Introducing XL Backgrounds (poll) (1 Viewer)

Please give you opinion on XL backgrounds

• I like being able to move the characters inside the background

• I like being able to change the daytime

• I like both

• I prefer "normal" backgrounds that are easier to load and save

Results are only viewable after voting.

SyntaxTerror

Content Creator
Hello.

I recently had the idea to make wider backgrounds where one could move in them, so I made some code (and got it corrected by sby sby because I suck at ActionScript) and produced the first "XL" background (I am the first to make these, so I can chose their name :tongue:).

As I have similar references with the same view at different times of the day, I improved it a bit and make this choosable too.

So here's my new background:

4XL Background - Bedroom 02
85524-3ba98e1528c9bd0ac0cfff5859bfdf4f.jpg

After all, I am not sure that this is really nothing more than a gadget, because a specific point of view and/or time of day can be saved and replayed easily, and it is quite useless for saved characters or advanced dialogues.

I would like to get some feedback on this new concept, so please vote in the poll and give your opinion here.

DigitalSmutExports

Content Creator
Awesome!

If you can figure out how to make the preorgasmic flashing cover the entire BG you'll have set a new gold standard!

Peace/DSE

SyntaxTerror

Content Creator
If you can figure out how to make the preorgasmic flashing cover the entire BG you'll have set a new gold standard!
I admit that I haven't tested my backgrounds to this point... :tongue:
For Vanilla, I can already tell that it is not possible.
It may be just a little tinkering with the Loader, but I can't do anything on that issue (this feature is handled by SDT, not the background).
I encourage you to make a Loader request about it.

A

Amdarh

Love the idea, but can't implement it yet :-/
The arrow keys don't work, and I can't find how I can reassign these keys.
Could you help me out?

SyntaxTerror

Content Creator
The arrow keys don't work, and I can't find how I can reassign these keys.
You cannot reassign my XL backgrounds mod keys as far as I know, but the shortcut keys of the Loader may be modified (eg. in Shortcuts.txt).

I don't know much about the Loader as I barely use it, so you may ask in the help section (don't forget to say what mods you are using, what version of the Loader, etc.)

BlueZephyr

Casual Client
I have a small question about your backgrounds. Could you make them so the horizontal movement is more gradual?

If you want to keep the big skips left and right you might could set up a condition that checks how long the left and right arrow keys are pressed. A quick tap moves it like it does now while holding moves it slowly.

SyntaxTerror

Content Creator
Could you make them so the horizontal movement is more gradual?
It is possible to make the background move of one pixel with every key stroke, but if moving of this distance would make movement more smooth, it would also be slower, and that isn't really important as the backgrounds are meant to be still, not moving.
So I think that moving of 20 pixels at each click is enough to give enough points of views while moving fast enough in the scene.
set up a condition that checks how long the left and right arrow keys are pressed.
My mods doesn't care about how long a key is pressed, but the number of times a key is pressed.
It may be possible to do this in ActionScript (dunno, I'm an uber-noob in AS programming :rolleyes:), but as I say above, it is not very important as backgrounds are not meant to be moving while playing SDT.

BlueZephyr

Casual Client
Kinda missed the point of what I had asked, but I do see how it would be troublesome. I'll explain a little better, although I understand that your decision won't change.

The other day I got to thinking about TwiceTest.swf and I remembered how clunky it was to get it working correctly. Then I got the idea to run 2 separate instances of the loader and have them play side by side to each other. They played perfectly when kept at their default size, but I had trouble finding backgrounds that look like they'd be in the same room or area. I loaded up your 2XL Bedroom and it looked great. Only problem was I couldn't get the background to line up too good. I eventually got it looking decent but the gap was too big. I was curious if the left/right movement could be lessened some so I could get the 2 screens lined up a bit closer.

It's ok though, you don't have to change your mods for that silly reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.