The name "Undertow" (1 Viewer)

Slingerbult

Content Creator
As a non-native English speaker, I never thought much of the word "undertow" other than being a cool name in general for a forum. But the other day, I was reading the wikipedia article for Hellraiser (for some reason) and I stumbled on the following quote from Clive Barker in 1987:

"Well, we did have a slight problem with the eroticism. I shot a much hotter flashback sequence than they would allow us to cut in.... Mine was more explicit and less violent. They wanted to substitute one kind of undertow for another. I had a much more explicit sexual encounter between Frank and Julia, but they said no, let's take out the sodomy and put in the flick knife."

So obviously, Barker uses "undertow" as an umbrella term for shady practices in sex and violence, which is exactly what this forum is about! I tried googling it, even in the urban dictionary, but could find no on-line definition of the word that implied this use of the term. So what gives? Is this the intended meaning behind the forum name, and is it a slang term that largely died out during the 90s and is no longer used much, or what?

Sausage&Eggs

Club Regular
My understanding of the word comes from currents. Typically an undertow current will be below the surface current and it will often be travelling in a different direction. Due it being beneath the surface it is also lesser known to the general public who just views the waves from above but it is still always there.

In terms of usage, it is used as a way of describing a direction that isn't conventional. It goes against or at least not aligned with the typical upper currents one would expect. This fits for both the themes and purposes of this site as well as the quote from Barker. Keep in mind that in 1987 both explicit sex and violence were less of accepted in media.

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.