1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[PC] Ryonopolis

Discussion in 'Adult Games' started by detritus, Jan 9, 2012.

1. detritus

detritus angry angry Staff Member Administrator

I didn't want to make too much noise about this until I felt I had a decent amount of work done and I came up with a name for it, since I've only been posting about it in the blog section of the site, and I mean really, who wanders over to that side of town these days? :P I also won't to be updating this thread that often. Latest info about the project will always be on the blog since it already has a log of all the changes I've made (and a record of all those times I changed my mind on what I was doing).

Anyway, without further ado, I give you... dramatic pause
    Ryonopolis
    (the name doesn't really mean anything, it's just a goofy suffix I stick onto words sometimes)
    tumblr_lfym0oC3881qct27vo1_500.png
    Super Green™

Currently it will only be for Windows, but if enough people request it, I will make builds for Mac as I update.

This is planned to be a ryona/vore game first and foremost with H themes being added only after everything else is done. Why? Because I think there a lot of great H games out there and in the works.

Let me start by saying I have every intention of finishing this project, but shit happens. Even if I don't finish it, if this gets more people into developing adult indie games I will still consider it a success. I've spoken to several members regarding game development and people seem to be scared off by one aspect or another of the process be it the coding or the artwork, or even just the time required.

This might sound like a big plug for Unity, but I'm not associated with them in anyway. I've just tried their software and I really like it. I work full time. I've always been an academic failure. I'm not a programmer or an artist professionally or casually. I was still able to make as much as I have so far with resources freely available during my 30 day trial of Unity Pro. The free version of Unity only has minor limitations, mostly visual. If I rebuilt the project I have now with the free version, the only thing that would be gone are the dynamic soft shadows and the glass shaders (which I barely used).

That's my spiel. Give it a try and let me know what you think.

I have lots of plans in terms of features I'll be adding. I've spent the majority of my free time the last month getting this much done but it is by no means anywhere near complete.

There are a few parts of the game where I would be open to help:
    Story
    Model animation
    Level design

If you're interested in working on the project with me in these areas, send me a PM.

Main menu
    game6.jpg

Credits screen
    game5.jpg

Options screen
    game4.jpg

Me working in Unity
    game3.jpg

Wandering the cramped test level
    game2.jpg game1.jpg

Main blog page

Download links (latest build is always first)

Watch me work~

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2012
  2. Someone92

Someone92 Swell Supporter Staff Member Moderator

HOLY COW!!!!!!!!!!11111oneoneoneoneeleven

Somehow I remembered that your game would be some kind of 2D game, not that you're using Unity. Haven't downloaded and tested yet but from the screenshots it already looks amazing.

3. Black Lion

Black Lion Swell Supporter Ryonani Teamster

Ooh, I'm excited for this! Let us know if you need anything from us other than opinions on your builds.

Edit: The game doesn't run very well for me, even on the "Fastest" setting.

4. clownavneger

clownavneger Guest

looks cool, cant wait to see the finished product.

5. Neonie

Neonie Casual Client Ryonani Teamster

I love the way it looks!

First of all, game runs fine here on highest settings;
    Windows 7 64bit
    i7 860
    GTX 460

One little feedback I have so far is the controls. I hate how sluggish it feels with the 3D plane and how you have to turn and then can move forward. You might want to consider this, W to move away from the screen, S to move towards the screen and A and D to move left and right on the screen. These then stay the same regardless of the direction the character is facing and would speed up the control scheme substantially as then you can move diagonally too (e.g. W+D = move away from screen and to the right diagonally).

Movement wise this game should be like the Ninja turtles on Sega Genesis ;)
    (i think the new one on PS3 has more or less the same movement design). Thus with the WASD scheme I said above.

6. detritus

Worked on the movement script tonight. The character was just using the standard motor script that came with the model. While in the middle of doing that, I came up with the thought to record a time lapse of myself working. It's actually pretty cathartic to watch afterwards since I tend to silently rage while I'm coding. The music is kinda loud so you might want to turn down your volume. Also, standard epilepsy warning.

[video=vimeo;34837763]http://vimeo.com/34837763[/video]

7. HyperZealot

HyperZealot Avid Affiliate Ryonani Teamster

I actually have been reading your blogs. I just never commented on them. XD I'm glad to see you're using a more realistic look. A lot of these types of games usually have an anime-ish look to them, and that isn't up my alley. I'll have to download it later on once I fire up my PC. I'm only posting from my iPod right now lol.

