The Dryad from Terraria character request (1 Viewer)

memememe6969

Potential Patron
Hello everyone here on the webz, all things considered this is a weird request and I'm pretty sure no one will take interest. But I would love if someone could try to make a dynamic hair mod or some kind of anything from the dryad from one of my favorite games Terraria. Some reference shots include...
f10478f77e7070638a458fb98892c79e--terraria-dryad-visual-arts.jpg

dryad_terraria_by_rariaz-d9qiia3.png

I searched for a good long while to try and find some good side shots but couldn't, I won't be shocked if this thread gets ignored because of either A: Bad References, B: Difficulty, or C: Probably needs to be made from scratch. But if someone does stumble upon this and wants to try it, be my guest. I may make more requests later even. Chears!

Last edited:

stuntcock

Content Creator
Hello memememe6969 memememe6969 . Welcome to the Undertow forum.

I would love if someone could try to make a dynamic hair mod or some kind of anything from the dryad from one of my favorite games Terraria.
It might be useful to review this recent dynamic-hair request thread, so that we can avoid re-explaining the same points and (hopefully) avoid some of the mistakes made in that thread.

Specific feedback:
  • the two images posted here exhibit differences in the hair's style, length and coloration
    • if possible, please try to identify one preferred/canon reference image. We can then treat the other images as supplementary, and disregard any details which deviate from the main reference.
    • if each image has a specific purpose (e.g. "image #1 shows the correct style, but I'd like to use the color scheme from #2 and include the accessory from #3") then please explain how it all fits together.
    • alternatively: you could import several reference images into Photoshop, do some careful cropping work, and assemble a "Frankenstein" image which includes all of the desired parts (i.e. the bangs from #1, the ponytail from #2, etc).
  • in order for a dynamic hair mod to be created, the hairstyle must first be converted into a vector image
    • vector images can be drawn de novo by a skilled artist. Modders such as @dantethedarkprince have sometimes created dynamic hair mods based on suggestions from fans. The problem, of course, is that such people are rare and they tend to be very busy (i.e. they have long backlogs of mod requests).
    • more commonly, a vector image will be traced from a raster source image. A SDT modder will then import the vectors into Flash and do the necessary animation work. This approach doesn't require artistic talent and can be completed by amateurs, but it does requires a very good reference image as a starting point.
  • there are some highly-detailed fanart images available (example)
    • you might be able to obtain a perfect reference by contacting one of the fan artists and then commissioning them to draw a side-view version of the character.
    • if you're seeking a less-detailed (i.e. more cartoony) style of image then you can ignore this specific example, but the general idea still applies. Try talking to artists -- even if you don't get what you're asking for, they'll appreciate your interest and any feedback that you can provide. They might be inspired to draw more Terraria fanart :)
  • even if an image isn't a perfect side view, it might still be usable
    • an image like this one could potentially be traced as-is and then fitted onto the SDT head template.
    • because this image is highly detailed, it would take a long time to trace. If you're willing to trace it yourself then that would reduce the modder's workload and make the request more likely to be fulfilled.
  • the most important thing is: don't just sit back and wait for a hero modder who can make your dreams come true.
    • you're new here, and so modders might hesitate to get involved in your projects. I could spend a dozen hours creating a cute Dryad hairstyle mod ... but then find that your account has become inactive and there's nobody available to playtest the mod.
    • you can get involved in minor ways around the Undertow website: vote in polls, send reviews and feedback to your favorite artists, make suggestions for new mod features, submit requests (as you've already done), etc.
    • you can get involved more deeply in your own Request project: seek out additional reference images; get in touch with artists; tinker with graphics software (i.e. create raster sketches and mockups, or learn how to draw Bezier curves in Inkscape); read through tutorials and teach yourself some new modding skills; download a trial copy of the Adobe software and see what you can create.
    • you could even contact a modder directly and then ask them for mentorship support as you work through the initial steps of your own project. You might not be able to finish the project on your own, but a senior modder might be impressed enough to take over and complete the project on your behalf.

Probably needs to be made from scratch.
SDT mods are usually "made from scratch" ... in the sense that we seldom reuse material from existing mods. We do rely heavily on existing reference images, of course. But it's rare that we're able to complete a request by - let's say - recoloring an existing PNG hairstyle.

Nonetheless, it's wise to search for existing material. For example: there's a leaf mod which could serve as an ersatz costume for your Dryad girl. If you're asking for a full set of leaf-themed underwear then you'll probably need to find good reference images and make a Request. The reference images don't need to pertain to Terraria, of course. You can probably find more/better references by broadening your search to include anime elf girls, World of Warcraft fanart, comic book superheroine Poison Ivy, etc.

memememe6969

Potential Patron
Alright thanks dude, your advice helps. I will admit I could have done some MUCH deeper dives into things like deviantart. Your response was fast, informative, and helpful. It really surprised me you responded so fast and I agree I don't think i'll be on site to often, however I do check my E-mail frequently so that shouldn't be to big an issue. It was a little naive of me to think things like this aren't done from scratch like 90% of the time, so yeah. I agree I should have been more specific with some sort of description and I defiantly thought to myself after posting "I probably should have added details" but my doubt of people taking notice told me otherwise P.s: I would like to let you know Dante has signed off because he's a dad now, family first right?

Last edited:

memememe6969

Potential Patron
Ok after going through the (oddly small) library of images on DeviantArt and after thinking about it, I have found a few more images and have some specifics in mind:
min_dryad_by_lui_ra-dbjp23g.png

There is of course the high-detailed one you suggested earlier, I Really like this one and the hair is just about what I want, also the vines are what I would like as well.
dryad_by_lui_ra-db7dfqd.png

Made by the same artist for constancy is (oh boi, a contradiction) a front shot with a better representation of the vine "clothes", with another perspective of the hair.

Yeah that's about it, Thanks for the guidance and your suggestions helped a lot. I think that I will try asking some artists some other time about this request and try and see if I could make a "rough" sketch with some sort of tool suggested in other threads...

AurumUTC

Content Creator
While I do support the creation of this mod, I have to point out that your reference images still aren't very good. Generally, reference images should be side views of the character, preferably kneeling, so that a content creator can basically just take the image and directly make it into a mod without having to try and guess at certain features and whatnot, since SDT is a side view. Once again, however, I support this and will try to help find better references if possible.

memememe6969

Potential Patron
Like I said before, the library of images was very small (and over all low quality) so reference images of ideal criteria where basically nonexistent. If you can find something ill be genuinely surprised (not to try and be a dick about it)

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.