct. The earrings are part of SDT, as are the leggings she's wearing.

Both are included in the character code formatting and can be removed if need be; the glasses, however, are part of the hair mod.

wonderwall

Potential Patron
Superb work for a great franchise I would love to see it expand. Would you consider making their Beacon Academy school uniform?

I'll find some references if there is an interest. Still relatively new to the whole SDT scene here but I'll help whichever way I can.

Cheers!

Samoth

Staff
Admin
Forums Moderator
Discord Moderator
Content Creator
2D Artist
Writer
The rumblings continue; this time with Weiss' post-timeskip outfit.

b2bIzfW.png

The costume can be found here: Weiss Schnee Post-Timeskip Outfit

The hair was made by Maineim and can be found here: Stuff by Maineim (2-2-14 RWBY's Penny)

Superb work for a great franchise I would love to see it expand. Would you consider making their Beacon Academy school uniform?

Perhaps. I'd have to take a look at them again, I barely remember what they look like at this point (I mean in general, not for the purpose of references at the moment). I DO know that I want to at least finish out the ones I'm already working through (i.e. the 6* Post-Timeskip outfits).

*Asterisk on the 6 because I'm still not sure how many Yang's going to get. I can see 3 separate, equally valid options for a costume and it's entirely possible that I might do multiple

Samoth

Staff
Admin
Forums Moderator
Discord Moderator
Content Creator
2D Artist
Writer
What about Raven's outfit?

The big issue with doing Raven at the moment is the lack of a hair mod for her. My personal rule of thumb is to not do costumes for characters without a hair mod (unless it can be acceptably approximated by a current hair mod, or the character has no "correct" hair mod as is the case with the Warframe suits I've done) and as of now I'm not confident enough with making hairs to try and recreate hers. It's also just dissimilar enough from Yang's that I'm not really happy with taking the Yang hair and coloring it black as a stopgap measure.

noble4259

Potential Patron
The big issue with doing Raven at the moment is the lack of a hair mod for her. My personal rule of thumb is to not do costumes for characters without a hair mod (unless it can be acceptably approximated by a current hair mod, or the character has no "correct" hair mod as is the case with the Warframe suits I've done) and as of now I'm not confident enough with making hairs to try and recreate hers. It's also just dissimilar enough from Yang's that I'm not really happy with taking the Yang hair and coloring it black as a stopgap measure.
Yeah it's the same with the Malchite twins. Both don't have hair mods but really interesting outfits. It'd be cool if the outfits Team RWBY used during season two when fighting the mech was done too. Wouldn't mind seeing Coco and Velevet, but neither of them have hair mods.

Samoth

Staff
Admin
Forums Moderator
Discord Moderator
Content Creator
2D Artist
Writer
Any idea how much longer for timeskip Yang?

Depends what is meant by "timeskip." The way I saw it, there were 2 interpretations - Volume 4 Yang (i.e. 'moping around the house without an arm' Yang) or the outfit she had on at the very end of Volume 4 (which, presumably, is going to be her new 'battle gear' going forward and is what I would personally actually call her "Post-Timeskip outfit").

The latter will take some time (personally not looking forward to it too much given the lack of good quality references but I THINK I'll be able to make it work), but the former won't. Mainly because it already took time. And is done.

I decided during development that it wouldn't be fair to only give Yang her battle gear and entirely throw out potential character development (and possible dialogue ideas for anyone so inclined) by not giving her an outfit based on Volume 4. Well, outfits. I couldn't decide which to do so I took the "(D) All of the Above" route and made 3: Yang with her jacket, Yang with her new arm, and Yang with neither (i.e. Bandaged arm).

jzxz2pd.png
ZEcvrp8.png
NVRI2fB.png

Bandaged Arm Costume: Yang Xiao Long Volume 4 Outfit (Bandaged Arm)
Jacket Costume: Yang Xiao Long Volume 4 Outfit (Jacket)
New Arm Costume: Yang Xiao Long Volume 4 Outfit (New Arm)

Given no one has made her hair tied back, I'm still using Maineim's Yang hair. For completeness' sake, that can be found in his thread here: Stuff by Maineim (2-2-14 RWBY's Penny)

I'll be working on making her 'battle gear' (and continuing under the assumption that it will actually BE her gear rather than wearing an overcoat of some sort over her actual outfit) next.

As an aside: my current plans are to finish out the post-timeskip outfits (Yang, Nora, Cinder) and MAYBE (heavy emphasis on the maybe) do a generic Beacon Academy uniform. I have no intentions of doing any other costumes for the time being with the exception of maybe making outfits for other characters as (good quality) hairs are made (this mainly applies to Raven and Salem), or if Volume 5 includes additional significant costume changes for the important characters.

Samoth

Staff
Admin
Forums Moderator
Discord Moderator
Content Creator
2D Artist
Writer
Last edited:

Samoth

Staff
Admin
Forums Moderator
Discord Moderator
Content Creator
2D Artist
Writer
Any way we could see coco and velvet from team CFVY? I can get references if needed.

Eventually. Some sooner, some later.

V4ZZOw1.png
Costume Download Link
(This costume was added AFTER the release of the hair initially, which is why this may now seem slightly incongruous - I just didn't want to leave the anachronism of "hairs but no good costumes" here, so I've updated the pictures.)

