[PC] RyonaniXP (1 Viewer)

d£t

nu
Ryonani Teamster
RyonaniXP R1.1

This project is no longer maintained but I'm leaving it around in case people still use it. It's really old and I don't remember much about how I set it up at this point so I can't support it any more.

Download link (2.0 GB):
MEGA

I'm not sure how functional this version is but it's unfortunately the only one I have. Mediafire decided to close my account. New link as of 08/18/2013.

FAQ:
Q: What is RyonaniXP?
A:
RyonaniXP is a virtual machine of Windows XP SP3. The goal of it is to give you the ability to play those wonderful Japanese games that are always a pain in the ass to get working on your own machine due to regional settings, missing dependencies, driver issues, and whatever else.

Q: What do I need to run it?
A:
Any desktop or laptop made in the last 5-6 years should be able to handle running this virtual machine in VMWare Player. The image itself is about 4 GB and the swap file is 768 MB so I suggest 5 GB of free space. I know that seems kind of heavy, but you can always shrink it a bit by deleting the included games and only keeping the ones you want on there.

Q: Will game X run on it?
A:
I can't give any guarantees but every game I've tested on it so far has worked. This is the first release and I didn't have anyone to help me test it. Future releases may be improved. The goal is to have a standard machine for everyone to use to run games so troubleshooting is much more simple.

Q: Will this mess up my computer?
A:
Virtual machines, for all intents and purposes, run independently from your own operating system. If RyonaniXP breaks, no biggie just download it again and it will be good as new. You can copy files in between your OS and RyonaniXP using copy and paste. You can drag files in too but that only seems to work half the time for some odd reason.

It does install two network interfaces on your computer but they aren't used by RyonaniXP so feel free to disable them if you want. You can also use it as a sandbox to test potentially dangerous files.

Installation:

First, download VMWare Player and RyonaniXP.

You can get the latest version from the official site (registration required)
VMware Player: Run Windows 7, Chrome OS - Free Download for a Virtual PC

Run RyonaniXP.exe and extract to a location of your choice.

If you have trouble extracting it:
Installation of VMWare Player is pretty straight forward. I would uncheck "Check for product updates on startup" and "Help improve VMWare Player" as they aren't really necessary. Rest is up to you. After it's finished, it will ask you to restart but it actually isn't necessary.

After installing VMWare Player, if you open the program you should see a window pop up with two panes (assuming it doesn't bug you about updates) . On the left it will say Home and on the right there will be multiple options. Just click Open a Virtual Machine and go to where you extracted the RyonaniXP folder and point it to the .vmx file inside. You should now see it listed on the left pane. Click on it and on the right pane you can click "Play virtual machine" to start it up.

It may ask you whether you "moved it" or "copied it". Say "copied it".

Just give it a bit, experience all the cool custom images I put in there and enjoy when it finishes booting :P

Some handy things:
The machine is supposed to run at 1024x768, mostly just because you rarely need to run at a higher resolution than that. It can go up to 1280x1024 if need be. There are two icons on the desktop to reset the resolution if it gets wonky from resizing the window. Also if you're a neat freak and the icons get strewn about you can right click on My Computer and restore the icon locations.

After thoughts:
I was originally going to make this a video tutorial of sorts but I forgot how loud the highway next to my house is and what a pain in the dick it is to record a voice over where I live. Maybe I'll find the will to do it when I get snowed in one day but I don't think it'll be anytime soon.

Feel free to make suggestions. This is a first release and therefore very likely to have unseen issues that slipped past me so bug reports are also appreciated. If you think it sucks, well just don't use it. It's free.

Last edited:

Ryooo123456

Ryonani Teamster
what might some of those be? sorry, i just kind of clicked into it, dunno if it's on some other page... ;\

d£t

nu
Ryonani Teamster
Sorry I forgot to list those. You can see them in the second screenshot though.

Catnip

Ryonani Teamster
Is it possible to get this as a torrent, please? My internet connection is, while unlimited, ridiculously slow and sometimes unstable, so torrent is my best bet to get big files.

d£t

nu
Ryonani Teamster
So is this similar to NTLEA and AppLocale, but better?

Somewhat, although it should have higher functionality than either. This is an operating system that will run on top of yours. So no need for AppLocale/NTLEA, changing non-unicode settings, or Windows compatibility modes.

life-saver

Ryonani Teamster
spend the whole day getting it piece by piece from mediafire, and I got a corruption error on Ryonani XP-s005.vmdk
... sinsce i can't know in which part this 1 gb file is located, i probably have to get it all again...
Any chance we can get that torrent soon?

Someone92

Vivacious Visitor
spend the whole day getting it piece by piece from mediafire, and I got a corruption error on Ryonani XP-s005.vmdk
Seems like I'm not the only one with this exact problem. d£t, do you know which file contains this file? I don't really want to download the whole thing yet again.

life-saver

Ryonani Teamster
if you\ve got it too on the same file, its not a download issue, but an archiving issue. i'm currently getting the megaupload one... (crossing my fingers)

d£t

nu
Ryonani Teamster
It may have gotten corrupted while being uploaded to Mediafire, which isn't unusual with files this big. I extracted the archive and tested it before I uploaded it so the original on my computer should be fine. I'll remove the mediafire links for now and see about making a torrent of it. I'll probably reupload to mediafire tonight as well. Thanks for letting me know about this. My apologies to you guys who already spent time downloading it.

When I get home I'll try to pinpoint which one is corrupted but I'm not sure I can make any promises on it.

d£t

nu
Ryonani Teamster
I've attached a torrent to the first post. I'm not sure pinpointing the problematic file on Mediafire will be worth the bandwidth since I'll be uploading it as the only seeder for awhile. The only way for me to find out which file is corrupt is to download all the pieces. Really, really sorry to those who downloaded the Mediafire link but I triple checked the original archive and it extracts fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.