Zakos for (GZ)Doom (Release) (1 Viewer)

Weoooo

Master of this Domain
Found the sirens wad but not the quake mod, say would you have the quake 2 mod Battle Of The Sexes?, if so would I be able to get it from you?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Sadly, I don't have that. I also don't have the quake mod they did on my backup drive. Well... I have to reconnect that old drive anyway cause there's appdata on there. I'll dig it up when I do that.

That sounds totally RAD :D
Oh, Sirens.wad, I see you are a man of culture as well ;)
Doomworld still has it, Wraithchild is listed as the author.
The whole "x-rated" wad section is a hilarious time capsule. Good times ;)
If possible, I want to play nice and use citable resources and give credit where possible. Ripping games is always an option for later.
But you are right, sounds make or break the immersion.

The XDeath (Extreeeeme, because 90ies) animations are even necessary,
because otherwise the engine would switch back to the old sprites. Which is horrifying in a completey different way :D
When I got the basics down, I think I can look into additional death animations, so fighting and the "post carnage" floor looks more varied.
I recently made a post on pixiv referencing an MNL picture I loved, only realizing as I was making it the picture was 17 fucking years old.
Christ, the time flies.

It makes sense to give credit, yeah. We're a lot more interconnected now and ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ isn't really a good answer to "where'd you get that" anymore. Still, if need be, there's lots that are easy to get to. With a couple of conversions, you can get all of SR3, for example.
Which I realize I can't play on windows 10 anymore? hmm. Gotta... fix that
I also didn't know about the sprites, but it actually makes a lot of sense. The old sprites are what's coded for death animations that make gore, so of course it'd switch over if there wasn't anything to call up.
probably no chance of a less bloody version is there, you ain't makin' this for me

MZZ

Content Creator
I recently made a post on pixiv referencing an MNL picture I loved, only realizing as I was making it the picture was 17 fucking years old.
Christ, the time flies.
When Doom came out I wasn't legally old enough to play it, and I did not care one bit about that :D

It makes sense to give credit, yeah. We're a lot more interconnected now and ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ isn't really a good answer to "where'd you get that" anymore. Still, if need be, there's lots that are easy to get to. With a couple of conversions, you can get all of SR3, for example.
Yeah, it would be rude to not cite sources if they are provided on a citation basis.
(e.g. creative commons, community works)

Saints Row 3 should run on Win10, I still bash around in it from time to time.
It does crash sometimes though...

I also didn't know about the sprites, but it actually makes a lot of sense. The old sprites are what's coded for death animations that make gore, so of course it'd switch over if there wasn't anything to call up.
probably no chance of a less bloody version is there, you ain't makin' this for me
Weeell technically, all blood and gore effects are objects I can make invisible before rendering.
Let me get to an more complete state before I start to maintain 2 versions :)

Weoooo

Master of this Domain
Oh, I meant the .ogg files. Sorry. I donno how to play .ogg files on windows 10, and that's what the SR3 sound files convert to. I guess you can convert them to .wav after, which you'd be doing anyway to make them run in doom.
And that wasn't a request, although I'd fuckin' love it so much. You don't have to go out of your way for me, and I mean that. I know where I am.

Kargan3033

Club Regular
That sounds totally RAD :D

Pre-Internet, we got our hacks/mods from game magazines.
With an hex editor you could change a byte and make the Shotgun fire as fast as the Chaingun. Making it an absolute murdermachine :D

Hell ya, I remember dialing up the chaingun speed so it went through 600 rounds in 0.5 seconds and crashed the game but seeing a cyberdemon getting ripped apart because of a damage error before the crash was sweet.

Playtesting, critiques, resources and ideas are very welcome.

Cool I have some ideas if you want but I need to know if you are going to be changing the maps as well as a zako *Theme* so I can bounce some ideas around with you.

Oh, Sirens.wad, I see you are a man of culture as well ;)
Doomworld still has it, Wraithchild is listed as the author.
The whole "x-rated" wad section is a hilarious time capsule. Good times ;)
If possible, I want to play nice and use citable resources and give credit where possible. Ripping games is always an option for later.
But you are right, sounds make or break the immersion.

