request: dahlia hawthorne/ sister Iris from ace attorney -Filled (1 Viewer)

Azraelswift

Potential Patron
EDIT: Filled- See post #38

has it been done? would anybody be capable of doing it since the source images aren't a clear side of the hair?

bpeJ0b2.png
alDWGMA.png
JRkJ4vM.png
XOHDZ2B.png
z7WwfEo.png

Last edited by a moderator:

PseudoRussian

Vivacious Visitor
Hi there. Your post has been moved to the "Invalid Requests" branch of the SDT Forum, for a couple of pretty obvious reasons (at least, obvious to me; I've been here a while).
Firstly, you ask
has it been done?
which makes it seem like you haven't actually looked around. That's rule number one here, you gotta search for your request to see if it's been filled by someone else before actually requesting it (otherwise you're just wasting people's time, y'know?)
Second, your reference images are quite frankly useless. What's good is that you seem to kinda get that, if not for every reason. Briefly, they're useless because:
  • you're not clear with what you want. From what you said and how you said it, it seems to me that you just want the hair; however, the artists here are very busy, and if it takes them longer than five seconds to figure out what you mean, odds are good that your request will never see the light of day.
  • they're pixel (with one exception). Don't do that. My best recommendation would be to look up fanart/concept art of your characters, and look through those for adequate shots. This leads me into the second reason the images you've supplemented which is
  • they're all frontal, reverse, or 3/4 shots. On one hand, you managed to hit every angle you don't want, so points for that. On the other, they're rendered useless because of the angle. You have to supplement side shots, meaning the character's looking directly to the side (left or right doesn't matter).
Now, one piece of advice I can give you is that it doesn't seem like your request is too hard, if it hasn't been done. I've never played ace attorney, but it looks to me like the hairs are identical except for color. What's great about this is that you can request one version of the hair, and you can mess with the hair code in the custom tab of the loader to change the shade.
If you want to redo and refine your request following these guidelines, go for it. If you want to drop a request in an artist's thread using appropriate reference shots, also go for that. However, and I can't stress this enough,
search for your request first
It's a huge waste of the mod's time when you post a request for a hair that might already exist, and it's frustrating considering there are very detailed request guides located here here and here. I recommend you at least browse each and every one of these before making another request, because at least two of them apply to the request you made here, and they're all in-depth and answer just about every question you could ever hope to ask.

Hope this helped!

Azraelswift

Potential Patron
Hi there. Your post has been moved to the "Invalid Requests" branch of the SDT Forum, for a couple of pretty obvious reasons (at least, obvious to me; I've been here a while).
Firstly, you ask

which makes it seem like you haven't actually looked around. That's rule number one here, you gotta search for your request to see if it's been filled by someone else before actually requesting it (otherwise you're just wasting people's time, y'know?)
Second, your reference images are quite frankly useless. What's good is that you seem to kinda get that, if not for every reason. Briefly, they're useless because:
  • you're not clear with what you want. From what you said and how you said it, it seems to me that you just want the hair; however, the artists here are very busy, and if it takes them longer than five seconds to figure out what you mean, odds are good that your request will never see the light of day.
  • they're pixel (with one exception). Don't do that. My best recommendation would be to look up fanart/concept art of your characters, and look through those for adequate shots. This leads me into the second reason the images you've supplemented which is
  • they're all frontal, reverse, or 3/4 shots. On one hand, you managed to hit every angle you don't want, so points for that. On the other, they're rendered useless because of the angle. You have to supplement side shots, meaning the character's looking directly to the side (left or right doesn't matter).
Now, one piece of advice I can give you is that it doesn't seem like your request is too hard, if it hasn't been done. I've never played ace attorney, but it looks to me like the hairs are identical except for color. What's great about this is that you can request one version of the hair, and you can mess with the hair code in the custom tab of the loader to change the shade.
If you want to redo and refine your request following these guidelines, go for it. If you want to drop a request in an artist's thread using appropriate reference shots, also go for that. However, and I can't stress this enough,
search for your request first
It's a huge waste of the mod's time when you post a request for a hair that might already exist, and it's frustrating considering there are very detailed request guides located here here and here. I recommend you at least browse each and every one of these before making another request, because at least two of them apply to the request you made here, and they're all in-depth and answer just about every question you could ever hope to ask.

Hope this helped!
first of: sorry for this, i know it's awful the way i've put it and i apologize.

