1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nishino Tsukasa (Ichigo 100%)

Discussion in 'Invalid Requests' started by DarkVirgil, Oct 3, 2015.

1. DarkVirgil

DarkVirgil Potential Patron

2. stuntcock

stuntcock Club Regular Staff Member Moderator

Re: Nishino Tsukasa

Please read the rules. Reference images should be uploaded to an offsite imagehost and then included via BBCode. The attachment feature is intended for "content" files such as finished PNG hairstyles and SWF imports.

It's also a good idea to include the series name (or video game title or whatever) within your subject line, in addition to the name of the character you're requesting. That's not an actual rule but it helps to make the forum a bit more readable.

Good find, but it's not a perfect match for the visual style of SDT. The light source in the reference image is "behind" the head, leaving the face shadowed (which doesn't match the implied lighting of the SDT body). The color saturation also seems a bit off, possibly due to the nighttime lighting effect.

The image is also very highly detailed; it would take a long time to trace. You may have trouble finding a modder who's willing to put in so much effort for a decade-old series.

A chunk of the hairstyle is out of frame and would need to be redrawn by hand.

Wikipedia says that there's a whole bunch of anime episodes and OVAs. It might be worthwhile to rewatch a few of those and try to get screencaps showing clean profile views.

Alternatively - if you're willing to trace the reference image yourself (and sketch in the missing section) then an SDT modder could fit it onto the SDT head template and publish it as a usable SWF import. The hairstyle would still exhibit its skewed lighting angle, but if you're not bothered by it then that's fine.

3. DarkVirgil

fixed (I think).

Added some more images, is the last image link more convenient/easier for artists?

4. stuntcock

That depends ... do you want the hairstyle to be black and white? No? Well then why would you post black and white reference images!? :P

This one: http://postimg.org/image/ldqpbz4zl/9d8cc9f7/ is in color, but it's unusable. The image is tiny (180px), the background is noisy, the shading is wrong, and the camera angle is incorrect.

Please refer to my previous post. Don't just rely on a Google image search; look for alternate sources. Here's a quick example of a side-view that I was able to find in two minutes on Youtube. Heres another. There are not good references because the hairstyle is partially cropped out of frame and the video is heavily compressed -- but you could probably find good shots if you scan through a DVD copy of the OVA. Here's a third - the entire hairstyle is visible, but the resolution is much too low (again - DVD quality might salvage it).

Similarly, thirty seconds on an imageboard yields a pair of flawed-but-almost-usable images. The first one is bad because it has too few lines; too much gradient shading; the colors are somewhat muddy and desaturated, the second suffers from low resolution; weird head/neck shape; it has decent lines though.

If you like one of those images and you're willing to vector-trace it, then I could fit your vectors onto the SDT template and provide a SWF file. If you're not willing to do any tracing, then I'd suggest that you post a few high-quality references (e.g. by scanning through DVD copies of the OVAs and taking screencaps) and then wait and see what happens.

Please remember that SDT artists and modders are volunteers. When you submit poor reference images, you're asking someone to work harder in order to compensate for your lack of effort. We can forgive this when it's done out of ignorance rather than malice. But please don't make it a habit.

5. DarkVirgil

I don't know what's easy for the artists and what's not which is why I asked whether that black and white picture would be convenient/easier for the artists. cause I'll do the coloring, I just don't know how to do the tracing.
    I'm really trying to give the minimal work possible to do the artist cause I understand it's completely volunteer work.
    so is it more convenient/easier to do that last image?

just in case it's not, i'll post a few more side images which has decent lines/color (to my understanding).

http://postimg.org/image/kgbv9wm8h/

http://postimg.org/image/apw3h950p/

6. stuntcock

Look at the sample images in the Reference Shot Guide.

[list type=decimal]
    [*]Install a vector-graphics editor (such as Inkscape).
    [*]Import your reference image onto the canvas.
    [*]"Trace" each line in the reference image by drawing an anchor point (aka vertex, if you're familiar with 3d modeling) wherever the line makes a sharp turn.
    [*]Adjust the tangent lines so that the lines connecting your anchor points turn into smooth curves which match those of the underlying reference image.
    [*]If you've done everything correctly, you now have a "wireframe" version of the hairstyle (example).
    [*]Use the paint-bucket tool to fill in each separate zone with the appropriate color (yellow for main fill, white for highlights, dark orange for shadows, etc).
    [*]Upload the completed SVG file.
    [*]SDT modders can import your SVG file into Flash and stretch the various parts to fit the SDT head template.
    • This is where the "vector" nature of the graphics is important, because we can independently stretch and rotate various parts without degrading the visual quality of the hairstyle (no JPEG artifacts or aliasing!)
    [*]If the vector-tracing was done with multiple layers, then the SDT modder might attempt to animate the hairstyle. In most cases, it will be published in the simpler "static" SWF format.
    [/list]

If you're going to do the tracing work - and you're willing to draw in the highlights and shadows by hand - then you can start with whichever image you like.

If you're hoping that someone else will trace the image (and/or create a new PNG hairstyle), then you should adhere to the Reference Shot Guide. In that case, monochrome images would not be okay.

I think that the aspect ratio is incorrect; the image appears to be very wide.

We can correct for aspect-ratio problems, but the image is already somewhat small and such adjustment would make it even smaller+grainier.

The composition of this image is better, but it's very small. It also shows a lot of shadowing (perhaps to mirror the character's shyness or embarassment?). ~50% of the hair is shadowed, compared to ~30% for a typical SDT hairstyle.