Where to start when modding a game. (What I have learned in 10 years) (1 Viewer)

Felldude

Content Creator
What I have learned in 10 years of modding games - By Felldude
Part One
Where to start

Start with a search, Google Yahoo what ever. Do the search.
  • Always look to see if the work has been done to modify a game, before starting.
  • Information you find can save you hours of time, or possibly you don't need to do anything at all.

Identify the game engine if possible.

Identify the file type.

• This can be done by looking at the file extension.
  • Such as Myfile.zip we know that it is a zip file.

• However the file could be disguised:
  • Example Myfile.1
  • We could open Myfile.1 in a HexEditor or Notepad we may see identifying propertys in the file header. (If you don't know how to do this you should probably stop after the next step.)

See if Texmod or Umod work

• These programs attempt to hook in or pull textures from the Ram.
  • Most online games will detect and prevent this but always worth a shot.

Part Two
Check these sites.

So we have a game file that is unknown. What can we do.

• Check the following websites:

Part Three
Advanced Techniques

So assuming there isn't a game specific file extractor for the game your trying to mod.
The generic file ripper extractor didn't work on the files.
What to do now.

Well there is no way to write a step by step guide as every situation would be different but you could try the following:

Do an ACSII rip of the file. This is basically a readable text rip. You might glean some useful information.
If there is zero readable text, chances are the file is encrypted.

Attempt to Hexedit various values of the file.
If you know the model or texture files are in a said file encrypted or otherwise, change one byte of the file and see what happens.

If the game detects the change, chances are you will not be able to modify the game without changing the .dll files or .exe files which is always against the terms of service and will likely result in a ban if detected.

I personally use HxD
Hex editor - Wikipedia

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.