I searched for the hair, and i didn't find anything before posting this request, but since many times i've seen png images posed in some threads without the names i had to ask, it was more politeness than ignorance: i searched over the webside, nothing appeared, and i figured it didn't exist but i wanted to ask first to the people since maybe someone has it from the "stdmods.com" of the time that got transformed into this website erasing most of the files that existed before relying on repost.
Yes, i'd like the hair only (since both are the same, it wouldn't be hard to change the colors by myself) , i thought it was implied, but next time i'll say it more clearly.
Because all the images are frontal i asked the "is it possible?" since i KNOW that there is a difficulty there, but i've seen some hairs made without even giving images, just the artist already imagining what it would look like sideways.
What i can thank you for telling me is to look at fan art, since it may be helpful and i didn't think about that before.
i already knew how to make request, i've made a few in the past and it never gave me problems, i guess i didn't think this one through

Last edited:

PseudoRussian

Vivacious Visitor
first of: sorry for this, i know it's awful the way i've put it and i apologize
Don't worry about it, it takes some getting used to. If you've ever got any more questions just consult the guides I linked.

I searched for the hair, and i didn't find anything before posting this request, but since many times i've seen png images posed in some threads without the names i had to ask,
Then you were probably looking at some of the "unnamed hairs" threads. That's good! It means you're doing more than just the bare minimum in terms of looking for your request. However, the best possible place to look is under the Archive, which is a post by Anonymous (see: the god of SDT forums).

Yes, i'd like the hair only (since both are the same, it wouldn't be hard to change the colors by myself) , i thought it was implied,
Don't assume. Makes an ass of u and whoever you're requesting the hair from. Always state what you want clearly and concisely, otherwise you're adding undue complications to a fairly simple request.

Because all the images are frontal i asked the "is it possible?" since i KNOW that there is a difficulty there,
Then don't use pictures like that. One other thing I forgot to mention is that the only non-pixel image you supplied is monochrome (black and white). Also don't do that. Even if the hair you're requesting is black, monochrome tends to put less emphasis on the detail of hair.

i've seen some hairs made without even giving images, just the artist already imagining what it would look like sideways.
I've never heard of this, but I would imagine that either the artist already knew about the character and had seen whatever it was from, or the person making the request actually sent a message to the artist containing the reference shots they wanted to use (also, don't do that unless the artist says it's cool or you're friends).

What i can thank you for telling me is to look at fan art, since it may be helpful and i didn't think about that before. i already knew how to make request, i've made a few in the past and it never gave me problems
No offense, but these are fairly contrary statements. More often than not, a good request uses really detailed fan art. This is for a lot of reasons, but mainly fan artists don't need to worry about making one image look like the next, look like the next, look like the next. Action shots are a bitch to turn into a hair file.

I'm not an artist, and I'm definitely not a mod, so you'll either want to petition a mod to make this thread viable again (unlikely, but it never hurts to politely ask), make a new thread with several reference images like the one you supplied and a clear description of what you want, or just sit on your thumbs and wait for someone else to ask for it.

Azraelswift

Potential Patron
Don't worry about it, it takes some getting used to. If you've ever got any more questions just consult the guides I linked.

Then you were probably looking at some of the "unnamed hairs" threads. That's good! It means you're doing more than just the bare minimum in terms of looking for your request. However, the best possible place to look is under the Archive, which is a post by Anonymous (see: the god of SDT forums).

Don't assume. Makes an ass of u and whoever you're requesting the hair from. Always state what you want clearly and concisely, otherwise you're adding undue complications to a fairly simple request.

Then don't use pictures like that. One other thing I forgot to mention is that the only non-pixel image you supplied is monochrome (black and white). Also don't do that. Even if the hair you're requesting is black, monochrome tends to put less emphasis on the detail of hair.

I've never heard of this, but I would imagine that either the artist already knew about the character and had seen whatever it was from, or the person making the request actually sent a message to the artist containing the reference shots they wanted to use (also, don't do that unless the artist says it's cool or you're friends).

No offense, but these are fairly contrary statements. More often than not, a good request uses really detailed fan art. This is for a lot of reasons, but mainly fan artists don't need to worry about making one image look like the next, look like the next, look like the next. Action shots are a bitch to turn into a hair file.

I'm not an artist, and I'm definitely not a mod, so you'll either want to petition a mod to make this thread viable again (unlikely, but it never hurts to politely ask), make a new thread with several reference images like the one you supplied and a clear description of what you want, or just sit on your thumbs and wait for someone else to ask for it.
well, thank you a lot, this will improve possible future requests of mine, and you helped.
Again, i'm sorry for wasting your time and i'll take all the advices you gave to me.

Azraelswift

Potential Patron
so, i requested this some time ago, but it was an invalid request due to my lack of information, so i'm making this request again, now doing it right.