I agree

The XDeath (Extreeeeme, because 90ies) animations are even necessary,
because otherwise the engine would switch back to the old sprites. Which is horrifying in a completey different way :D
When I got the basics down, I think I can look into additional death animations, so fighting and the "post carnage" floor looks more varied.

Sweet if ou really want to spring a nasty ass surprise on the players have their old sprite selves rise up from the bloody remains of the new sexy sprite self you have created or have them rise up as bloody body horror zombie, mutants for a Resident Evil type vibe to the *Theme* of the game.

Kargan3033

Club Regular
Sadly, I don't have that. I also don't have the quake mod they did on my backup drive. Well... I have to reconnect that old drive anyway cause there's appdata on there. I'll dig it up when I do that.

Sure no worries, when you get to it, you get to it.

Christ, the time flies.

Ahh the joys of a well wasted youth.

Have you tried doing a compatibility setting for SR3 on win 10?

Kargan3033

Club Regular
Oh, I meant the .ogg files. Sorry. I donno how to play .ogg files on windows 10, and that's what the SR3 sound files convert to. I guess you can convert them to .wav after, which you'd be doing anyway to make them run in doom.
And that wasn't a request, although I'd fuckin' love it so much. You don't have to go out of your way for me, and I mean that. I know where I am.

Try using Winamp if you want to pay those files as for converting them over to wav I have no idea on how to do that.

Weoooo

Master of this Domain
Try using Winamp if you want to pay those files as for converting them over to wav I have no idea on how to do that.
Oh, right! Winamp. I forgot about that.
Well, I've got a lot of SR3 files, and figured out how to convert 'em. So if you want 'em just tell me.

Also you're getting rid of the magic fireball? I get it, you want them to be using weapons. But liked it. Especially cause she's got such a sassy throw animation and the gauntlet had sort of a claw attachment too.

Last edited:

Kargan3033

Club Regular
Well, I've got a lot of SR3 files, and figured out how to convert 'em. So if you want 'em just tell me.

Also you're getting rid of the magic fireball? I get it, you want them to be using weapons. But liked it. Especially cause she's got such a sassy throw animation and the gauntlet had sort of a claw attachment too.

No I don't need the SR3 files but they should be helpful to this project or so I hope, I'm sick as a dog so I won't be around a lot until I get better.

MZZ

Content Creator
Well, here goes, I've Uploaded Draft 2 :)

Oh, .ogg is fine as it is for ZDoom, it eats alot of file formats out of the box.
As I have SR3 myself, is there an easy way to unpack the files from it?

While the fireball is the same, I gave her a kind of flamethrower gun.
I got the feeling that a "mundane" technical aesthetic is more fitting
for girls instead of demons. She still fires with sadistic glee at you ;)

Cool I have some ideas if you want but I need to know if you are going to be changing the maps as well as a zako *Theme* so I can bounce some ideas around with you.

Sweet if ou really want to spring a nasty ass surprise on the players have their old sprite selves rise up from the bloody remains of the new sexy sprite self you have created or have them rise up as bloody body horror zombie, mutants for a Resident Evil type vibe to the *Theme* of the game.
As this is my first project of this kind, I would keep the scope tight until I'm more experienced.
When this mod reached its goal, replacing the monsters, then we can think about creative ways to use them ;)

Hope you get well soon :)

Weoooo

Master of this Domain
Ah, excellent! I like the change in uniforms, the hats falling off are a great touch. Even though I will miss the sassy fireball.
and hey man if... if you do ever want to make a non-gore version... I'd be very happy

Oh, .ogg is fine as it is for ZDoom, it eats alot of file formats out of the box.
Oh yeah there's a real easy way to get the files from it, if it is a little monotonous. Look for a Saint's row 3 editing kit, and you'll unpack the Voice.vpp then unpack the .bnk_pc you want, then convert the riff wav files to ogg files. I think you can still find all the stuff I used, but if you're having trouble finding a way to convert riff to ogg I can just throw it up somewhere, it's small.
actually fuck it here it is:
MEGA
Make sure you've got an empty folder, then put the .bnk_pc you want in it and the contents of that zip. Drag the .bnk_pc onto it, then when that's finished run riffwave2ogg. Delete the things that aren't .oggs after that's all done.
Oh yeah, I get it, and it's a very sassy firing animation. I like it. Although, these space elves having space magic might help with some of the weirder doom enemies like the archvile or the pain elemental or the lost souls. But I guess technohorror could do that too? Either thing works.