I figured it'd be best to make variant hairs in case anyone wanted Coco without one or both of her accessories. All 4 variants (Normal, Beret only, Glasses only, and No Accessories) can be found below. The captions to the right of each image are also hyperlinks to the hair .PNG files themselves. For uniqueness' sake (and because I don't want to clog the Resource Manager too much) I will only be uploading the "Normal" variant to the RM. I won't be editing the link below for the sake of parity (i.e. all 4 links lead to the same result, a hair .png).

MAaLQZj.png
Beret and Glasses Hair.png
aHynceV.png
Beret only.png
17zsqZS.png
Glasses only.png
ztUdhoF.png
No accessories.png

It is worth noting that the outfit above is only temporary. For the time being, it can be replicated with this character code:

EDIT: I have now made the proper costume to go with this. Thus the following bit about the temporary outfit is moot; however, the code can still be useful to those who don't want to use the costume .swf file for whatever reason. That's why I'm not deleting it.
Code:
charName:Coco;mood:Normal;bodyScale:1;arms:back,onhislegs;throatResist:50;hair:sdchan,1,1;iris:bright,62,39,29,1;breasts:80;skin:light;nose:normal;ear:normal;lipstick:0,0,0,0,0;eyeshadow:0,0,0,0;sclera:255,255,255,1;blush:0,0,0,0;freckles:60,24,24,0.8,0;mascara:0,0,0,0,20;nailpolish:0,0,0,0;eyebrow:normal,49,0,0,1,0,0,0,1;hairhsl:0,1,1,1;skinhsl:0,1.06,3.03,0.19;hisskinhsl:0,1,1,1;bg:3;hisBody:male;hisPenis:0,1,1;balls:0,1;hisSkin:0;hisTop:shirt,238,242,245,1;hisBottoms:slacks,27,29,29,1;hisFootwear:loafers,0,0,0,1;collar:none,204,0,0,1,204,0,0,1;cuffs:none,204,0,0,1,204,0,0,1;gag:none,0,0,0,1;panties:none,255,255,255,1;top:none,0,0,0,1;armwear:wristglove,0,0,0,1;bottoms:jeans,0,0,0,1,0,0,0,1;tops:tshirt,199,112,64,1;legwear:none,28,0,0,0.902,28,0,0,0.902;footwear:highheel,0,0,0,1,0,0,0,1;eyewear:none,0,0,0,1;headwear:none,24,24,24,1,68,64,62,1;tonguePiercing:none,183,187,195,1;herTan:none,0.13

As I have never made a .PNG hair before (this much is true - the one hair I did make from scratch was a .SWF file), all feedback/criticism/etc. is appreciated so that I can get better.

EDIT: Updated with new pictures (and related hairs) in line with edits made per feedback.
EDIT (10/30/2017): Made tweaks due to release of costume mod.

Last edited:

stuntcock

Content Creator
As I have never made a .PNG hair before (this much is true - the one hair I did make from scratch was a .SWF file), all feedback/criticism/etc. is appreciated so that I can get better.
Most obvious thing: it's usually not necessary to crop hair around the ear. Try to layer hair above or below the ear instead.

You can often draw a contiguous "scalp" or "skullcap" of hair on the UNDER layer (top-right quadrant). The OVER layer (top-left) quadrant can then contain a few strands of hair (or accessories) which ought to have more visual prominence.

milyQfN.jpg

It's admittedly a pain-in-the-ass to make any adjustments to your work when it's split across several quadrants. It would probably be best to draw everything in one place (as you've done) and then move specific elements (or entire layers) to different quadrants only at the final moments -- testing and publishing. I definitely find it easier to manage this kind of thing in Flash, because I can assign hair strands to different layers but see them all into the same coordinate space; it's a better WYSIWYG "preview" of the hair's in-game appearance.

You might ask: why bother with any of this? The changes that I've suggested above involve extra work, and they won't change the in-game appearance of the hairstyle.

1. Ear options. The current PNG would look a bit silly with Small or Elf ears; there would be an exposed patch of bare skin behind the ear. It's a minor flaw (and it's arguably the player's fault for applying the "wrong" ear) but it's usually possible for our custom hairstyles to accommodate this sort of customization. SDT is designed around this kind of mix-and-match content flexibility, so we might as well support it wherever possible.

2. Accessory layering. Import the "No Accessories" version of your hairstyle. Add a vanilla eyewear item (such as Mari glasses or Blindfold). Note that the "arm" of the SDT eyewear item is drawn above your hair -- even though the arm of Coco's actual sunglasses was hidden.

3. Body contact. Your Coco hairstyle is laid out in a very sensible way. It doesn't normally need to consider interactions with body layers because there's no reason for the hair to touch the girl's body. But such contact can occur if animtools changes the tilt of the girl's head -- and then we find that the extended hair strand clips into her clavicle.

4. Dynamics. Similar to the previous point. Let's assume that the hairstyle becomes very popular and we decide to animate it. Dynamic hair strands are much more likely to overlap with each other, or with static elements of the hairstyle, or with parts of the girl's body. It's easier to animate a hairstyle if specific sections have already been designated for special treatment. In this case we could probably ignore the "scalp" section entirely (i.e. leave it static) and focus all of the animation work on the top-left quadrant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.