I'd like to request a static or dynamic hairstyle of Dhalia Hawthorne or Sister Iris from the saga Ace Attorney (to be exact from the game Ace attorney: Trials and tribulations), since they have the same hairstyle and the only thing that changes are the color i think only one is in need, the other is easily modifiable.

here's some reference:

2Ztr3tu.jpg

yZJFPIK.jpg

Rtsrb3N.png

Last edited by a moderator:

stuntcock

Content Creator
so i'm making this request again, now doing it right.
Cleaning up your thread is an admirable goal, but please remember to follow the Request Rules.

I'd like to request a static or dynamic hairstyle
Artists may be reluctant to draw a static hairstyle if they expect that their work could be "one-upped" by a similar dynamic hairstyle a few days later. Animating a hairstyle takes time, and if a static hairstyle is completed in the meantime (and if it seems to satisfy the requester) then the modder might get annoyed and abandon the project.

The rules specifically advise you not to do this. Please be specific about what you want.

since they have the same hairstyle and the only thing that changes are the color i think only one is in need, the other is easily modifiable.
It's fairly easy to replace colors when you have access to the source files, but there are technical complications when you're working with completed mods. If you change the brightness value of a hairstyle by >40% via the in-game HSL sliders then you'll run into problems (such as crushed blacks).

If you want the artist to deliver red and black versions of the hairstyle then please say so. If you intend to create the second variant on your own then that's fine, but you should probably ask for a PNG file instead of a SWF. If you expect the artist to publish their source files at the conclusion of the project then please say so up-front (because some people prefer to keep their source files private).

some reference:
Please don't attach reference images. I've moved the files to imgur.

Your first image shows good composition despite being too small to use. I've replaced it with a medium-sized version, but some of the details are still blurry. Please post the fullsize version if possible.

Azraelswift

Potential Patron
thank you a lot!
Cleaning up your thread is an admirable goal, but please remember to follow the Request Rules.

Artists may be reluctant to draw a static hairstyle if they expect that their work could be "one-upped" by a similar dynamic hairstyle a few days later. Animating a hairstyle takes time, and if a static hairstyle is completed in the meantime (and if it seems to satisfy the requester) then the modder might get annoyed and abandon the project.

The rules specifically advise you not to do this. Please be specific about what you want.

It's fairly easy to replace colors when you have access to the source files, but there are technical complications when you're working with completed mods. If you change the brightness value of a hairstyle by >40% via the in-game HSL sliders then you'll run into problems (such as crushed blacks).

If you want the artist to deliver red and black versions of the hairstyle then please say so. If you intend to create the second variant on your own then that's fine, but you should probably ask for a PNG file instead of a SWF. If you expect the artist to publish their source files at the conclusion of the project then please say so up-front (because some people prefer to keep their source files private).

Please don't attach reference images. I've moved the files to imgur.

Your first image shows good composition despite being too small to use. I've replaced it with a medium-sized version, but some of the details are still blurry. Please post the fullsize version if possible.

here is the same image with better resolution:
http://68.media.tumblr.com/c05c430904a476e8192407954377f82b/tumblr_n7050nfbBx1tbcwyro1_1280.jpg

static hair of Dahlia Hawthorne (the redhead) would be fine.

K

kirbyfan54

I'd like to request static hairstyles of Dahlia Hawthorne and Sister Iris from Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations. The two are twins with have completely identical hairstyles. The only difference is one is red (Dahlia) and the other is black (Iris).

I've downloaded the archive, and while it has pretty much every other Ace Attorney girl (including some of the really obscure ones), the supervillain is missing! I saw another request thread here quite some months ago, but nothing came of it so I found some more reference images and here we are. I've been wanting this for such a long time now, you'd really make my day (and probably every other Ace Attorney fans's days too)!

I uploaded the images to imgur here: Dahlia Hawthorne/Sister Iris (Ace Attorney) .
Thank you very much for even considering this!

SyntaxTerror

Content Creator

hak

Potential Patron
So, guys, I have found reference images. None of them have a particularly great quality, and hair is not shown fully because of umbrella and dress and whatever else, but if I can't take it by quality, I'll take it by quantity. I added pictures in png to make sure that none details are lost, considering that plenty of them were already lost, and quality is not that great. So here are the ones which I thought were most fitting, the best of them in term of reference, sadly, are basically background images. And here are all of them, made plenty of in-motion (frames) screenshots (or whatever they are called), because there may be parts of hair, which are not shown on one of them, but shown on others, or quality may be better, etc. This one may take a long time to load, as all pictures are in png, which means 3 and more MBs for each picture. I want static hair, please.

Okay, I created a new album. So here is all of those background pictures which fit, probably even very good, besides parts of hairs, which are still not seen, because of dress and umbrella, but they are too little, and quality is not good.

