Uniformity or Individuality in Zako Design (1 Viewer)

bolt9236

Vivacious Visitor
I'm new to the forum and wanted to take a shot on making a short zako story that would be building block for possible future stories and I wanted to see what the communities consensus was on zako designs. Is it better to make the zako's share a common uniform theme like the Delmo Corp and Pricom, or is it better to make each design unique to the personality of each character. That way you can gleam more from her backstory on how she dresses. If anyone could gimme their thoughts then it would be most appreciated.

osw

Club Regular
A mix of both? Cancelled and remade my old zako faction because of too much individuality, they just look like everyone else

KeiBree

Master of this Domain
I do something similar. I like to use a generic uniform, but then often add individual elements of personalization. IE Me on the left having different gloves, headphones, kneepads etc etc

Attachments

• CharaStudio-2021-08-31-06-36-54-Render.png
    CharaStudio-2021-08-31-06-36-54-Render.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 243

Henchgirl 29

Club Regular
I personally like a mix of both. That is to say, I like a consistent uniform, that makes every zako look the same, but I really like when those similar-looking zakos have different attributes that make them distinct. Even in Aika, the different delmo's have diffferent hair styles and body types etc. In my renders I try to make girls of all sorts of backgrounds and nationalities so that you can gleam that they probably had a life before they are eventually effortlessly killed and forgotten about. I think that the duplicity between being nameless yet also having a name is what makes zako so interesting to me.

Stuelpner_Karl

Swell Supporter
In a written story, I think it's important to let the reader distinguish between the various members of a Zako group. This gets him or her emotionally invested, allowing to pick personal favorites. After all, it's part of the Zako fetish to be attracted by characters who are not meant to be considered individuals in a "normal" setting.

Whether they all have the same uniforms, wear individual clothes, or something inbetween, should depend on the scenario. I wouldn't give too many details anyway, but lead the reader fill the blanks to decide what the Zako look like. But in my opinion, descriptions of the outer look don't compensate for lack of descriptions of the personality.

So I guess it's important to introduce the Zako characters, one or two at a time, when you build up the scenario. How it's done depends on the point of view though. Is the story seen through the eyes of the zako, their enemy or a third person?

bolt9236

Vivacious Visitor
In a written story, I think it's important to let the reader distinguish between the various members of a Zako group. This gets him or her emotionally invested, allowing to pick personal favorites. After all, it's part of the Zako fetish to be attracted by characters who are not meant to be considered individuals in a "normal" setting.

Whether they all have the same uniforms, wear individual clothes, or something inbetween, should depend on the scenario. I wouldn't give too many details anyway, but lead the reader fill the blanks to decide what the Zako look like. But in my opinion, descriptions of the outer look don't compensate for lack of descriptions of the personality.

So I guess it's important to introduce the Zako characters, one or two at a time, when you build up the scenario. How it's done depends on the point of view though. Is the story seen through the eyes of the zako, their enemy or a third person?
I'm still working through the pre-writing stage of the first chapter, but the majority of the story will be told through the main protagonist. I do plan to give small glimpses of the story through specific zako characters when appropriate. I generally want all the zako to have a role in the story throughout the whole story rather than just being killed off the minute they are introduced.

Zufallx

Swell Supporter
I think they should all be cookie-cutter with small differences. The only large differences should be the commanders.

burom

Master of this Domain
I like a balance between the two; a defined set of options for a "uniform" and each zako picking and choosing within the constraints of the set.

Like the Bloodrayne 2 goth zakos, for example; to generate a zako the game picks one each of hair, makeup, top, bottom, stocking and footwear.

br2_zakos.png
I think there's about 4300 total combinations just there.

Kristopher Prime

Club Regular
I do something similar. I like to use a generic uniform, but then often add individual elements of personalization. IE Me on the left having different gloves, headphones, kneepads etc etc
that is a pretty great concept. all faction members have the same basic uniform elements to show (and remind allies in a confusing battle) that they are a unified force, but still having parts of the uniform that is their own personal "touchup" to show individuality among a group and help allies recognize an individual teammate, especially if the uniform is something that leaves little-to-no "genetic qualities" visible like your face. reminds me of the clone army from the star wars prequels. they had the same basic armor (minus specialized units), but many clone legions had their own color scheme and even moreso some clones within a legion/division might have a different pattern or detail in how that armor color was used. one might have an arrow on in the unit's color, another might have the republic symbol on his helmet, and another might have a teardrop on his armor, but all three using the same unit color.

Kristopher Prime

Club Regular
I personally like a mix of both. That is to say, I like a consistent uniform, that makes every zako look the same, but I really like when those similar-looking zakos have different attributes that make them distinct. Even in Aika, the different delmo's have diffferent hair styles and body types etc. In my renders I try to make girls of all sorts of backgrounds and nationalities so that you can gleam that they probably had a life before they are eventually effortlessly killed and forgotten about. I think that the duplicity between being nameless yet also having a name is what makes zako so interesting to me.
true. you have your own life and identity, but in the grand scheme of the world, you are still nothing but another number to all but your closest coworkers who care about your wellbeing and more "chivalrous" heroes. sometimes makes it sad to see them pass away.

Zamaron1

Club Regular
that is a pretty great concept. all faction members have the same basic uniform elements to show (and remind allies in a confusing battle) that they are a unified force, but still having parts of the uniform that is their own personal "touchup" to show individuality among a group and help allies recognize an individual teammate, especially if the uniform is something that leaves little-to-no "genetic qualities" visible like your face. reminds me of the clone army from the star wars prequels. they had the same basic armor (minus specialized units), but many clone legions had their own color scheme and even moreso some clones within a legion/division might have a different pattern or detail in how that armor color was used. one might have an arrow on in the unit's color, another might have the republic symbol on his helmet, and another might have a teardrop on his armor, but all three using the same unit color.
Also alot of the Clones when not in combat, often had the same face, but had different hair styles or tattoos or injuries, like how Rex had blond shaved down hair, Cody stuck with the norm, and Wolfe had a scar over his blind right eye from a battle he fought. But then again most Clones still kept standard unit colors with only the major or named ones with unique details.

HurfBlurf

Supporter (Tier 3)
My preference depends on the kind of zako organisation in question. A well funded and well organized group with a military flavour, i.e. the Delmos or Night Elf Sentinels, should be uniform truly (except for rank insignias and minor details like amount of pouches), with individual differences being found in hair styles and colours, body types, perhaps skin colour and such.
Other, more 'ragtag' groups like street gangs or the girls from Blood Rayne are fine looking somewhat different as long as you can tell that they all belong together at a glance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.