Last edited:

Kargan3033

Club Regular

As this is my first project of this kind, I would keep the scope tight until I'm more experienced.
When this mod reached its goal, replacing the monsters, then we can think about creative ways to use them ;)

Hope you get well soon :)

Thank you for your well wishes as well as the update, going to give it a try, I understand that this is your first project I'm just throwing out a few ideas.

MZZ

Content Creator
Ah, excellent! I like the change in uniforms, the hats falling off are a great touch. Even though I will miss the sassy fireball.
and hey man if... if you do ever want to make a non-gore version... I'd be very happy

I try to make the Baron(ess) a sassy grenade thrower ;)
And I'm sure I'll get to a bloodless run when I have the models and animations done :)

Oh yeah there's a real easy way to get the files from it, if it is a little monotonous. Look for a Saint's row 3 editing kit, and you'll unpack the Voice.vpp then unpack the .bnk_pc you want, then convert the riff wav files to ogg files. I think you can still find all the stuff I used, but if you're having trouble finding a way to convert riff to ogg I can just throw it up somewhere, it's small.
actually fuck it here it is:
MEGA
Make sure you've got an empty folder, then put the .bnk_pc you want in it and the contents of that zip. Drag the .bnk_pc onto it, then when that's finished run riffwave2ogg. Delete the things that aren't .oggs after that's all done.
Thanks! I'll let my computer batch process the lot right now. Will take some time, volition did not skimp on the voice work...

Weoooo

Master of this Domain
I try to make the Baron(ess) a sassy grenade thrower ;)
And I'm sure I'll get to a bloodless run when I have the models and animations done :)
yesssssssssssssssssssssssssss
Thanks! I'll let my computer batch process the lot right now. Will take some time, volition did not skimp on the voice work...
Yeah, there's a whole bunch. The exertions are usually at the end.

MZZ

Content Creator
yesssssssssssssssssssssssssss
A sneak peak at the current "sketch" for the baron ;)
BOSSE1.png BOSSF1.png BOSSG1.png
Still needs a lot of work but the target scale seems to fit:
Baron_Size.jpg

Yeah, there's a whole bunch. The exertions are usually at the end.
Good to know :) And I noted the unnamed voices are "catalogued" by keywords like "_af_" or "_wm_", which seems to represent "Asian Female" or "White Male". And some more codes for Black, Hispanic, etc Makes it easy to filter out the uneeded male voices.

Kargan3033

Club Regular
A sneak peak at the current "sketch" for the baron ;)
View attachment 72129 View attachment 72130 View attachment 72131
Still needs a lot of work but the target scale seems to fit:
View attachment 72132

Good to know :) And I noted the unnamed voices are "catalogued" by keywords like "_af_" or "_wm_", which seems to represent "Asian Female" or "White Male". And some more codes for Black, Hispanic, etc Makes it easy to filter out the uneeded male voices.

Looking good my friend, how long does it take you to convert the demons over to female zakos?

MZZ

Content Creator
Nice, you have some talent my friend.
Thanks, but I'm not doing much. The heavy lifting of 3d modelling (meshwork & rigging) is already done by professionals.
I just bang together store assets and see what sticks. And evenings I work on it are not equal to consecutive days. So it could take a calender week until I finish. Something that gets mixed up at work all the time ;)

MZZ

Content Creator
I've done the animation draft for the Baron of Hell and here is the draft for the Cacodemon:
Cacodemon.png
Vanilla Doom has no animation for it's movement (At least the engine exaust should flimmer a bit), so I'll put the "walking" animation to post release.

As always, ideas and comments are welcome :)

Weoooo

Master of this Domain
I didn't believe it and then I went and looked, yeah... there's no movement animation. Huh.
You took the only suggestion I woulda really wanted outta this, so I can't really ask for more.
I'm curious what your plan is for the bizarre doom enemies, like the ones that spawn in things and resurrect. I guess the Lost Souls could just be drones, they don't have to be sexy. And that would... solve a lot of problems.
Are you planning on doing the weird sound profile thing so that each enemy has its own set of sounds, or are you gonna keep it vanilla? I think it could work out, but I also know it might not be easy. But maybe it is easy, I donno.

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.