SDT Loader question (2 Viewers)

James Noise

Potential Patron
hey there, im kinda new to this whole...well everything lol. i was wondering, how do you get it to actually run? is there anything else you need to download?
Hi. I had the same question. Download (here in Undertow) Sby's Loader (in my opinion: one of the best out there). It will have a simple SDT version of the game and a LOADER version of the game. Run whichever you want. Also, you need Adobe Flash Player 11. You must run the game through that app (sby's loader alrrady has it inside!!!!)

sby

Content Creator
Coder
hey there, im kinda new to this whole...well everything lol. i was wondering, how do you get it to actually run? is there anything else you need to download?
standalone flash player projector helps to run the .swf

K

KingHoneyBadger

Can someone please explain to me how I add mods to this exactly? I've looked at several different tutorials and almost none of them used the loader, and the ones that do hardly explain anything.

stuntcock

Content Creator
Can someone please explain to me how I add mods to this exactly? I've looked at several different tutorials and almost none of them used the loader, and the ones that do hardly explain anything.
[W.I.P] SDT Tutorial for Very Newbie User
Getting Started with SDT
Common SDT & Loader questions answered

Please point out the tutorials that aren't helpful. If they're worthwhile then I'll update them; if they're badly written or completely outdated then I'll un-sticky them.

stuntcock

Content Creator
You can't run it from within the ZIP archive. Extract the archive into a stable location (such as c:\Games\SDT). Doing so will create SDT.swf and Loader.swf, plus a bunch of subfolders and other stuff. Then you can launch Loader.swf.

If you've already extracted the folder, then it's presumably a file-access problem. Try launching the Loader.swf file via the standalone Flash projector, or by drag-and-dropping it into a web browser window (if you're already tried this without success, then try it again with a different web browser). If you're still having trouble, then it would be useful to share some details (such as your OS version, which Loader package you're attempting to run, etc) so that we can troubleshoot the technical stuff.

If you're completely unable to overcome this problem then you should still be able to run SDT.swf. You won't be able to use Loader mods, but there's quite a lot of vanilla content for you to enjoy.

This is an English-language forum, but some of the prominent modders and artists learned English as a second or third language. The person responsible for the newbie guide (which you should read, by the way) is French.

If you rely on goofy meme-speak then some readers will have difficulty understanding your posts. You're free to use it, of course, but please be aware that you may get fewer useful responses.

shizusan

Potential Patron
Hey I ran Loader.v5.45a.ModGuy loader.swf running adobe flash 20 on the window and the loader side is blank, can't load any mods or positions from the picture of Loader.v5.45a.ModGuy looks like you can load reset etc.. What am I doing wrong can you help please?

stuntcock

Content Creator
Hey I ran Loader.v5.45a.ModGuy loader.swf running adobe flash 20 on the window and the loader side is blank
That screenshot is intended to illustrate the potential of the SDT Loader. When you first install the Loader, it doesn't change the SDT gameplay experience very much -- no characters will be added to the roster, you won't be able to switch sexual positions, and the Loader tab will be blank. The value of the Loader is that it allows you to use Loader mods which do make significant changes to SDT (example).

If you want to reproduce the image shown in the screenshot, then you must install animtools. If you're not familiar with SDT modding, then you may find it easier to just replace your entire SDT folder with sby's Loader Pack.

Slingerbult

Content Creator
I was using Flash Player Debugger v. 10.3 and tried upgrading to v 22 yesterday. It slows SDT to a crawl. I use the same quality setting, so that's not it. I tried both th v 22 "Flash Player Projector Debugger" and "Flash Player Projector" (both for mac). Both have the slowness issue. The frame rate is so slow that it takes several seconds for her hair to fall into place when switching positions! What could be causing this? I tried using v. 10.3 again (good luck I didn't throw it out!) and it works fine again. So I'm sure it's the player.

shizusan

Potential Patron
could be newer flash players made for newer more powerful pc's that's why Flash Player Debugger v. 10.3 works with your pc the best for SDT but maybe newer SDT requires newer flash player?

SuccubusSasha

Potential Patron
Weird issue, figured this would be the place to ask for advice. Browser updated recently (google chrome, though I tried firefox and had same issue) and now the loader won't load any .swf mods, both stuff included in Mods.txt and trying to import through the modding tab. It will still load custom dialogue but not other stuff. Does anyone know what might be causing this, or how I could fix it?

Slingerbult

Content Creator
Hi ModGuy ModGuy
I have a request for future loader updates - don't know if it's easy to do or even possible but here it goes:

Today, many more advanced dialogues are "bundled" together with a preconfigured loader and mod package. So you start the special loader, wait while the mods load with some random him/her/background setup in the background, open up the options menu and pick the designated character folder. The screen turns black (usually) and then - tada - there is the "game" or dialogue project.

