Kriegmar Open Discussion Thread

Baku|Haku

Casual Client
I have voted as well....
I don't know any of those NPC but Mirevina since I saw her in the chat.

Idoro

Fully Functional
Staff member
Ryonani Teamster
Looks like Mirevina took a strong lead in the poll. Also, as of this post, the BoK party's been cut down from 6 to 5 people. I'll be making a response in the main thread soon!

thesteedman

Ryonani Teamster
oo! Didn't see this come up sorry! Very much still interested in BoK and really enjoying it!

Marcomax

Vivacious Visitor
Hey guys. I just wanted to apologize for not posting as frequently as I should have. I completely missed the deadline Idoro gave for a post and as a result have been cut from the RP. Even before that I've been playing fast and loose with the 4 day limit for posting. I enjoyed playing with you guys and if I get the chance I'd love to rejoin the game. For now I'm fine with waiting.

Last edited:

Idoro

Fully Functional
Staff member
Ryonani Teamster
Alright, well it seems unlikely we'll get any more votes in the poll, though I'll allow a few mores days or so for anyone to catch up in case they missed it. Mirevina's leading by a pretty large margin though so I think it's safe to say we have our winner!

Idoro

Fully Functional
Staff member
Ryonani Teamster
Alright ladies and gentlemen, here is the mysterious and very blue Mirevina in all of her full-body glory...

This particular pose and expression is from when Madelyn walked up to her cell in the West Keep and offered to release her from her prison. Just how long was she waiting there however, is unknown. But you can bet it wasn't just a few years..

Mirevina in her own words is not undead, but a 'cursed knight' whose sould has been ripped from her body. She remarks that she never truly died, so that she cannot be undead when she never died in the first place!

Tragically, that would change in one of the more recent encounters in BoK. And despite Madelyn's attempts to revive her, the dark magics seeped deep within Mirevina's body prevented Madelyn's holy magic from working. It would appear as if Mirevina's story has come to an end.

Hope you all like the art, I'll be back soon to post the next poll which will be focused on the enemies encountered so far.

Idoro

Fully Functional
Staff member
Ryonani Teamster
Hey all! Right now I'm finally writing out a ruleset for the Kriegmar universe. I just finished writing up a history of Gridenia if anyone is interested in reading the excerpt. Here it is!

HOLY GRIDENIAN EMPIRE

Encompassing the entirety of the western portion of Kriegmar, the Gridenian Empire came to power in 952 A.D. when the feared warlord Dragone Gridenia united the conquered nations of the west under his banner. Dragone's territory when he had inherited the land from his father Andulfos had originally only consisted of the 5 nations surrounding the Lake of the Star (So-named for the star-shape the nations around it created.)

Legend claims that on one fateful night whilst on a hunting trip with his colleagues and friends at lake's edge, Dragone was visited by an emissary of the goddess Lissa who revealed to him his great destiny of conquering the land and creating an empire in his name. Shortly after this episode, his father passed away due to illness, and at the tender age of 25, he inherited the throne. After gathering his armies from around the Star Nations, he led a prolonged war for the next 14 years that plunged the peaceful Western Kingdoms into chaos and ravaged the land. No one was safe from his invasions, and his men killed without prejudice- man, elf, orc, and dwarf alike were all seen as enemies to the Gridenians if they did not bend their knee to the nation's banner.

And so in 950, the northern High Elf nations of Birthvale and Nople came under Dragone's grasp, and he finally consolidated his gains. Two years later, Dragone crowned himself First Emperor of the Holy Gridenian Empire, ending a decade and a half of conflict and strife. Though the people were at first fearful of their new emperor, the former warlord immediately began a process of rebuilding and recovery for the weary nations, sparing no expense and promising those who helped to rebuild a 'warm bed and warm meal' for those who worked to fix the situation in the budding empire.

The process lasted 20 or so years after which the people of the empire began to appreciate their new emperor for his fair treatment and governance. Dragone himself was once quoted as saying, "Though only humans are meant to rule, all are fit to serve. I will turn a blind eye to those with pointed ear or sharp teeth- for if they raise hammer or sword in the name of the Empire, they are deserving of my protection and recognition." This sort of treatment, which was uncommon at the time (and still is) for human dictators led to an increased sense of loyalty to the Empire, which promised safety to all citizens if they followed the laws of the land, regardless of race or color.

In the waning days of his rule however, Dragone was unable to attend to all facets of his rule as more and more duties passed on to his confidants and aides. The past 20 years has been harder for the non-human races of Gridenia due to the slowly changes practices and laws in the Kingdom. Elves, orcs and dwarves are hardly seen within most major cities nowadays, and only humans hold onto ranks and titles which grant them dominion. Dragone was not oblivious to these circumstances, however. And in his waning days, he would in confidence tell his young son of what was happening around the Empire, and what must be done to fix it when he took the crown. Finally, in 1010 A.D., Dragone abdictated the throne to his eldest son, Dragone II.

Dragone II, looks up to his father as a living deity and to this day closely listens to his father's advice and counsel above all others. Dragone II differs from his father's views slightly as he believes that a person's worth should not be judged by his family name or nobility, but by their actions in times of need. The most recent conflict that has emerged between Gridenia and Vendaria is now the perfect time for Dragone II to see who is worthy of their position, and who should be replaced.

