1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thickened Thighs Editing

Discussion in 'Invalid Requests' started by Dotar, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Dotar

Dotar Avid Affiliate

Hey,

If someone would have the expertise and time to make a even bigger thighs/ass mod out of this template by Pat:

http://www.sdtmods.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=4114.0;attach=59496

Would be highly appriciated. I tried to learn from the tutorials.. but gave up after publishing a nonworking mod many times :(

I can throw in a small donation to anyone who might make it :)

2. stuntcock

stuntcock Club Regular Staff Member Moderator

Just upload your FLA. It would be much easier for someone to troubleshoot a few ActionScript errors, rather than having a whole back-and-forth conversation about "how much thicker should the thighs be?" and then redoing the vector work that you've already done.

3. Dotar

Dotar Avid Affiliate

I didn't exactly do many changes apart from a simple size change which didn't look exactly something that anyone who actually knows how to use the program properly could use, It was really only for my own testing purposes with the flash program, gave up after a while :|

But size could be something like this:

http://imgur.com/LufAAfR

4. stuntcock

So the buttocks are much more bulbous but the dorsal thigh is thinner? Would we also slim down the ventral thigh to match?

Or perhaps that's just a mistake due to quick sketching, because you actually want the legs to be thicker in all aspects?

^^^ This is exactly the conversation that I don't want to have. ^^^

If you can provide a vector file (FLA, AI, or SVG) with the intended outline then I could handle the ancillary stuff (AS3, skin-tone variation, tan adjustments) fairly quickly. Forget the donation thing; this task is either too small to require payment or it's too large to be worth doing (e.g. if it's going to involve lots of feedback+revision cycles, and the adaptation of existing clothing mods to fit the new body proportions).

I would also urge you to consider the chubby-body mods (example). The thick thighs already look out-of-place against the slim torso and calves, and the proposed change would make the buttocks even more prominent. If your goal is a Rubenesque profile, then it might make sense to choose a buttock outline which is congruent with the thicker torso. This change isn't necessary, of course; if you intend for the thighs to be out-of-proportion then you can ignore the suggestion.

5. Dotar

Dotar Avid Affiliate

I just wanted the buttocks bigger, the thighs can stay as is really.
    And yes the red lines were done quickly, you can ignore that one red line over the skin on the thigh area. It was just an fast example what I meant in size increase for the buttocks area.

If its too much work then nvm. I can't provide you with any of those file types though, sorry :3

6. stuntcock

That's simple enough. However, I'm going to start by making a 4-skin-tone-plus-tan version of Pat's mod, because it's on the critical path for proper implementation. This will involve switching from SWF (vanilla) to MOD (Loader) format, because vanilla mods can't handle skin tone switching.

The amount of actual work is almost trivial. However, the amount of disutility rises when someone ignores the rules and fails to communicate effectively. Case in point: your first post asked for a "a even bigger thighs/ass mod" when you apparently didn't want the thighs to change at all.

"I can't provide you with AI" is valid. Illustrator is niche software.

"I can't provide FLA" is dubious, since your first post indicated that you made changes to the FLA template and published it (albeit unsuccessfully). But perhaps that was several weeks ago, and your Flash trial license has since expired.

"I can't provide you with SVG" is false. The software required to extract SVG files from SDT is free, as is the software required to edit them.

It would be more reasonable to say "I don't know how to provide any of those file types" or perhaps "this request isn't very important to me, so I'm not willing to install new software or learn new skills." Hell - you can even say "my time is too valuable to waste on such busywork, so I'd prefer to pay someone else to do it." Or just make up some lie about how you're running a custom Linux distro which doesn't support Inkscape.

7. Dotar

Dotar Avid Affiliate

Well frankly, thats what I mean't by saying I can't provide you with those

8. stuntcock

This is complete. I'm going to hold onto it for now, and release both mods simultaneously, because this mod may benefit from some pending AS3 work. The delay is harmless because this mod doesn't really do anything new; it's just a slightly-more-convenient way of using Patrick's existing mods. And also because I've belatedly realized that Patrick still visits the forum occasionally, so I should at least try to get his permission before redistributing his work.

