Shih-na from Ace Attorney (Hair + Outfit) (1 Viewer)

XenMon2

Potential Patron
Requesting somebody make a mod for Shih-na from Ace Attorney Investigations. I couldn't find anything, which is a shame because she's my favorite girl from the series. I am requesting the entire look (hair, outfit, eyes, skin tone, etc)
minus the feather boa.

hvizvS9.png

kab8.png

Pretty tiny, but it shows her face from the front:
latest

Non-pixellated drawings of her sprites are at the following two links, showing off her upper body and head in a variety of poses. A sideshot of her head is included in the first. A couple of these are MAJOR LATE-GAME SPOILERS, hence why I'm not posting the images themselves. Enter these links with caution:
http://www.court-records.net/arts/kenji/kab/kab106.png
http://www.court-records.net/arts/kenji/kab/kab107.png

An in-game still of her. It's an action shot, so I'm not sure how helpful it is, but sharing it can't hurt. Like the above images, it's extremely spoilery:
http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net...vention.gif/revision/latest?cb=20101214004242

Miscellaneous info:

She's skinny with relatively large breasts. If slider support can't be done/is to much work, I'm thinking a .95 bodyscale and 73 breast size.

Thanks!

Last edited:

SyntaxTerror

Content Creator
This hair mod can seem simple to make, but it is not, because the colours of the hair and outfit have many gradients that are almost impossible to reproduce with the tools used to draw mods.
What is needed is anime style refs, blah blah blah (I've said this 1000 times). A little like the black part of the dress in the 1st ref of post #3 (two colours, no gradients).

So...

Read carefully the Reference Shot Guide and Requesting Rules.

Faceless

Content Creator
My recommendation would be to crop the hair from one of the reference shots and run it through the color depth function in whatever raster image editor you prefer. Reduce it from TrueColor to 8-color or something. That'll give you a quick and dirty approximation of the highlight and shadows for the hair.

SyntaxTerror

Content Creator
My recommendation would be to crop the hair from one of the reference shots and run it through the color depth function in whatever raster image editor you prefer. Reduce it from TrueColor to 8-color or something. That'll give you a quick and dirty approximation of the highlight and shadows for the hair.
Well, it doesn't really works like this.
Furthermore, these refs have a low resolution and seem to have been "optimised" or resized: you can see repettive paterns like on some GIFs.

I tried what you said with paint.net, but I don't think that anything good can be made out of these low quality references (in fact, not with the tools I have):
ibAX0va.png

Here is the result with GIF Movie Gear to reduce the colours to 8:
Eq0N5sB.png

and to 4 colours:
33fzC6y.png

You can try with the cutting out I made if you want:
LtCF7Ll.png

Last edited:

Faceless

Content Creator
Actually, that first one is pretty good. All of the gradients have been turned into more or less solid regions with dither patterns in between. At this point you can choose to ignore the dithering and trace around the dark regions, ignore the dithering and trace around the light regions, or split the difference and trace through the dithering. Once you have those boundaries defined, then you just fill the regions with solid color to get rid of noise. Remember, the point is just reducing the gradients into something that can be more easily turned into solid regions.

SyntaxTerror

Content Creator
Remember, the point is just reducing the gradients into something that can be more easily turned into solid regions.
I am less optimistic than you on this point.
If I try to do the same thing with a better quality ref (Sabine), the result seems horrible:
3doAlAr.png
...becomes this...
c3LJb5k.png

Most artists/modders here can quite easily trace over an anime style ref, but really requires artistic talent to transform a non-anime image into an anime styled one, especially for hair.
Unfortunately, most requesters are unaware of this and think that a proper mod can be done out of almost anything (even front views sometimes).
Also, they are not aware that making a proper mod takes hours, and do not want to spend time in the searching of usable refs and do their part of the work...

Faceless

Content Creator
If you're expecting to get a usable hair right away, then of course this doesn't work, because that's not the point of the exercise. This is something simple that the requester can do to turn gradients into distinct "normal", "shadow", and "highlight" colors for the artist.

XenMon2

Potential Patron
Wow, I forgot I made this thread. It's been a while . . .

Quick and dirty.

8Y47gRY.png

Thoughts:

- Background is black because it was easier to work with than a white one (for obvious reasons). I'll get around to that.

- I still need to work on that weirdness at the bottom left because her feather boa gets in the way.

- I tried to put some space between her bangs, but I don't think it worked out that well.

Thoughts?

SyntaxTerror

Content Creator
Background is black because it was easier to work with than a white one (for obvious reasons). I'll get around to that.
Why not keeping an alpha background?
Thoughts?
The colours look quite good, but are different from the canonical reference.
You can try to make a test mod to see how the shape of the hair can be adapted to the SDT girl's head.
A "final" mod still seems difficult for me to be achieved, but I am talking from my experience (usually, the more I edit a drawing, the crappier the result seems to me...).

Good luck.

XenMon2

Potential Patron
Why not keeping an alpha background?

I ran it through a vector editor, which spat it out with a white background.

The colours look quite good, but are different from the canonical reference.
You can try to make a test mod to see how the shape of the hair can be adapted to the SDT girl's head.
A "final" mod still seems difficult for me to be achieved, but I am talking from my experience (usually, the more I edit a drawing, the crappier the result seems to me...).

Good luck.

The colors are a bit more in line with her sprite artwork:

shiina-remove(b).gif

Also white hair is sexier.

XenMon2

Potential Patron
Edited the colors a bit; I tried to make it so the white parts are defined by highlights so she doesn't look like a lightbulb (though it doesn't seem to make a huge difference when shrunk down). I drew in the missing part of her hair, and I'm fairly satisfied with the result. I messed around with the gaps a bit so they look a bit better.

The second one has more hairlines, dunno which looks better.

mqh6Qgb.png

BdRQF60.png

Probably all I'll be able to do with this for a while.

Update:
I've had a ton come up and won't have time to work on this for a long, looooong time. Sorry.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.