Zero-Point by Rob (1 Viewer)

Rob

Vivacious Visitor
Years ago when he took a nap one day he had a dream about a girl he loved. In this dream he and her were at a party or an energetic social gathering at most. While he enjoyed it, she did not. In fact it was a bit too overwhelming for her. In this dream he saw her discomfort and his love. He approached her and asked her what was wrong. She told him she wanted to leave; that she was uneasy somehow.

He looked down at his hands. They were glowing red-orange, like a piece of heated iron. Yet he felt no pain but only love for her. He saw that she was cold and slightly shivering and so he placed his red-hot iron hands on her shoulders and held them there. She felt no pain, only comfort –only warmth– from his glowing hands. His hands cooled down at the touch of her shoulders as the heat went into her. He pulled away, fearing he would burn her. As he pulled away, so did his hands heat back up to red-hot iron and so too did she begin to shiver.

And so he placed his hot hands on her shoulders once again and gave her warmth. She was so cold but his red-hot iron hands warmed her. Every few seconds he pulled away to recharge the heat. He held his hands on her shoulders for a few seconds and then removed them for the same amount of time; in this way he kept her warm and safe and comfortable... until he woke up.

(By the way, the above was a real dream that I had about a girl I liked in high school around 2005. The rest of the story is complete fantasy. -Rob)

On orders from the government (of sorts) he set off into a forest alone and he randomly remembered that dream as he walked. It was a cold early morning and the air was thick with fog. He was sent to investigate a crashed aircraft of some unknown origin way off in the distance.

He proceeded slowly and cautiously, making sure never to be detected. After about two or so hours of walking even he as a hardened soldier felt fatigued and needed a break. He found a fallen tree and sat down and used this time to review his mission. He also checked all his instruments. Unlike his comrades back at base he actually took the time to admire the beauty of the cold and foggy forest, if only for a moment. But he was disciplined and resumed his mission. He turned his eyepiece back on and ran a thermal scan so as to make sure he was still alone and not being followed or seen by anyone.

He looked around a bit and spotted something. A small heat source, about thirty yards away. As his orders demanded, he grabbed his weapon and set off towards the heat source; he NEEDED to be the first to find the crashed aircraft. As he came closer, the image he saw in his eyepiece of course became more defined and he knew he was approaching a human. He felt a sense of regret at what he was required to do once he found this person. Though he was a soldier he never really liked the idea of killing another.

When he finally reached the spot he found a young woman there leaning against the trunk of a large tree, arms wrapped around her self desperately trying to keep warm. She didn't notice him at first since he approached her as quietly as he had. He took off his eyepiece. He didn't need it anymore. She looked at him and screamed. She shivered from the fear and the cold itself; her breathing was fast and heavy.

What would he do to her? From her perspective he was a giant. He was covered in military equipment, black was the only real color on him,and his face was mostly covered. While he was over six feet tall, she was no more than five and a quarter. And his weapon was firmly pointed at her. She screamed at him again. She had gotten lost in this forest and now she knew this was the end.

He saw her mortal terror and an overwhelming sense of hurt came over him. He knew what he must have looked like to her. And he knew she was no threat to him in any way. He came closer to her very slowly. She screamed at him again and curled her arms around herself more tightly.

He put his weapon away. He did everything slowly so as to try to ease her fear. He knelt down close to her. She looked away and shivered even more than before. He did everything so slowly. He opened his backpack and pulled out his blanket for her. She screamed and shook again as he carefully put it on her shoulders. For a brief moment she calmed down. He asked her name but she said nothing.

His orders required him to kill her on site but he just couldn't. Instead he tried to keep her warm as best he could. She was still scared but at least she knew he wouldn't hurt her for the moment. “I'll get you out of here”, he said. He checked his surroundings and then he reached for her. She screamed again, but slightly less this time. He wrapped the blanket around her tightly and then he picked her up and held her in his arms. He stood up and started walking back the way he came. He knew he was abandoning his orders. But he also knew he was human first and helping this poor lady was his first duty.

As he carried her, she slowly calmed down. “How did you end up out here?” he asked. “The crash...” she fearfully replied. “You wanted to see it for yourself but you got lost.” he said. She nodded and pressed herself against him. He knew they would be seen if he went back to his base. And he knew they would probably kill her there. He had his eyepiece show him a map of the forest and the base and he took a different path out.

They didn't say much more to each other as he carried her out –each one of them for obvious reasons. He'd carried her for a good half-hour and by this time she was warm and no longer shivering. She closed her eyes and fell asleep in his arms. She was exhausted. He felt a certain serene tranquility in this as he looked down at her. Just the two of them alone in this gloomy, fog-filled forest.

And so forward he marched, ignoring any of his other duties. Instead he focused on what he believed to be the zero-point of his existence as a man. While he was fully prepared to kill and torture and harm her, he instead used his strength to be as a shield for her. In a way he wished this walk out of the forest wouldn't end but the maps in his eyepiece told him otherwise.

After about two more hours they finally reached a road in the forest not currently under his unit's control. She was still fast asleep when he looked down at her. How lonesome he felt then when he realized that this meant their brief journey was over and that he would never see her again or ever be there for her again or ever to save her again or ever to help her again or ever to even talk to her ever again. And... out of all the many tools and skills and equipment he possessed, he needed only his arms to carry her, his blanket to keep her warm, and his computer to find a safe way out; never having been given the chance to do more...

And thus he looked at that final road in sadness. But fate had brief mercy and his eyepiece showed him the nearest town was about three miles away so that he might carry her a while longer. She awoke about halfway through this last stretch and was instantly afraid again believing her earlier encounter to be only a nightmare. She briefly struggled to get free of his arms. He held on even tighter and tried to reassure her saying, “I know what you're thinking. But I won't hurt you. We're almost out.”

When they were in sight of buildings he finally put her down on her feet. She offered his blanket back to him but he refused. She hugged him and whispered, “Thank you. Thank you so much.” When she pulled away he put his hands on her shoulders and activated their internal warmers. He held his hands there for about half a minute as he looked at her. Then he simply turned around and headed back into the forest –he had another duty to perform. And she watched him until he finally disappeared behind some thick trees. Later, he would write this Delay of Mission off simply as, “Temporary Equipment Failure.”

(Edited for typos, grammar/punctiation errors.) -Rob

Last edited by a moderator:

neosushi

Casual Client
This was a cool story. It's always nice to see something different. This is kinda flipped from ryona. In the majority of ryona, it is about a strong independent woman getting taken down, whereas this is a helpless woman being helped up.

My guess is that the woman is either some sort of dangerous weapon or has something dangerous inside of her and that's why she needs to be taken down, so the main character has to make a choice of either letting something potentially dangerous live, or executing an innocent life

Rob

Vivacious Visitor
Thanks for the reply. I never thought of it that way.

I wrote this to be more or less an isolated incident. Apparently the kind of ryona I like is called "damsel in distress." That's all this is supposed to be. She's not dangerous or anything. She just tried to do something and got in over her head.

Secondly, the main character was fully capable of doing anything to her but he chose to help her. This story helped me think; writing in general helps me think. I'm into what I call "let me be a shield for you, lady" type of Damsel ryona. Does that even count as ryona?

I'm thinking of writing more like this. I already have some more ideas. I even have a name for the soldier.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.