1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Magnolia Arch (Bravely Second)

Discussion in 'Invalid Requests' started by pantsu1, May 5, 2016.

1. pantsu1

pantsu1 Vivacious Visitor

Hello all, I'm hoping to acquire hair for Magnolia Arch from Bravely Second (and possibly her outfit as well, though that is much less important to me). Hopefully these references will do (it is unfortunately difficult to find side views of her) [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] (first 5 are her in her default costume)
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Thank you in advance if these references are workable with, if they are not then my apologies for wasting time.

Last edited: May 6, 2016
  2. pantsu1

Edited to be the images instead of hotlinking, hopefully this is a valid request now

3. stuntcock

stuntcock Club Regular Staff Member Moderator

These images are all hotlinked. They're more convenient for the viewer than a collection of hyperlinks, but the preferred approach is to rehost your images on a dedicated service (such as imgur or postimage).

Don't bother rehosting these files, though, because none of them are usable reference images.

Imagine that you spent a few minutes cropping out the hair shapes from one of your pictures (recent example). Now take your imaginary hairstyle and splice it into an imaginary SDT screenshot. Does it blend in? Does it seem to belong in the scene?

sdt-bravelySecond-magnolia.jpg

If the answer is "no" then it's not a usable reference image. It's fairly easy to correct for minor differences in brightness or color saturation ... but the image above can't be fixed in MSPaint. It needs an actual artist - to fill in details which are simply absent (because the initial image wasn't a proper side-view), tinker with the white balance, fit the hair shape around the girl's shoulder, and adapt the overall visual style to fit into SDT. We have few active artists. The most reliable course of action is to find a great reference image so that your project doesn't require artistic talent.

In general, video game screenshots aren't good reference material. That doesn't mean that video game characters are off-limits. We have LOTS of video game hairstyles. It means that you should look for secondary sources - such as fanart, promotional art, a spin-off OVA series, merchandise, artbooks, etc.

4. pantsu1

Thats what I figured might have been the case. Whelp, would you be willing to delete this thread for me then (I looked to find a way to delete it but couldn't find one on mobile)?

5. stuntcock

stuntcock Club Regular Staff Member Moderator

No, I won't.

Someone else might be interested in this character in the future, and it's easier for them to just revive an existing thread (by adding new images) instead of creating one from scratch (and possibly repeating the same mistakes). Here's a thread which was dormant for several years, but was then revived and completed.

In its current state, your thread requires a talented artist rather than a mere Flash modder -- but an artist who loves Bravely Second might join the Undertow forum tomorrow and enthusiastically agree to work on your request. Or some dude on Pixiv might create a perfect piece of side-view Magnolia Arch fanart next week, which you could then post in this thread.

Being the OP of an "Invalid Request" thread isn't an indictment of you; it doesn't mean that modders will scorn you or refuse to help you. It just means that this particular proposal isn't ready for modding ... yet.

------------​

I created this sub-board mainly for selfish reasons. I would occasionally feel the urge to do an hour's worth of vector-tracing and fulfill a request. But this would always involve wading through dozens of shitty low-effort Request threads. By the time that I actually found something feasible, I'd be upset at the laziness and ingratitude of forum members. And so I'd usually just give up on the whole idea and play video games instead.

There's a symmetrical problem as well:

Some enthusiastic newbie would sign up and create a thread on his first day asking for his favorite character. But he probably didn't bother to read the rules, so he submitted a bunch of useless images. And then he gets no responses, because people generally didn't bother replying to the newb threads ("why waste the effort? If the guy was capable of reading and learning, then he would have read the rules!"). He can see ongoing discussion and new mods being created, but there's no progress on his own project. And so he assumes that the community is an "old boys club" and that the modders are elitist jerks. Instead of fixing the errors in his request thread, he just leaves the community in disgust at how badly he's been treated.

------------​

Putting the "immediately actionable" stuff in a separate pile allows modders to focus their attention on it. And if someone's thread gets tossed into the other pile, then they'll hopefully understand that "it needs work" instead of "we're deliberately ignoring it as an act of spite."