Now, what I'm asking is: would it be possible to just click the loader and immediately get to "tada"? Much like we use the §INIT folder to auto-load mods on start-up, could we have a start-up character folder that auto-loads as you launch the loader? The problems with the current system are the following:
1) While mods load and as you mess around with the options menu, there is the risk that you accidentally throat her which might upset the initial lines of the loaded dialogue project, or at least ruin the immersion. Sometimes she even locks into a wretching/gagging animation despite not having a cock there anymore.
2) It is less intuitive for new players who have no experience with character folders and the options menu. It would be better if they wouldn't have to bother with the options menu at all - just launch and play, all instructions are in the dialogue interface.
3) It is far more elegant to just go from A) blue SDT load screen - B) Black blank mod loading screen - C) auto-loaded dialogue project. It becomes more of a real game with a real platform.

What do you think about this?

stuntcock

Content Creator
could we have a start-up character folder that auto-loads as you launch the loader?
That's literally what the $INIT$ folder does. It's a fully-fledged character folder; you can put a background or dialogue file or charcode in there.

It also maintains priority. If you place a dialogue file in your $INIT$ folder, then it will be loaded after all of the SWF mods. The one important exception is the moreClothing mod, whose initialization continues even after its "official" loading period is complete. Therefore the Loader will attempt to start normal gameplay (moving, speaking, gagging, etc) while the girl's body is still flitting through many different costumes and poses.

would it be possible to just click the loader and immediately get to "tada"?
If you mean "start the game, don't need to click anything else, walk away from the computer, return two minutes later and everything is ready-to-go" then that's probably achievable.

If you mean "start the game, wait two seconds, and everything is ready-to-go" then not bloody likely. Maybe it's just that my PC is shit, but it takes me ~1000 ms to load dialogueActions. Unless you're willing to forfeit all of the cool stuff (such as moreClothing), you're not going to achieve an instantaneous startup.

Slingerbult

Content Creator
That's literally what the $INIT$ folder does.

Mind = blown! I totally did not get that. New possibilities loom ahead!

It also maintains priority. If you place a dialogue file in your $INIT$ folder, then it will be loaded after all of the SWF mods. The one important exception is the moreClothing mod, whose initialization continues even after its "official" loading period is complete.

OK. So then I have a new idea to achieve the result I was going for. Does moreClothing tell the game when it's done somehow? Could another mod use that as an input to kill itself?

I'm suggesting a mod that you place at the very top of Mods.txt in $INIT$ so it gets loaded first. What does it do? It temporarily displays a black splash screen that resides on top of any green mod loading text and it mutes the sound (so you don't hear THUMP THUMP THUMP as moreClothing is flitting through stuff). It also freezes/disables/hides characters, whatever, makes them inert. Then when moreClothing is all done loading, it bows out and tells dialogue actions to play any start lines. The black screen is standard but could of course be swapped to an instructional image with text on how to play the game that is being loaded. That way you make use of the time while mods load.

If this is doable, I might ask Dr. Zombie as he already has splash screens you can activate via dialogue triggers. What do you think, wouldn't it be neat?

stuntcock

Content Creator
Does moreClothing tell the game when it's done somehow? Could another mod use that as an input to kill itself?
Yes, but you should be talking directly to @Pim_gd or sby sby about this topic. ModGuy ModGuy has already done the necessary work; the Loader provides all of the functionality needed to fulfill this request. I could probably kluge something together which works with the current versions of dialogueActions and moreClothing, but the code would be very brittle. You'll get better results if you can convince sby sby and/or @Pim_gd to officially support this feature in their mods.

It temporarily displays a black splash screen that resides on top of any green mod loading text
Possible misfeature. The text may be bad for immersion, but it's still important information. Modders rely on user-reported errors (i.e. red text) in order to troubleshoot problems. If the screen simply turns black and then something goes wrong, it would be very difficult for us to investigate and resolve the problem.

The total concealment of any "progress indicator" stuff might also confuse newbies. Someone might simply assume that the game has crashed after watching a black screen for twenty seconds, and so they'd close the Flash Player window. Then they start it up again and the same thing happens. Then they delete the whole thing and downvote your mod :)

and it mutes the sound (so you don't hear THUMP THUMP THUMP as moreClothing is flitting through stuff). It also freezes/disables/hides characters, whatever, makes them inert.
That sounds effective - but a cheaper solution may exist. If you simply load a position file which places the characters several meters apart, then movement could probably be allowed because it's mostly harmless (and won't generate any SFX).

Then when moreClothing is all done loading, it bows out and tells dialogue actions to play any start lines.
Another possible approach would be to "pause" the dialogue engine while g.sceneLayer.visible is false. Then you wouldn't need to directly integrate moreClothing with dialogueActions. moreClothing would simply manipulate the scene visibility (which is something that it already does, in order to accelerate its loading) and then dialogueActions would "notice" when moreClothing is finished. It would then proceed with the Start lines.

Actually ... you might be able to achieve this without any changes to mods, simply by including some fancy conditional logic within your dialogue lines (i.e. deliberately lock your starting lines into a loop based on the value of g.sceneLayer.visible ... then escape the loop when the scene becomes visible ... then load an appopriate position, background image, costumes, etc ... then launch into the actual narrative). I've never done any serious dialogue scripting; you'd need to talk to @DrZombi or @Pim_gd or someone else who really knows this stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.