1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some moves happening over the next few months

Discussion in 'Club Announcements' started by detritus, Mar 24, 2016.

1. detritus

detritus angry angry Staff Member Administrator

Hey all,

I'm still alive. I know I've been MIA for a minute. Real life takes over as I get older. Trying to be an adult kind of blows, not gonna lie.

I've renewed the lease on the hardware for another three months, but there will likely be another hardware shift soon towards the end of this lease. Network reliability in the current datacenter has been somewhat spotty and because of the software tuning I've done, I've ended up with more resources than I actually need or want to pay for. The downtime won't be anywhere near as bad as before since I'm not planning to change platforms, it's just going to be a backup transfer and cutover.

Until then, I'd like to get a feel for what you guys think of how Undertow turned out. The staff cares a lot about the community and improving it where possible so, I'm opening up the floor.

I'd personally like to know how you feel about XenForo and the Resource Manager. We're about at the six month mark for the software license. I'm a firm believer in not paying for shitty software, so if the forum experience is negative in comparison to previous platforms (Ryonani and GVZ were previously on vBulletin and SDTMods was on SMF) or others you're accustomed to on other sites you visit, speak up. I can't promise that things will change soon or ever, but if you don't say anything I can guarantee that nothing will happen.

2. fleet

fleet Club Regular Staff Member Moderator

XenForo seems to be okay. If by Resource Manager you mean the software that runs it, it seems to be okay. The Downloads section is underutilized (most folks are uploading mods as forum attachments, but I don't think that's what you're asking about.

detritus likes this.
  3. Huitznahua

Huitznahua Casual Client Content Creator

I think the RM is what was missing in the SDTMods community. This is a huge improvement, thank you for that.
    The problem is that the major part of the existing mods are not upload on the RM yet. I gave up for now : it takes forever.

detritus likes this.
  4. Unrelated

Unrelated Club Regular Ryonani Teamster

I've been enjoying the new forums, myself. I know @Idoro is a big fan of it for BoK, with the way quotes and such are handled.

detritus likes this.
  5. Slingerbult

Slingerbult Casual Client Content Creator

The Resource Manager is the future. I search, I find, I download. Only problem is spreading the word and getting the content on there as others have noted.

As for my general impression, I have to say I was skeptical at first and thought SDT had gotten the short end of the stick ending up as a tiny subforum in a new and unknown world. But I was wrong - the forum lives and activity is back up. And we have a much better platform to convene on. Cheers!

NoctSoul and detritus like this.
  6. Idoro

Idoro Fully Functional Staff Member Moderator

My only real issue with these forums are the lack of option to display more than 20 or so posts per thread. For a giant thread like BoK, it presents quite an issue when trying to track down certain posts.