Wonder Woman Redesign. Hit or Miss? (1 Viewer)

Snowballs

Ryonani Teamster
http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/2010/06/29/unveiling-wonder-woman%E2%80%99s-new-costume-direction/#comments
newwwcostume.jpg

So apparently for the 600th issue they decided to give Wonder Women a redesign because she wasn't a very interesting character. Since we're a ryona/super heroine forum I was wondering what you guys think?

When I first saw it I was pretty indifferent but I think its a good design when they eventually make a WW film. I've always enjoyed the 'modern' looking women, which is why I love Hitomi from Dead or Alive so much. Simple jeans and a tank top lol.

DeceptionCircus

Ryonani Teamster
Considering I've always thought that the stars & stripes swimsuit was somewhat ridiculous, this is clearly a step into the right direction I think. But doesn't she not look a bit non-heroine-esque now?

Black Lion

Ryonani Teamster
I think it's a lot better. The old one looked kind of cheezy. But she does look less heroic now. Doesn't seem to fit her image.

bryanthunder

Ryonani Teamster
Diana is a character with an iconic look, changing her design so drastically isn't gonna let it stick, you'd have to tweak it over the course of several months to several years. I imagine within a year or two at best she'll be back in her US flagged themed leotard. After all the Electric Blue Superman design didn't last long.
This design seems to be going for a more 'dark and edgy' vibe as well... Which really doesn't fit her image as "the spirit of truth."
The usual argument against Wonder Woman's leotard is that it isn't respectable, nor would it provide any defensive benefits... but she's superhumanly durable, and like Superman, it shouldn't matter what she wears when she can shrug off being knocked through buildings. And how is a super-heroine fighting crime, and saving the universe not respectable?

I can honestly say I don't like the design, and can't wait for it to be dropped.

d£t

nu
Ryonani Teamster
Overall it looks to be targeted towards the stereotypical "Hot Topic" crowd. Maybe comic book artists/publishers are trying to rethink their marketing strategy. Wonder Woman has always seemed to be the most popular in the superheroine fetish scene with her original costume even though there are few other popular heroines with costumes that are much more suggestive. I mean the original is revealing, but compared to someone like Power Girl with the gaping hole in her costume showing off her cleavage, it doesn't seem that ridiculous.

Personally, I agree with Snowballs and I'm pretty indifferent to the change. I've never been a fan of Wonder Woman or her costume. I was always more into the theme of her own lasso being used on her. :OSMILEY:

Although, considering most of the costumes have gone unchanged for many of the characters for as long as I've known they've existed, I don't really see a reason why they should change it now.

Mardion

Potential Patron
Since I'm not a fan of her personality, I only have this to say to WW's new outfit directly : You are not revealing so GTFO.

Unrelated

Ryonani Teamster
Feh, I'll take tight over revealing any day.
I don't read comics so I don't care about the change, though I am tired of the whole "Needless extra seams are futuristic, especially if they have 60 degree angles" thing that gets thrown around on costumes.

noice1

Potential Patron
She looks good...if she was a completely new character. But WW? Come on, how boring. I think it's nice they wanted to give her a makeover, but, sheesh, that's a downgrade.

oceansfiftynine

Potential Patron
I have a soft spot for the tights, the belt and the bustier...if every WW issue had a ryona like situation in that costume I'd seriously buy every issue without fail. Hey, come to think of it, any dedicated ryona comics out there that aren't manga?

S

ssdanku

eh DC loves to change things then quickly change it back, *puts on nerd glasses* i mean look at Batman they killed off Bruce Wayne made Dick Grayson the new Batman, gave Bruce a biological son to be the new robin made Tim Drake some retarded looking hero now known as Red Robin and Stephanie Brown who was suppose to be dead is the new Batgirl and now they are trying to change it all back by bringing Bruce Wayne back. *takes off nerd glasses*. Though after reading the 600th issue of Wonder Woman her new costume actually looks better than the concept art above. to make up for the lack of skin they made her pants extremely skin tight and top show off more cleavage. though i have to agree that it probably wont last long

thanatos

Potential Patron
I actually love the new design. It's kind of sporty.
Speaking as an artist i like drawing it a bit more then her old costume too.

DeceptionCircus

Ryonani Teamster
Wonder Woman has always seemed to be the most popular in the superheroine fetish scene with her original costume --

The costume most probably played a part in Wonder Woman becoming the fetish icon she is, but I'd guess its mostly because of the bondage. I mean, I think she is supposed to lose her powers if her hands are tied by a man. She also wields a lasso which easily works against her when the baddies get a hold on it. At least according to superdickery.com's 'Suffering Sappho' section the Wonder Woman comics look like a continuous bondagefest.

277_4_229.jpg

Holymolydude123

Ryonani Teamster
Diana is a character with an iconic look, changing her design so drastically isn't gonna let it stick, you'd have to tweak it over the course of several months to several years. I imagine within a year or two at best she'll be back in her US flagged themed leotard. After all the Electric Blue Superman design didn't last long.
This design seems to be going for a more 'dark and edgy' vibe as well... Which really doesn't fit her image as "the spirit of truth."
The usual argument against Wonder Woman's leotard is that it isn't respectable, nor would it provide any defensive benefits... but she's superhumanly durable, and like Superman, it shouldn't matter what she wears when she can shrug off being knocked through buildings. And how is a super-heroine fighting crime, and saving the universe not respectable?

I can honestly say I don't like the design, and can't wait for it to be dropped.

My thoughts exactly. That being said, I don't read comics, so it doesn't really matter too much to me.

pirajacinto

Ryonani Teamster
I have a soft spot for the tights, the belt and the bustier...if every WW issue had a ryona like situation in that costume I'd seriously buy every issue without fail. Hey, come to think of it, any dedicated ryona comics out there that aren't manga?

On that note, almost every early issue of Wonder Woman was her in bondage or being hit over the head, was it not? Anyways as for the design, I just read Elseworld's Finest and she almost has the same design in that one as she does now, so to me I guess it looks great for an Elseworld's or a Mulitverse outfit, and personally I think this fits along with the other superheroines in which they have pants for. So, for me, it's a give or take. The swimsuit she used to have is sexier really, and that's the only reason I would think she should keep the old look.

EvilUnicorn

Potential Patron
I'd stick to the original outfit.. I'll agree this one is too conservative. She's woman and proud to show her stars ;).. even if it gets her in trouble ;)..
(one actually says "hit here!" :P)

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.