Rin Okumura from Blue Exorcist (1 Viewer)

willitfit

Potential Patron
Hey there!

I'd love to improve upon this mod of Rin Okumura. This is the hair I made, and it works "OK" so far.
There's a LOT to be improved upon!

By all means, if you're in the mood to help in any way (write a dialogue, make a background, make clothes or improve upon the hair etc.) go for it!

REF 1 - REF 2 - REF 3 - REF 4 - REF 5 (For Hair)

The clothes I used (which you can see in the screenshot) were found here on the forum. (Tops - Hoodie Unzipped - White; cl_demontail; Tops - Pushed Up Top - Black).

Wanna help me make it better? :D

RinHair.png RinExample.jpg

Last edited:

willitfit

Potential Patron
You did a really good job with Rin Okumura's hair! I look forward to seeing more male hairs from you.

Thank you! I wish I could make the costume too but I'm a bit stuck with that. Dunno how to turn it into a swf object ^^" I don't even have a template for it.

stuntcock

Content Creator
Dunno how to turn it into a swf object ^^"
You need to get a trial copy of Adobe Animate or learn some clever scripting.

I don't even have a template for it.
You can merge your work into the SVG body template and then ask someone to publish it as a SWF mod.

If you've already drawn the costume in raster format then you can also copy/paste/size/fit your work onto the PSD template. As above, you'll then need to post your PSD file in that thread and find someone who's willing to publish it in SWF format.

If you haven't begun yet then I work encourage you to use the vector approach (assuming that you're comfortable with both). Vector graphics are easier to handle when preparing a SWF file, and we can more easily incorporate SDT features (such as RGB sliders) when working with vectors.

stuntcock

Content Creator
Is there a step-by-step tutorial anywhere here where I could learn how to make clothing, please?
There are tutorials for Flash clothing mods (example) but there isn't a step-by-step guide for using the PSD or SVG templates. They're meant to be what-you-see-is-what-you-get. If you draw a blue scribble across the girl's thigh within the PSD file, then the resulting SWF would paint a blue scribble on the thigh of the SDT character.

The major weakness of the process is the fact that you're unable to test or preview your work. This is most relevant when dealing with transparency (e.g. sheer clothing) -- a design might look great against the grey template, but then it looks weird against pale skin (or dark skin, or whatever). Anatomical motion can also cause gaps to appear at the joints (or introduce unwanted overlap effects). If you're working in vectors then a Flash modder can usually identify and fix such problems before publishing the file. If it's a raster drawing then the modder will need to make adjustments within the PSD - or send the file back to you with a set of suggested revisions.

If you're willing to discuss some of the projects that you've contemplated (e.g. shirts, collars, weapons, etc) then I can try to offer specific advice and feedback. Or we might be able to identify a veteran SDT modder (someone who deals with similar themes or material) and ask whether they're willing to provide direct support and mentorship for your next modding project.

General advice:
  • start with a small project, such as a bracelet or pair of shoes
    • the key point here is that you're drawing an item which fits onto a single body part
    • large articulated clothing pieces are trickier (because you can't test/preview the motion) and gloves require multiple "poses" (which means greater complexity and more risk of error)
  • use multiple layers
    • the modder must be able to separate your artwork from the template before they import the sprites into Flash
    • even if you're creating a tattoo or body modification (such as claws, tail, etc) don't draw it on the body. Draw it on a new layer above the body layer.
  • don't obsess over small details
    • SDT allows players to zoom in very far, so creators sometimes spend a lot of time fussing over their work at 1600% magnification and correcting very small errors
    • nobody actually plays the game at high zoom. Nobody will notice the tiny flaws. Nobody will appreciate the tiny shading details. It's OK to be a bit sloppy :)
  • consider vector drawing
    • ignoring SDT for a moment: it may be useful to develop this skill for professional purposes (e.g. logo design, infographics, data visualization)
    • Flash has some neat feature, but most of them aren't applicable to raster images. We can import your raster artwork into the game ... but then we're just sliding your sprites across the canvas to match the character's movements.
    • if your artwork is in vector format then we can add animation details - such as breast slider support, dynamic hair motion, etc. We can also perform tricks with masks and deformation in order to make clothes "fit" more accurately around joints.
    • note: you may be able to collaborate with a Flash modder who converts or traces your artwork to vectors, and then makes interactive SDT mods based on it. But some detail is usually lost in the conversion (and it's a duplication of effort) so it might be simpler to draw the original artwork in vector format instead.
  • you are not alone
    • some people have unusual drive and/or talent; you'll occasionally see someone publish a beautiful or groundbreaking mod as their debut effort
    • it's easy to focus on such examples and feel inadequate by comparison. I would encourage you not to worry about it too much, and to accept any help that's available.
    • you'll find that tutorials simply don't exist for many important modding topics. You might be able to learn the necessary skill by talking to a veteran modder. If the modder is retired then you might be able to learn by studying or copying an existing mod.
    • for example: I started out by writing minor code patches based on @sby's work. Some of @sby's mods began as proof-of-concept projects by @ModGuy. @Mineur has shared PSD source files with several aspiring artists who wanted to imitate his technique. @dantethedarkprince's entire FLA collection is available for download.

willitfit

Potential Patron
Oh wow.... thank you SO much for all your advice! I will take everything into consideration and will see where it takes me. Thank you!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.