+can now switch between skin tones in-game (rather than loading a separate SWF for each)
    +added support for tans (but only "None" and "Full" thus far, because the others would require extra work)
    +restored the glare layer (because I couldn't think of any reason why it ought to be excluded)

A year ago, I had never done any work with Flash animation and I didn't know how to create vector graphics. I read the tutorials. I learned to use the software. Eventually, I used that knowledge to create stuff for the forum, because I felt grateful for the work that others had contributed.

You've been here longer than me. As far as I can tell you haven't created anything. What's your excuse? Why aren't you willing to learn?

The chief complication involved in changing the curve is that the game visuals assume that the buttock will present a circular outline at the point of intersection with the back. When the hips rotate, this intersection point will remain stable. The outline of the buttock and outline of the back merge together smoothly, presenting a single unbroken line.

This policy gets broken if we add a significant bulge to the buttocks, because the shape necessarily changes from circular to elliptical. So long as the girl leans forward, this isn't a problem. The old intersection behaviour is preserved and everything looks okay (see image #1 below).

[​IMG]

But as the girl leans back (image #2), the edge of the buttock seems to slide upwards. Or the torso seems to slide downwards into the pelvis, depending on your point of reference. The overall effect is unpleasant. The right buttock doesn't seem to exhibit proper prominence (because it's inexplicably "buried") and the torso eclipses the glare spot (which looks obviously "wrong" and silly).

Image #3 shows a potential compromise. If we alter the layering and adjust the superior curvature then the buttock will appear to rise above the torso. This approach is incompatible with some clothing items, which is probably irrelevant (because none of the existing pants will fit Ms. Giant-Butt anyways). Still, if you harbor any hope of creating clothes for this body mod in the future (especially tight-fitting stuff like jeans) then we should shelve this idea and consider other options.

If we pursue this approach, then it's possible to apply fancy masking techniques which alpha-blend the upper section of the thigh. If this is done properly, the skin appears to flow smoothly across the hips -- instead of presenting an abrupt transition between dissimilar "thigh" and "torso" layers, demarcated by a thick border.

Note: the sample images exhibit some jagged corners (due to sloppy edits) and asymmetry (because the left thigh has not yet been edited). I'm postponing the left-thigh work and the cleanup/polish stuff until we have a clear consensus on how to tackle the buttock-vs-torso intersection issue.

I'll run a few experiments, but I'm mostly waiting for feedback and suggestions from you. We're working with fundamentally "unreal" physiology at this point, and none of the options (including Patrick's mod, which I'm using as the baseline) seem intuitively "correct" to me. So this will need to be a judgement call based on your expectations or preferences.

The simplest alternative would be to maintain a circular shape for the upper buttock, but increase its radius. In order for the increased radius to intersect cleanly with the back, we'd need to switch to a thicker torso. I suggested this option previously, but you seem to have rejected or ignored it. The obvious drawback of this approach is that the increased prominence of the buttock is muted (or "rationalized") the the general chubbiness. It no longer looks like a waif with a freakishly-large butt; we instead see a chubby girl with a larger-than-average butt.

The most comprehensive alternative would be to reimplement the entire buttock as a physics object, anchored at the sacrum and the posterior fascia. SDT would then adjust the buttock shape in realtime - it would stretch out (becoming less prominent) as the girl kneels down, and then compress (becoming more prominent) as she rises up or leans backwards. The anchoring could be applied to the normal torso (no need to switch to the chubby version). This approach would also allow the buttocks to exhibit residual motion (jiggle) in the aftermath of each movement. However, the technique would require a lot of effort in animation and fine-tuning, and it would also impose a non-trivial performance burden (FPS penalty) on the game ... so it's a long-shot.

Other suggestions or proposals are welcome.