Spriting - the amateur way! (1 Viewer)

Thinker

Potential Patron
Well I've made my first attempt of spriting my game concepts heroine ... not much to look at so far so I'll try and update once she's more full bodied ... or at all bodied, but still, its a start.

trial.jpg

Thinker

Potential Patron
Yeah ... animating, right now I'm mainly struggling to do limbs :p

trial2.jpg

I also think I need practice on doing metal armour and cloth (above not fully coloured).

Unrelated

Ryonani Teamster
What are you using to make these sprites? Can always take images of people from games/movies/whatever in similar poses to what you're looking for, and sort of draw over them on another layer in most image editing software, making alterations as necessary. Makes sprite proportions super easy.

Thinker

Potential Patron
What are you using to make these sprites? Can always take images of people from games/movies/whatever in similar poses to what you're looking for, and sort of draw over them on another layer in most image editing software, making alterations as necessary. Makes sprite proportions super easy.

I'm using GIMP so I can make use of layers, I'm using certain over sprites for reference but trying for the most part to have a go myself.

Edit: I know I'm probably going abit slow, but another update.

trial3.jpg

The sword-shape is just a placeholder as I wanted to get the grip looking somewhat right. Also not sure if the limbs and the feet look right (was going to add some sort roman sandals later).

Last edited by a moderator:
V

VileCorp

I'd suggest giving her limbs more muscles. Don't have to be a bodybuilder, but little bit of curving would help, in my opinion :)

noice1

Potential Patron
Hey, that looks pretty good! Although, that garb almost makes her look like a slave, if she didn't have a sword.

Thinker

Potential Patron
Yes the clothes need some work I think ... but I'm certainly trying for something Red Sonya-esque for her.

Perhaps abit more armour.

TheCrimsonRisk

Ryonani Teamster
I don't have much to add, but I wanted to chime in in support of your work. "Sprite" makes something sound so small, but I can tell you're putting a lot of time into it. Looking good so far, keep it up!

Ellina

Ryonani Teamster
looks nice^^
u also made the outline not only black so it looks better

i would like to add something about hands and foots
i think u could make less details for fingers and toes
the fingers could look to thick
and also fingers got different height

Thinker

Potential Patron
Thanks for the suggestions ... gave her calves abit more tone and tuned out some of the details on the fingers and toes. Also worked on her clothing and added more armour and details, hopefully looks abit less slave girl and abit more warrioress.

trialx.jpg

Should I add in a second shoulderpad? Also the cleavage looks abit odd, thinking of softening the colour. So other than that I think all I have left is detailing the sword, doing the footwear

.... than I can actually start on a second frame :p

P.S. Weren't you taking up spriting too Ellina? hows that going?

Unrelated

Ryonani Teamster
When designing armor, try to give some thought to the function. The shoulder pad is fine where it is if she's using a shield and has her sword arm behind her when she's not swinging. But that's not how she's standing in that picture.
But then, I'm that guy that actually hates chainmail bikinis and armor that shows cleavage. So there's that.

Thinker

Potential Patron
Afraid the 'chainmail' bikini is a guilty pleasure of mine, so I'll say that practical armour probably isn't going to show up here I'm afraid ...

If its any consolation I was planning on having 'breakable' armour anyway :p

Ellina

Ryonani Teamster
looks cleaner now at hands and feet^^
hm
next thing could be her elbow and her hip
i cant really say why but something i don't like on her right hip side =/

her face reminds me of the dragon ball stile
like dragon quest too

atm i have exam in two days...
so i try to learn and keep my head clean but in the last 2 days...
its like "what the hell can i learn what i haven't already learned and hold inside my head for 2 days?!"
so sprite painting have to wait =P

for animating:
try to do not only one second frame
make all frames for a little animation u need in outlines first and see if they flew nice or not, before coloring em all
so u don't need to change much in one of the frames if its wrong

Thinker

Potential Patron
Her right or our right?

And I'll try and work on the elbows, as mentioned, limbs are not my strongest area.

And goodluck on your exams.

K

Kyrieru

I was going to explain my advice, but god dammit it's just easier to give examples. I made a bunch of changes in some of the the areas I was going to mention.
sprite0.png

First of all, outlines. You should try breaking up the lines sometimes, as it helps to give more of a sense of shape. As an example..
3e83b707dc6bdd0273cc86a1372a5880.pngg

4647b878f6cbded9f6702b48e71a5322.png

Also, I don't know if it was because the image was compressed, but you seemed to have quite a few colors that had very little variation. That is, a blue would be next to a blue that was so similar that it's difference wasn't visible at a glance. This may not effect much visibly, but it's good to nail down a set of colors and re-use them where you can, rather than coming up with tons of shades on the fly. It helps a lot when you have to color multiple frames of animation, as it keeps things consistent.

Also, color. A good strategy is to give brighter colors more saturation, and give dark colors less.

Anyhow, I need to sleep. Keep up the good work!

K

Kyrieru

Actually, ignoring the few major changes I made like the head and the sword, most of the differences are actually pretty small. The right shading was often already there, it' just that the choice colors and shades could have been a bit better. But in comparison to what you can already do, it's a skill easily acquired. Your doing pretty damn well considering you've just started. (a LOT better than me when I started...)

Toffi

Content Creator
Color me impressed, guys, that's some good work. I wish I could do sprites that way. But well, at the moment I don't have the motivation to learn spriting in that manner (I don't even know if I'd be able to), so for now I'll just stick with my lazy technique.
And I'm quite sure making games by hand is a preeeeetty time-consuming project.

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.