Start HD SDT & SDT FrameRateUnlocker [Updated 10/17/2022] (1 Viewer)

eh?

• Total voters

The Hacker Known As Snow

Admin
Content Creator
SDT FrameRateUnlocker v1.0 11/13/2021
Requires the Loader
Can be loaded manually as a swf mod or through $INIT$

v1.0
Released two versions 48fps and 60fps
Dropped .mod file extension indicating the mod was loader only for .swf for final release.

Unreleased is an "unlimited" fps method detailed below.
The previous version of this original post contained a lot of wrong information. I was confounded during my initial testing from using an APU laptop as well as SDTL2, making my results very.. weird. Below is my final analysis of SDT performance.

Baseline SDT Performance:

Flash 32 has the worst performance by far and includes the most sever versions of two issues with Adobe Flash Players.
1) When the application is not focused your fps tanks
2) Moving the mouse over the application for any reason tanks your fps

Starting in flash 11 #2 is present

For the best Baseline SDT performance use Flash Player v10.3r183.90 For SDT

Achieving higher than 30fps
Adobe Flash is NOT capped to 30 FPS

Starting in flash player 10.1 flash was limited to 60fps. Konastion's SDT 1.21.1b was compiled in flash 11, it is there for locked to 60fps without using other hacks to go higher than that.

All SDT FrameRateUnlocker does is set the stage frame rate from 30 to 48 or 60 depending on which file you load. Its just a regular Loder mod that changes an official built in flash variable.

Code:
package flash
{
    import flash.display.MovieClip;

public dynamic class Main extends flash.display.MovieClip
    {

public function initl(l)
        {
            l.stage.frameRate = 60;
            l.unloadMod();
        }
    }
}

This basically fast forwards the game, many actions are performed at high speeds, for auto, soft mode seems the only viable option.

Mods that perform calculations may also be speed up, or slowed down, or perform instantly or even not at all, if they use frame rate to time their calculations.

For these reasons a 48fps version is provided in and effort to minimize these effects.

The severity of these issues is unknown. If you find mods that have these effects please report them in this thread. Mods that use a settings txt may simply need to be altered.

FPS Boost

Many users have reported that they go from sub 30fps to higher frame rates. I'm unsure why this happens. But you can test for your self, be sure too, to also use the recommended flash player linked above.

Hacking above 60fps
ADVANCED USERS ONLY - SCARCE TO ZERO SUPPORT FOR THIS METHOD
  1. Download GitHub - jindrapetrik/jpexs-decompiler: JPEXS Free Flash Decompiler
  2. Open the loader
  3. Select its header > Edit
  4. Change the SWF version to 10
  5. Save

1. Edit the source code above with your desired frame rate and compile as is
  2. Add the mod swf to a loader $INIT$ at the top of mods.txt

1. Set all the mods/single character to load from $INIT$
  2. The game COMPLETELY breaks within 20secs of launch
  3. A single character installation is possible through $INIT$ ONLY
  4. From there auto mode is fully functional

1. OPEN THE LOADER WITH FLASH VERSION 10r45_2_sa.exe NO OTHER VERSIONS KNOWN TO WORK

Start HD SDT
Application
Screenshot 2022-10-17 001836.png

Screenshot 2022-10-17 001908.png

Screenshot 2022-10-17 001929.png

This is a GUI application that fixes a few issues with SDT and the Flash projector, hopes to greatly improve performance for CPUs with greater than 4 threads, and add some QoL features.
  • Uses an included copy of Flash player 10.3 which is the fastest for SDT
  • Now allows you to search your PC for any Flash Player/file location you prefer
  • Sets the Flash player to your CPUs max affinity(threads)
    • This shouldn't matter but I've see the affinity set wrong sometimes. If your CPU has more than 4 threads you might see a performance gain. Your max number of threads is detected and set by default, you can only lower it.
  • Sets the Flash player to High Priority
    • This should generally improve performance
  • Allows you to choose an HD starting resolution
  • Now includes a few more resolutions
    • Previously the flash player's outer window bounds was set, now the inner game area is set to the exact resolution including when Windows 10/11 is scaled above 100%
  • Fixes a Windows scaling issue, when the desktop is scaled above 100%, with the Flash player that caused blurry edges and text
    • This is done by setting the following regestry key: @"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers" "Application path" "HIGHDPIAWARE"

Last edited:

asoth

Potential Patron
For the best Flash performance for SDT, use the Flash Projector version 10.3 r_183
Where can I find earlier versions of the projector? Been looking for 10.3 r_183 or 10.3.183 for hours and can't find anything earlier than their latest version 32. Can I find it somewhere on these forums?

The Hacker Known As Snow

Admin
Content Creator
Where can I find earlier versions of the projector?
Its all over the SDT Discord server but I just finally uploaded it to the RM today

lipsticklover

Potential Patron
Requires Loader, can be installed to $INIT$ or loaded normally.
Proof of concept release v0.1 8/31/2021

Download

The information on this board about Adobe Flash's and SDT's performance limitations are very outdated. For a few months I've on been testing the game's performance and these are my findings:

Q: Why does Flash perform worse than it used to years ago.
A: Flash was designed with pre modern multi threading in mind. When you allow Flash to run on all your CPU cores your entire system interrupts Flash's performance.