Also cleared up the frames from the full one, which I though were basically the same (very little difference, to me at least) and added to new album.

Added all pictures as jpg, as it is way too slow to browse through png

Last edited:

stuntcock

Content Creator
So, guys, I have found reference images.
Now we're dealing with pachi slots? This is supposed to be a family-friendly website, not some den of EROTIC VIOLENCE :)

Seriously, though: this is a very impressive effort. The scenes themselves look pretty good and there are a few profile shots. If you can find a ripped copy of the video files then we'd be certainly be able to use them. But the quality of the photographs is limited: by glass reflection, by lighting uneven lighting, by obstructions within the cabinet, by the camera's limited resolution, by the shaky handheld shot, by image compression, etc. I definitely won't be able to trace anything useful from them, and I doubt that you'd be able to obtain traceable images without doing something crazy (such as "dismantle the cabinet" and "setup a tripod"). These images show enough detail that an artist could probably draw a new side-view image, but there was already enough reference material available for any artist who wanted to do that (and thus far, none have volunteered to do so).

I can find a few preview/trailer videos on Youtube involving the Phoenix Wright pachi stuff, but none of them show the Hawthorne character. I'm not certain that I'm even looking at the correct title; I know very little about Phoenix Wright and even less about the original Japanese series. If you speak Japanese then you might be able to find additional material on Niconico or similar sites. Super Bunnyhop was able to include some high-quality footage in his MGS3 pachislot video, but he probably just used clips from promotional material.

hak

Potential Patron
Ok, man, thanks a lot, I've actually downloaded a recording of pachinko video and made screenshots in png (besides that last album, there I compressed png screenshots I made into jpg) out of it. I can send a link to a pachinko video, here -

It starts from 8:00, and ends in 10:40.

I may also cut a video losslessly, leaving only the segment with Dahlia, and upload it somewhere. But I don't think it will help, as the quality is still the same. I asked an uploader to send me the original vid, footage from the camera, but he is japanese, I am not sure if he speaks English. I know one person who speaks japanese, though, so I may ask him to come up with a better request on japanese. And the lightning, glass reflection, etc will still be there, only less quality will be lost because of the stuff YouTube does during the additional compression. I know a person who both lives in Japan and speaks in japanese, but that's about it, he is more than likely not a fan of Ace Attorney, so he won't film a Pachinko slot, just because I ask him to do that. I am not sure if anyone even has the actual footage, used in Pachinko slot, besides whoever created it, and Pachinko slot owners.

I believe Dahlia didn't appear in any trailers, sadly. I checked on nicodouga, but there are mostly the camera recording of the same stuff, only in a worse quality.

That being said, sprites were already posted here. How about HD sprites?

Here is one -
E7Rgb5Y.png

Last edited:

XenMon2

Potential Patron
Last edited:

hak

Potential Patron
If you're looking at game sprites, the art book has drawings of all the character poses:

http://www.court-records.net/arts/artbook/artofgs-119.jpg

Not much there though, since Dahlia always faces the camera. The uploader also seems to have only scanned one page, so it may be worth digging around for others.

There's also a silhouetted side mugshot of her:
https://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.ne...houette.png/revision/latest?cb=20160308050106
Yeah, I've wanted to post it as well. I've found only this one on other sites as well, no other ones with Dahlia. I may post them on imgur as well. In fact, here - Dahlia (Art of Gyakuten Saiban) The last one is the largest one.

Well, considering 3ds sprites are so damn small, I downloaded an IOS version of a game, which has higher resolution of sprites. Here are them, or more like it - Dahlia Hawthorne (HD IOS Sprites) The second sprite was made by me with combining the first sprite with an other part which was on a sprite sheet (?) I don't know if Capcom was lazy, or if it is a requirement for an IOS game, but instead of an actual proper set of sprites, like it was with GBA, DS and 3DS, there is only one with a few parts set to make it look different Oo

Last edited:

hak

Potential Patron
Folks, you are wasting effort posting pictures that are not a side profile. Here is what is needed.
ImageBam
All of this is fuilly explained in the reference shot guide and rules.
Very respectfully,
fleet (global moderator)
Sadly, the ones which were good I already posted there - Dahlia Hawthorne 3 But they are way too small, because of Dahlia basically being in background. It is also a recording of pachinko video, with uneven lighting, glass reflection, etc, as was pointed out by stuntcock, and it was further compressed by YouTube. Other than that I don't have any good side-view images, I actually have some fan-arts, but they look bad, and don't fit by other criterias.

One more image here which is from the same artist which has drawn twins. (from the 7th post) - Dahlia Hawthorne 8

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.