Win 10 and hand job?? (1 Viewer)

Savitar

Potential Patron
Computer crashed ended up buying a new system Win10.
sby_loader_pack_6_545
Everything was working fine with old system, Vista 64.
Now hand job does not show up in arm position menu, but is listed as one of two "on his legs".
Hand job no longer responds to mouse, and has the straight hand overlapping the closed fingers.
8ZAhvMF.png

Savitar

Potential Patron
When selecting handjob from arm position menu:

TypeError: Error #1009: Cannot access a property or method of a null object reference.
at obj::SoundControl/startRub_l()
at obj::Her/checkHandJobMode_l()
at obj::Her/setLeftArmPosition_l()
at obj::InGameMenu/leftArmRightClicked_l()

Faceless

Content Creator
S Savitar

EDIT by moderator: Sarcastic comment deleted.

Now, let's take a look at what startRub_l() actually is:
Code:
  public function startRub_l() : void {
    if(!this.rubSC) {
      this.rubSC = this.rub.play();
      this.rubSC.addEventListener(Event.SOUND_COMPLETE,this.rubFinished);
      this.updateRub();
    }
  }
The only thing that jumps out at me as a possible culprit for a null pointer exception is this.rub. The problem is, this.rub is basically several layers of encapsulation that surrounds a sound file that should be embedded in SDT itself. Unless you've got lots of additional content, I honestly recommend deleting the SDT directory and downloading the pack again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Savitar

Potential Patron
Still no good, re-downloaded everything new and it still has the same trouble.
If you look at the screenshot her hand has the "on his legs hand" and the "grip" overlay showing.
Guess I'm not playing this anymore...

stuntcock

Content Creator
If you look at the screenshot her hand has the "on his legs hand" and the "grip" overlay showing.
That's not really a "symptom"; it's just a consequence of the exception being thrown (which inhibits the game from completing the transition into HJ mode). The double-hand thing will automatically be fixed when we resolve the underlying problem (along with the unresponsive mouse control and the other stuff that you mentioned).

Still no good, re-downloaded everything new and it still has the same trouble.
I was able to sort-of reproduce your error, but only by removing or invalidating Sound files which are normally embedded within SDT.swf. So the obvious troubleshooting path is "let's assume that something is wrong with your SDT.swf file" (also known as "blame the victim").
  • Your screenshot shows custom clothing elements and a custom background, and it doesn't show any of the percentage UI indicators (which are enabled by default in sby's Loader pack). Your description of the problem suggests that it arose quickly (e.g. during your first attempt to run the latest SDT), rather than appearing in response to a newly-installed mod.
    • These factors suggest that you may have retained some of the files from your old PC.
  • Did you perhaps extract sby's pack and then copy-paste your old content files on top of it? Or - similarly - did you extract sby's pack into your existing SDT folder (e.g. in the hope of retaining most of your custom characters and configuration settings)?
    • If so, then that may be the source of the problem.
    • Please try extracting sby's pack into an empty folder. Run the Loader.swf file, but don't try to activate any custom content. Just let it initialize and and then test whether handjob mode works correctly.
    • If it works correctly, then the problem lies in the "merge".
      • You can migrate your old content into the new (clean) folder, but you should do so gradually and re-test after each set of files.
      • Hopefully you'll be able to identify which files (or combination of mods) is triggering the problem. At which point you can either post the details here and ask for further assistance, or just forget about those particular files.
  • If you encounter the same problem with a fresh install, then there may be an error in Flash's invocation of your audio device. That would be quite difficult to debug remotely.
    • As a last resort, you could try to create a ZIP archive of your entire SDT folder and then upload it somewhere. Someone may be able to test it independently and (perhaps) identify a simple oversight or configuration mistake ... which could then be fixed on your end.

Savitar

Potential Patron
Thank you for your reply, you were absolutely correct, I did merge various old/new files.
My SDT folder is over 2.5 GB.

Downloaded and extracted sby_loader_pack_6_545 to my desktop and ran "play SDT Loader" and MORE weird problems.

RK7dXAd.png

A red error says "error loading wiifit:background".
When I ran it through the flash debugger I get this as the first of several errors:
TypeError: Error #1009: Cannot access a property or method of a null object reference.
at obj::SoundControl/startRub_l()
at obj::Her/checkHandJobMode_l()
at obj::Her/setLeftArmPosition_l()
at obj::Her/findLeftArmPosition_l()
at obj::InGameMenu/loadData_l()
at obj::SaveData/loadCharData_l()
at obj::SaveData/loadCurrentData_l()
at DT/initGame_l()
at DT/completePreloader_l()

You won't believe the fix!!! It was a Hardware problem.
I have a AMD HD audio card running Bang&Olufsen software.
I shut off the speakers (attached to the HDTV) so no one would hear the slurping and moaning sounds.
By reconnecting headphones the problem with SDT is gone.
Seems it needed to play the sounds to work. I'll adjust the "OPTIONS volume" from now on.
You and the others pointed out the debug code to sounds, and I appreciate the lessons, "teach a man to fish..."
Now I am aware how to use these tools.

I finished my attachments to the Marine Corps and I upgraded everything at once, new computer, 4k HDTV, Sony sound system, all at once, too many variables.
Again, thanks to everyone who responded.

stuntcock

Content Creator
You won't believe the fix!!! It was a Hardware problem.
Nice. This is exactly the sort of issue which software developers tend to overlook, because they write (and test) their code in simple desktop environments. Few code monkeys have HDTVs or Bang & Olufsen speakers in their cubicles :)

We could theoretically fix it by adding a try-catch block to the startRub method, but there are probably dozens of similar mistakes elsewhere in the code. It would be difficult for modders to find all of them without setting up a "vulnerable" hardware link similar to your own. Therefore we'll probably just ignore it. This thread will persist, so anyone who encounters the same stacktrace will hopefully be pointed in the right direction.

I once ran into a comparable error with a cellphone. If I shut down the Bluetooth headset normally then it would automatically disconnect from the paired phone; the phone would switch back to its built-in speaker. If the Bluetooth headset shut down abruptly then the phone would continue trying to communicate with it. It would repeatedly attempt to send the next audio packet to the headset, fail, and retry. The phone was effectively hardlocked and wouldn't even respond to its on/off button. I would need to yank its battery in order to recover.

Seems it needed to play the sounds to work. I'll adjust the "OPTIONS volume" from now on.
Actually, that's a good point. We might be able to reproduce your error by simply running the game in a contrived environment, in which all of the audio drivers had been disabled via Device Manager.

It's a very rare problem, as shown by the fact that three SDT modders failed to recognize it at first glance. So it's probably not worth the effort of fixing the code (and/or the risk of introducing new bugs while doing so) ... but it's a possibility.

And your lesson is valid: anyone seeking to play SDT silently should do so via the in-game Volume slider, rather than by disconnecting audio hardware.

Savitar

Potential Patron
There's no need to fix what was just an isolated hardware glitch, it did not occur with the old system's Sound Blaster card and Windows Vista.
Without all of your help I would not have known what to look for or how to try to debug this.
Thank you all Again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.