8. thesteedman

thesteedman Casual Client Ryonani Teamster

Wow, watching that clip it looks like you've put a hell of a lot of work into this. I wish I could help you out but I don't have a clue about anything when it comes to this kind of thing. All I can say though is that its looking very good so far, I'm amazed at the progress you've made. I'd ask for some kind of bearhug or waist crushing move to be put into this game, but I imagine that would be a programming nightmare.

Keep up the good work man. If you ever need help with suggestions or the such, just say and I'm sure the guys here will help you out, myself included. I just wish I could do more, but I'm intimidated by that clip and super busy myself. Still, I'll offer support where I can!

9. detritus

I'm glad the response to the visuals has been pretty positive so far, although to be honest, most of it isn't even because of anything I did (unless you really like that boxy radio ;) ) The controls are in the works. The movement is relative to the perspective of the camera and there's really no turning now (as Neon mentioned). I'm currently figuring out how I want to handle gravity/jumping. After that's finished, I'm going to start moving into game mechanics, at the very least add some kind of health bar and a death state. After there's a system in place for handling animations between 2+ models, adding things like bear hugs and really any other kind of hold/grab will be fairly simple I think, it's just a matter of creating the animations. After that, I will probably try to figure out enemy AI so that at the very least they can do some basic attacks against the player. I think once AI is done, it will be a good time to start looking into taking suggestions on various animations.

I'm waiting to do animations because at this point, even if I created them, I wouldn't be able to tie them into the game yet. In the mean time, if any of you guys can figure out how to properly import an XNALara model into Blender, it would make that less time consuming. Refer to my other thread about the problem I was having. Really the benefits of getting the models to import correctly would be that they're already rigged and all the models would share the same skeleton/joints, so animations I make could be used on any XNALara model. I've really been focusing on XNALara but I mean really, if anyone knows of any other ways to get pre-rigged/animated models from other sandbox type programs like GMOD or Poser in a format Maya can import, I will do my best to get the ones you want into the game.

On the note about you feeling like you don't have a clue... I really hope you and anybody else that feels that way try taking a different outlook on your ability. If you saw the video, you probably noticed in the blur how often I was pulling up documentation, Googling, and pulling from other projects to get what I got. I'm not aspiring to be a game developer, I just want to make a decent game. My code won't be elegant and though I'll certainly make the effort to, it probably won't be that efficient either. Any resources I don't have to make, I won't. It's basically like stealing someone's Lego blocks to make something I want. I think all you really need is patience. If you've had the patience to figure out and to make scenes in XNALara, how to mod Oblivion or Fallout, or even play through a shitty game just in the hopes for ryona, I'm pretty sure you have it in you.

If you want to take some baby steps into it, I highly reccommend the tutorials at 3dbuzz.com
    Some require a membership (which isn't all that expensive) but they have a ton up for free over lots of different topics (modeling, texturing, programming, UDK, Unity, etc.)

10. HyperZealot

HyperZealot Avid Affiliate Ryonani Teamster

I just checked it out. It definitely looks good. Like what has already been said, the walking controls need to be fixed, but other than that, it's a solid start. I'm sure it'll be pretty awesome once you make the enemies interactive and such.

11. officerlumpy

officerlumpy Guest

I'd say it was a smart decision to release how you're doing so far, so that people won't get blood hungry, while at the same time, others would see that you're still working on it, and won't rage on you lol.

I enjoy the smooth animation, and the tiny lulz how the short dude punches you out of the way if u get in its way.

12. detritus

Just noticed that wall on the menu screen is rather bare, so I thought I'd put up a few more posters on it. If you'd like your artwork on the wall, just attach or post a link to the image here and I'll put it in the next update after I see it. I will make a separate credits page for the artwork.

13. Neonie

Neonie Casual Client Ryonani Teamster

I like the new Ryonapolis 2 2D movement scheme with 3D graphics.

In the control scheme you still have up and down bound, what will they do later on? Are they to walk down those paths you see in the background? or?

14. Mombo

Mombo Guest

Hey, the main blog page is not available anymore. Is the project closed?

15. other-s

other-s Potential Patron

No, not that I know. I think the reason why you think it's closed is that clanssd changed their name to detritus. The blog link is set to the original name.
    Here's the right link.

16. Atmey

Atmey Vivacious Visitor

Hey man, I am glad to see someone uses unity, I made something up a while ago in unity, it looks more like hit boxes than a game. I would like to help.