Common issues, aka "I HAVE A PROBLEM RUNNING THIS GAME" (1 Viewer)

d£t

nu
Ryonani Teamster
A lot of ryona games are based on the same freeware game engines and have a few pitfalls that are common.

Unicode language
First off, although AppLocale and NTLEA will let you run most games, a few out there will not run unless you change the non-unicode settings to Japanese (if you don't understand what this is, read the other sticky). If you can't seem to get a game to work with everything else, change this setting.

Extraction
If the game came in a compressed file that you extracted and there are filenames with Japanese characters, the extracting program has to have support for non-unicode characters. From my experience, WinZip and WinRAR could be hit or miss and I had to start them with AppLocale/NTLEA in order to extract them with the original filenames correctly. This seems like a bit of a hassle to me and they always have those obnoxious registration reminders. 7zip seems to have the best support for international languages and is completely free.

Path
One of the more common game engines can be picky about the length of the path the game is in. For example:

Game will not run if it's in the folder C:\Documents and Settings\User\Desktop\Ryona\Games\裏.カイの冒険\

but will run if it's simply in C:\裏.カイの冒険\

Filename
Sometimes, if the file you are trying to run has Japanese characters, it will refuse to run even with AppLocale. In that case, simply change the filename to English (after backing it up first). In case there is a .kgt file with the same filename as the one you are trying to rename, you have to rename it as well, so that both files have the same name.

!tl;dr!
My magic combination for making most ryona games work are the following three:
7zip
Short path
NTLEA

-----------------------

AppLocale for Windows 7

It's been several weeks since I installed a pre-release version of Windows 7 in my home computer. Almost every program I am using frequently runs very smooth in the computer.
Microsoft AppLocale was an exception, until today...

AppLocale is a program that helps you run a non-unicode program in a different locale to what user's windows system is currently running. For example, if you are using a version of Japanese version of Windows system, but you are trying to run a Chinese Version of particular software, AppLocale can help you on this regard. I have a large quantity of mp3 collections have been tagged in Korean, but I am running windows in Chinese Version, it made most of mp3 tags in iTunes become ill-displayed. So, AppLocale become my favorite!

But under Windows 7, AppLocale could not be installed properly in some reason. I tried to look up some information around the web. I scrapped following tip from http://qna.live.com/ShowQuestion.aspx?qid=A012C78EF7304B50BD7972B5F11F69B9
Here's how to install AppLocale on Windows 7:
1. Place the AppLocale installer (apploc.msi) in your C: drive.
2. Go to your start menu, type cmd in the search box.
3. Hold down crtl+shift and click on cmd.exe.
4. Select Yes when a dialog asks if you want the program to make chances to your computer.
5. The command prompt should show C:\Windows\System32.
6. Type cd\ and press enter to navigate to the C: drive.
7. Type apploc.msi and press enter, the installer will appear.
8. Install the application.
Update:
As I updated my Windows 7 to latest Release Candidate (Build 7100), I found that it removed my AppLocale. All the AppLocale generated shortcuts are gone, and as I click the AppLocale, it required me to input the original package.

I tried to repeat the same way to install again, but Windows 7 did not allow me the copy the package into C drive. Here is what I did:

1. Click Start, type "cmd" in search box.
2. Right click the "cmd" icon, and select "run as administrator"
3. Copy the apploc.msi into c:\ in DOS command. (e.g. Copy f:\program\apploc.msi c:\)
4. Run "appLoc.msi" by type it in DOS command.

You have to make sure that you opened the DOS command mode in administrator, otherwise it won't let you copy the file into C drive.

Please read this additional material if you need:
Running Non-English Software on Your English Version of Windows 7 (or Others)

Installing AppLocale in Retail Version of Windows 7 64bit

-----------------------

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.