stuntcock

Content Creator
Note sure if this is possible without Loader, either way +1.
The mod is technically feasible; the technique has been demonstrated by Faceless.

Irises in SDT are seen edge-on. The reference images provided here are all face-on. If an MLP fan can find an edge-on reference image (and preferably trace it) then the mod could be completed without much difficulty.

Irises in SDT are seen edge-on. We can apply trapezoidal deformation and masking to convert a face-on view into a reasonable edge-on view. If an MLP fan can trace the reference image (or find an eye among already-vectorized MLP resources) then the mod could be completed without much difficulty.

In such a case, I might even ask the veteran modders to leave it alone so that we could use it as an introductory project for a novice modder. Depending on your interests, we could focus on either the visuals (perspective, glare layers, gradients, RGB shifting) or the code-injection stuff (Loader scripting, interaction with vanilla assets and GUI elements, inter-mod compatibility).

Last edited:

Faceless

Content Creator
Actually, that would be counterproductive. The iris graphic is in fact face-on. It's simply under some transformation and masking effects.

Hell, here's an iris template. Just make your changes to the "iris" Graphic and you're set for a basic iris mod. You'd still need to figure out all the other bells and whistles like animation, coloring, and whatnot yourself, though.

Attachments

iris template.fla
14.7 KB · Views: 158

Last edited:

stuntcock

Content Creator
Actually, that would be counterproductive. The iris graphic is in fact face-on. It's simply under some transformation and masking effects.
Oops. Faceless is correct, of course. The vanilla iris assets exhibit edge-view perspective, but modding projects can use face-view shots (due to abundance of reference material, or ease of editing) and then distort the vectors until the perspective looks reasonable. In fact, that's probably what Konashion did when creating the vanilla assets. I've edited my previous post.

We could use better reference images. The eyes that we have are partially obscured by eyelids. It may even be possible to find MLP stuff that's already vectorized, which would reduce the modding workload.

I still think that this would be a good project for a novice modder. Feel free to contact me (or reply to the thread) if you'd like to walk through this project collaboratively. Please note that you will need Flash software, but a trial license will suffice. For the sake of efficiency, please familiarize yourself with the basic tools and concepts in advance. Download the SDTMod.fla template, read through a few tutorials, sort out the source files and subfolders so that you can generate SWF output files, and then scribble all over the ExampleMod.fla until you figure out how to make your custom shapes appear in-game.

The purpose of a walkthrough is to tackle material which involves non-obvious graphical interactions, the coding esoterica of SDT and the Loader, or clever time-saving tips and tricks from a veteran modder. I wouldn't want to spend time answering a lot of basic questions like "why are there semicolons everywhere?" or "what's a Symbol?" or "how do I add a Layer?"

Faceless Faceless - let me know if you'd like to offer mentorship support for this project (or any Loader Request projects which you think might be appropriate for a novice)

Faceless

Content Creator
stuntcock stuntcock
Sure, I guess. I'm certainly willing to give it a shot, although we'll see whether or not I'm actually cut out to be a constructive mentor. But I'm going to declare right off the bat that familiarity with programming (in any language) is a prerequisite. I'm not getting paid to teach Computer Science 101 here, nor do I want to be. If you're interested but don't know the first thing about coding, please at least view some ActionScript tutorials (there are no shortage of them on the internet). Seriously, pretty much the entirety of my ActionScript experience (aside from a toy benchmarking program I did once for a school assignment) has been with SDT, and I'm not alone in that. It's simply a matter of putting forth the effort to learn.

Ideally, some familiarity with graphics programs like Photoshop or GIMP would be nice too, but the drawing part is more readily intuitive (if less easy to master for those of us who aren't artistically inclined) so it's not a requirement.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.