More speech triggers for DialogDisplayEdit (1 Viewer)

sby

Content Creator
Coder
Ah this is very sweet.
But I'm a bit concerned about this way of doing, you're not gonna update your mod each time someone plan to use a new color.
For example, if one have a dialog with several characters, and want to define colors matching their hair and/or eyes color for each character to ease identification, they probably won't match the hardcoded colors and will come to you with an update request.
Further more, as background and textcolors have to be contrasted, it would require a lot of different colors.
You're already doing so much for the community, I don't want you to add more work uppon yourself dude!

I don't know much about AS flexibility, it probably requires every variable declared, so I understand that my proposition would probably imply using arrays and cycling them all several times if you had to parse a configuration file with a structure that could change, then cycling them over again to check if the trigger is requesting something defined, that I know to be quite anoying.

So here is my idea:
why not adding one more alt style, called custom, that could be set over triggers like [dde_setcustom_bgmult_<red_mult_value>_<green_mult_value>_<blue_mult_value>], [dde_setcustom_textmult_<red_mult_value>_<green_mult_value>_<blue_mult_value>], and [dde_setcustom_bgcolor_<######>] (using the web rrggbb format) and [dde_setcustom_textcolor_<######>], used with {"style":"SpeakCustom"}, {"style":"ThoughtCustom} and {"style":"HimCustom"}
That way, every user could define any bg and text color for one specific style at any time.
You could even add the possibility to use [dialogdisplayedit_<style>_custom] for more flexibility.

What do you think about this?
threw some stuff together, see if this works
dialogdisplayedit

Dr Neutral

Content Creator
threw some stuff together, see if this works
dialogdisplayedit

Hi, sby.
I've tested a bit the last version of the mod. It seems like your triggers have some odd behaviour with the line-calling triggers.

For example, this line works perfectly; the colours are changed and the next line is called.
line1:"[dialogdisplayedit_sethimcustomstyle_000000_ffffff][line2]" {"style":"HimCustom"}

These two change the colours but does not trigger the next line.
line1:"[line2][dialogdisplayedit_sethimcustomstyle_000000_ffffff]" {"style":"HimCustom"}
line1:"[dialogdisplayedit_sethimcustomstyle_000000_ffffff]" {"style":"HimCustom", "next":"line2"}

My uneducated guess is that it might be trying to find a "dialogdisplayedit_sethimcustomstyle_000000_ffffff" line to show as the next dialogue line.

Anyway, thanks for all your work.

sby

Content Creator
Coder
Hi, sby.
I've tested a bit the last version of the mod. It seems like your triggers have some odd behaviour with the line-calling triggers.

For example, this line works perfectly; the colours are changed and the next line is called.
line1:"[dialogdisplayedit_sethimcustomstyle_000000_ffffff][line2]" {"style":"HimCustom"}

These two change the colours but does not trigger the next line.
line1:"[line2][dialogdisplayedit_sethimcustomstyle_000000_ffffff]" {"style":"HimCustom"}
line1:"[dialogdisplayedit_sethimcustomstyle_000000_ffffff]" {"style":"HimCustom", "next":"line2"}

My uneducated guess is that it might be trying to find a "dialogdisplayedit_sethimcustomstyle_000000_ffffff" line to show as the next dialogue line.

Anyway, thanks for all your work.
i actually don't do much dialog stuff, so i don't know if this is supposed to work to call a line:{"style":"HimCustom", "next":"line2"}

- edit, apparently this is a thing, and the custom styles are breaking something, will see if i can figure out a way for them to parse them

- edit more. so it is because the next line used in the settings brackets { } gets overridden with the action nextline when it comes across it. I can purge the dialog display actions after the mod sees them so they do not trigger, however i am betting there will be a bit of loading order required to work with the mod DialogActions. this also points out that my other mods that have custom dialog actions also have the same issue xD

however, your other line should work if you have the line you want to play next as the last action:
otherwise i believe the regular sdt dialog code will try to play a line called dialogdisplayedit...

also, you don't have any visible words in that line (it is only made of actions), so the mod is not going to show the empty dialog box.
something like should show:
line1:"This is the him custom style [dialogdisplayedit_sethimcustomstyle_000000_ffffff][line2]" {"style":"HimCustom"}

Last edited:

Dr Neutral

Content Creator
also, you don't have any visible words in that line
I tested it with dialogue (and with other triggers from other mods to see if something weird happens). I did not put a text in the forum message because I though it might confuse you. My bad.

Also, I don't really use the "next":"line" either, but I though to give it a try anyway for testing sake :grin:.

And yes, using the next-line trigger at the end works (as we both have pointed out).

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.