Duplicate problem not resolved by past fix: Mods from Character folders not loading (1 Viewer)

UmperSnark

Writer
Composer
Hello, all.
Longtime fan of SDT, first time on the forums. I would like to try my hand at making some dialogues because I think I'm a pretty good writer, so I am challenging myself to start learning how the game works!

The first dialogue I want to do involves an Android, so I set out to gather the necessary mods and make the character first.
I followed the above guide to the letter; here is my character folder and mods.txt file:
character folder and mods txt file.png

Then, when I booted up the game, the folder was indeed there.
character folder icon.png

However, I ran into an issue, in that not all of the mods were showing up.
Loaded manually in the game it works perfectly fine, and they all mesh with no issue.
See here:
what is supposed to load.png

This is what the character is supposed to look like.

This is what loads, however:
what loads.png

As you can see, the character code loads with no issue, and even the first mod (hide-ear) loads, but Robo Arms for whatever reason only loads partially, and the other two mods do not load at all.

I didn't think that load order could affect how mods load in, and I still don't really understand how that works, but I did try a number of different orderings in the mod.txt file to see if that fixed anything.
In the process I discovered the following:
- no-ear will load no matter what
- betterfeet will load if it's the only mod written down in the mod.txt file
- both robot mods will not load, even if they are the only mods in the txt file (one exception)
- robo arms loads more or less without issue only if it is the very last mod in the order

Next, I did some digging on the forum and ran into this thread: https://www.undertow.club/threads/mods-from-character-folders-not-loading.19191/
Detailed in it is basically exactly the same issue I am having, but it was resolved by simply activating file extension names in windows file explorer; this had no effect for me.

Finally, I ran the loader in debug mode and got this error when I tried to load the character folder:
flash error.png

I am not very technologically literate (making baby steps with trying to learn this game, for instance) so I do not know what this error message is communicating at all.

I also checked up on all of the mods I used by going to their download pages again, and did not see any indications that I am missing some kind of mod that's needed to make any of them load properly.

Needless to say, I am confused, so I hope some of you bright folks might be able to help me out!
Many thanks :)

Last edited:

sby

Content Creator
Coder
I have noticed this difference in how mods load from character folders vs vanilla swf mod import.
on some other projects of people creating mods where they are using scripts inside vanilla template, you kinda have to jump through a bunch of hoops to account for situations where the mod is loaded by character folder, by swf mod button, or by moreclothing.

haven't tried adjusting how mod loading is handled before, but maybe it is worth a shot to dig into the source of the loader and the vanilla game to bring some consistency in how things are loaded. i will glance through and see what i can find.

xolin92079

Potential Patron
Just replying to confirm I've been having the same problem. Maybe somebody can find some sort of pattern in what may be causing this.

Here's what the character is supposed to look like with all mods (7 in total, added manually) enabled:
1703708745869.png

This is what the character looks like when loading through the character folder (only 4/7 mods loaded):
1703708678825.png

Here are the contents of the character folder:
1703708816630.png
1703708839142.png

1703708894095.png

Changing the order of the mods in Mods.txt does in fact alter the outcome, e.g. if I change the order in the image above by moving Thomas Cross Earing.swf to the bottom as such:
1703709016653.png

the character is loaded with even less mods active (1/7 loaded):
1703709055730.png

My $INIT$ folder looks like this:
1703709248230.png

With Mods.txt in $INIT$ looking like that:
1703709278376.png

What's interesting is that the outcome is infinitely replicable for me as long as the order in the character folder's Mods.txt doesn't change, i.e. if a specific order only loads 4/7 mods it will ALWAYS load exactly these 4/7 mods.

xolin92079

Potential Patron
UmperSnark UmperSnark , X xolin92079
could both of you upload those character folders for testing?

you could try these loader settings:
loadCodeLast=0
blockCharData=1
Here are the files from my character folder, including "allalphaslidersV10.swf", "allalphaslidersV10settings.txt", and a second "Mods.txt" from my $INIT$ folder. The Code.txt is slightly different by now but the problem persisted either way.

you could try these loader settings:
loadCodeLast=0
blockCharData=1
I tried, it didn't change anything.

Attachments

allalphaslidersV10settings.txt
538 bytes · Views: 35

allalphaslidersV10.swf
4.1 KB · Views: 46

BeltAroundUpperThigh.swf
14.8 KB · Views: 36

DarkPupil.swf
159.4 KB · Views: 38

Thomas Cross Earing.swf
6.4 KB · Views: 45

Striped Arm Warmers.swf
11.5 KB · Views: 37

Mods.txt
242 bytes · Views: 37

BeltAroundThigh.swf
14.7 KB · Views: 35

Code.txt
1.1 KB · Views: 36

Mods.txt
241 bytes · Views: 38

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.