For the best Flash performance for SDT, use the Flash Projector version 10.3 r_183, uninstall bloatware and unnecessary background applications, close all applications and run video game boosting software like Razor Cortex. To go insane you can run Flash in a VM with 3 cores, disable hyperthreading, force everything expect flash to core 1 and force flash to core 2. More testing is need on possible VM configurations and possible VM applications.

Q: I thought Flash/SDT was capped at 30 FPS?
A: Flash's frame rate is capped to 120 which is an industry standard for video capture. Your cell phone camera likely has this mode for slow motion video. Adobe recommends frame rates of 60-30 for video, 20-30 for animations and 20-15 for interactive applications. However this assumes a web page environment where there could be many flash elements. Standalone applications and some flash games have been running with target frame rates of 60 FPS for many years. SDT's final version was made is 2013 and the project file was set for 30 FPS as was standard at the time.

Q: I thought SDT/Flash were horribly un optimized?
A: The base vanilla game ran well on desktop years ago. Complications arose with modern computers expanded multi tasking/multi core and multi threaded techniques that bombard Flash's low priority with CPU requests. Newer versions of Adobe's Flash projector also worsened SDT performance, such as the Flash SA version 11 bug where moving your mouse, irrespective of moving HER or HIM, would tank your FPS. Additionally mods for the game where made by hobbyists and volunteers that don't always use optimal techniques and can take quite the hit on the game's performance.

Q: How does this mod work under the hood?
A: All it does is set the stage frame rate to the the max; 120. Its stupidly simple, though needs much more fine tuning.

package flash { import flash.display.MovieClip; public dynamic class Main extends flash.display.MovieClip { public function initl(l) { l.stage.frameRate = 120 l.unloadMod(); } } }

Q: If all you had to was change a single variable why wasn't this done before?
A: It was probably a small internet urban legend type of phenomenon. There have been very few technical users around and very few users in general anyway. Flash has an infamous reputation and the negative attitude spread to rumors of explanations of the game's poor performance. For years the death of flash exaggerated the idea of the impossibility to improve the game's performance.

Many people believe in legacy support for Flash. There are lots of efforts online to preserve and improve old flash games and apps. In the future its possible that the Flash version of SDT could be run with full performance.

Q: I followed all the recommended performance guidelines but I don't get 120 FPS.
A: Flash uses a "Target FPS" system where the application vaguely tries to reach the target as well as lowering FPS to give up resource back to random CPU requests by other applications running on your PC. This mod uses 120 as the "Target FPS" to allocate the maximum CPU percentage. Your idle CPU usage should be as low as possible for the mod to have access to as close to the max resources. All users should notice decent performance gains but your CPU is the limiting factor. Reducing background application interruptions is imperative.

Q: Everything seems to be speed up/fast forwarded and mods with numbers/maths are super fast or super slow now.
A:
All of the games maths and physics are tied to framerate so mods with calculations are speed up in time since the game used to basically run in slow motion since frames were not skipped. That's why the low FPS in SDT looks slow and not choppy like a 3D video game would look with a low frame rate.

In the future this mod will be expanded and fine tuned. The "Target frame rate" can be made dynamic so that it maintains a more solid 60 "true FPS" on most systems or if can be adjustable. New mods can account for this mod's new calculation rate. And old mods can also be adjusted.

Q: I get amazing frames rates but also huge drops when there is action, how can I fix this?
A: This is due to the low priority issue. Flash responds poorly to huge sudden demands for CPU usage. I am unaware of a solution for that at this time. The game should reapproach higher fps if the demand is sustained.

Do you plan on reuploading this?

bluefag

Potential Patron
Hey there. I tried using the mod but my fps stay the same, between 10 and 20. Is my computer too shitty to run it smoother ?

The Hacker Known As Snow

Admin
Content Creator
how did you get the fps counter?
The green counter is Dxtory. Alternatively the loader shows the fps in the top left when you press escape
Hey there. I tried using the mod but my fps stay the same, between 10 and 20. Is my computer too shitty to run it smoother ?
What's your CPU clock speed? That's the most important factor. Make sure you also use the recommended flash player.

bluefag

Potential Patron
The green counter is Dxtory. Alternatively the loader shows the fps in the top left when you press escape

What's your CPU clock speed? That's the most important factor. Make sure you also use the recommended flash player.
I use the recommanded player.
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6300HQ CPU @ 2.30GHz

The Hacker Known As Snow

Admin
Content Creator
I use the recommanded player.
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6300HQ CPU @ 2.30GHz
my intel dual core 2.3ghz with no turbo clock gets 32fps in the loader, but that's with all the options off and no mods

your CPU how ever, does have turbo clock; 3.20ghz and you have four cores. You should get more than 10-20fps

Try lowering the settings in the options tab in game, do try disabling spit, if that fixes it you can try sby's strandlimit, you can also simplify your loader start up mods, if that still doesn't work, let me know what your idle cpu usage is. Like any PC game make sure you are not running lots of things in the background.

sclover13

Content Creator
At a certain point your hardware ceases to matter with flash. So turning off other elements in the game is usually your only option. I really do like this framerate unlocker however, for some reason it allows me to gain a little FPS on certain mods using DHE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.