The Gridenia of today is still a mostly fair nation to most races, but the lingering air of human prejudice is present. While not overt, most guards and citizens in larger cities may act with terseness towards non-human races and as a result, non-human races are less commonly seen in Gridenia than they were in decades past. Laws in the early stages of the kingdom were skewed very much to aid the common people in their time of need, but now many of those laws were replaced with typical doctrine favoring those in power. And while his rule is still fair, Dragone II does not appeal to the common people like the rule of his father did in years past.

Humans populate the majority of Gridenia, while dwarves are a distant second. Smaller still are the scattered populations of wood elves and even fewer than that are the displaced high elves who fled to all corners of the continent when their homelands were conquered. Native tribes of orcs litter the land as well, and there have been sightings of dark elves as well. All other races seen in Gridenia are not native, and have come from other lands and kingdoms.

Idoro

Fully Functional
Staff member
Ryonani Teamster
Hey everyone. I know it's been a long time since I last posted in BoK, and there's a reason for that.

I suppose I should preface this announcement by stating that I could sense this was coming and creeping up on me for a while now, and I thought I could stave it off. But a recent power outage caused me lose a good deal of the large post I was working on and now that I have to start all over again, I have been giving this some serious thought. And I've had plenty of time to do so.

I'm going to stop working on BoK. Not forever in a sense that I'm quitting it for good or anything, but my interest for it has waned while my interest in starting other projects has only been on the rise.

I guess I feel like I can't devote any time or passion to getting everything done. My motivation to do so was very low even when working on the post, and after the post was lost I feel the tank fell to empty. I guess I sort of felt a dedication to keep the thread going even when it lost all of its members a year or so ago, and now I just don't have the sort of attachment to the thread or the characters as I used to. I know full and well now the hardships a GM faces when not only running a campaign that's been going on for half a decade, but also one that's constantly having to supply new members.

And while my interest in ryona itself has not wavered for all these years, I will admit that BoK has unwittingly been a ball and chain for me, despite how much I enjoyed doing it for all this time. I guess this was only a matter of time for me to not enjoy it, and the event described above was the straw that broke the camel's back.

To everyone who has participated in BoK, you have my thanks for making the game enjoyable. To those who are currently in the game itself, I sincerely apologize for not seeing this through to the end. Now even though this isn't the end for the thread itself, I'm not going to dangle the continuation of the thread in front of everyone like some sort of prize and expect you all to show back up whenever my interest heats up again. If you want to stick around and wait for it to pick back up, which it may... you are free to do so. But other than that, I won't be expecting anyone to wait.

But yeah... to summarize it all, I'm not going to be continuing BoK for now. Maybe not ever. To those who want to keep playing I apologize, but I just don't have it in me to continue anymore. The game MAY pick back up eventually, but there's no telling when that may be, or even if that may be. No one is going to be beholden to coming back if that happens. So yeah.

Almost made it to 5 years.. amazing! I'm surprised I kept it going that long. I remember the first few months like it was yesterday, man we had so much fun. I guess a part of me was wishing that those times would come back but they never did. Chasing the dragon.

puca

Swell Supporter
BoK always seemed like such a cool idea. I've been impressed by the players and the art and just the overall quality of the whole thing. It's felt like such a neat constant here. And while I've never participated myself, I'll be sad to see it go regardless.

Burning out on something you love always kind of sucks. I hope your passion reignites some time in the future Idoro, but until then, best wishes on your next creative endeavours!

TheCrimsonRisk

Ryonani Teamster
Idoro Idoro

I have no idea how you kept this up as long as you did with juggling the personalities and motivations of what seemed like two dozen PCs and NPCs at any given moment. And that's not even mentioning all the artwork and assets that you had to produce. Regardless of how it's ending, I feel like this is a project you can be truly proud of and I was happy to have been able to share the experience with you.

And don't feel too bad about the abrupt end. It takes a lot of strength to walk away from something when you've become attached to it whether it's due to passion or addiction or obligation and I think you'll find yourself a lot happier in the long run especially once you move on to other things. I know whatever comes next will be great.

Baku|Haku

Casual Client
I just want to suggest maybe someone like Unrelated could be the Dm. Just a suggestion. SInce it's a good place to take the story on another place.

Marcomax

Vivacious Visitor
I just wanted to say thank you for running BoK. It's what originally got me interested in doing forum RPs. I know that feeling of burnout that can come with running a game. I'm sorry if my late posting put any more stress on you. If you ever come back to this one or start any new RPs, count me in. Until then, just do relax and take the time to do what you enjoy.

thesteedman

Ryonani Teamster
I have to say I have really enjoyed my time with BoK and I do hope this isn't really the end and that one day it does return be it in a few weeks or a few years. Thank you very much for a letting me join it Idoro, though I only had a short time with the awesome cast of characters it was a full time and I really enjoyed getting to know the world of BoK and working with other members and their amazing characters in this magnificent creation of yours.

I can understand motivation can be a daunting thing, especially on such a project as grand and long running as this. Take all the time you need and work on things that you want to and have more desire to. Should the muse and passion for BoK return, I'll be ready to rejoin with Faith if you'll have me :) Thank you once again for allowing me to join, I have grown fond of my character Faith and she never would have existed if it wasn't for you and your own creations. You've done a fantastic job through all these years and I'm sure you will continue to do so in other projects :D

I'll catch ye on the chat sometime when things calm down on my side :)

Top Bottom