1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kriegmar Open Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Roleplay' started by Idoro, Feb 6, 2016.

1. Idoro

Idoro Fully Functional Staff Member Moderator

Hey all! Since groups no longer exist (and went mostly unused anyway), I decided that I should probably create a new place to discuss Blades of Kriegmar outside of the main thread itself since that's reserved for RP purposes.

This thread doesn't really have any rules attached to it other than Undertow's own rules and regulations, so play nice. But other than that, feel free to discuss or ask questions related to BoK to your heart's content. In particular, feel free to ask me anything you want pertaining to the roleplay and I'll answer to the best of my ability.

[​IMG]

2. Unrelated

Unrelated Club Regular Ryonani Teamster

I am commandeering this post to use for party inventory!

Gold: 9187

[​IMG] Ranger Bow - In Felandren's Possession
    [​IMG] Heatkiller - In Alchana's Possession
    [​IMG] Control Wand - In Alchana's Possession
    [​IMG] Sneaking Away - The Great Eel's Guide to Banditry - Being read by Alchana

[​IMG] 1x Skill Orb
    [​IMG] 1x Petrification Serum
    [​IMG] 9x Thin Potion
    [​IMG] 1x Courage Fruit
    [​IMG] 1x Transmorphic Goo Vial
    [​IMG] 1x Shodren Pepper
    [​IMG] 1x Pinkanita Cap
    [​IMG] 1x Muscipula Blossom
    [​IMG] 1x Friado Wine
    [​IMG] 1x Attack Charm
    [​IMG] 1x Weak Magic Resistance Potion

Spell Tome: Flame Hammer
    Mistress' Bindings
    Shadow Acolyte's Eyewrap
    Vision of Chila'nazzil
    Gemar and Usus, Twinblades of the Cackling Deeps
    Intact Altar Tablet

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
    Sickerton and Idoro like this.
  3. Sickerton

Sickerton Casual Client Content Creator

I'm re-skimming the BoK thread proper to refresh on the rules, and since I'm doing it anyway I might as well slap it down in a condensed form for everyone's ease-of access. Incoming dumps!

To start with the very basics, let's examine the grid system. Every "map" is divided into squares/tiles, and each square has both a number and letter designation. Anyone who has played Battleship or something like it should be familiar with this setup, but just in case someone hasn't let's use the very first starting area as an example.

[​IMG]

See how numbers go across the bottom, and letters line the left? There are used in combination to name individual squares, based on where they intersect with the two. For example, the shopkeep with an eyepatch is at J3 because he is occupying the space that you would reach going straight from J and 3. His kid is occupying J4, being just one more square over on the number line. Using this method, you can easily get across your actions and collaborate with teammates. If you wanted everyone to surround the "uppermost" guard across the way you would refer to him as the one in D9 and everyone would immediately know which out of the otherwise identical mooks you mean. Likewise, if you just wanted to chat up the village girl with red hair you would announce that you're moving to any square next to B4 (But not B4 itself, as she is occupying that space and you'd either be pushing her over or making physicists cry).

Remember to wrap your movement announcement in parentheses to denote it being an OOC (Out Of Character) action. If you go

(I move to B3)
    Then you've told the DM that you want your character to go to B3 and will be moved accordingly. But if you go

I move to B3
    Then your character just thought about going to the mystical far off land of Bae-thrae. And that will rarely be a useful option.

[​IMG]
    "Think of lines in parentheses at the ends of posts like asides you would say to other players, if you physically got to sit down with them for a game of D&D. Except with less squabbling over who's paying for the pizza."

With that out of the way let's go into the two different modes: Exploration and Combat.

Exploration mode is the mode used when nothing is actively attempting to bash your thick adventuring head in. While in exploration mode restrictions are somewhat lax; you can freely travel across the entire "map" in a turn (as long as nothing is actively prohibiting you) and player turn order doesn't really matter. There are some things to keep in mind, though:

• Not all squares/tiles are created equal. Unless you're particularly acrobatic, you should probably not stand on statues. Unless you are particularly on fire, you should probably not stand in streams or fountains.
    • It is possible to be blocked access to areas by terrain, objects, or putzes lounging around in doorways. Make sure that there is a feasible path from the square you are currently in to the one you wish to be in before declaring a movement.
    • Once per post/"action" you may investigate an object or talk to an NPC/Player. Since you will need feedback from the DM to find out the resulting information or reactions, you will have to wait for his responding post before doing more with NPCs or objects. You can freely talk back and forth with another player at your own leisure, however.
      • Special Note: Having grown up in the BoK-verse instead of just looking in from the outside, your character probably knows more about it than you do. Do not be afraid to use knowledge checks on things or topics that you think your character might be better acquainted with. Hey, you might learn something useful.

Also are of note are special font colors you may likely encounter during Exploration Mode.

DM Notes Are usually in yellow. These are usually reminders about mechanics, stat stuff like money left, or other miscellaneous but important things the DM would like you to be aware of.

Threats/Provocations are in orange. If a character starts speaking in this color, they are technically neutral but are thinking about starting a fight with you. If you wish to avoid this you will have to stop doing whatever it is that is provoking him/her immediately; examine the lines that have been colored carefully to figure out what that is exactly.
    However, if a creature/character's name is orange that means that they are neutral. These characters don't really care about you one way or the other, and will typically leave you alone (even in combat situations) unless you give them a reason not to.

Red, unsurprisingly, means hostility. Characters that end their dialogue in red have decided to attack and will immediately start combat. Creatures/characters with red names are hostile, and will attack you on sight. And if the name of an area is red, that means hostile enemies are lurking somewhere on the current map

[​IMG]
    "The colors are like street signs! Yellow means pay attention, orange is for temporary warnings, and red is the color of the asphalt when you ignore the orange signs."

Combat/Battle/Smashy-Bashy mode is the mode used for... well, combat. Since things are going to get messy in this mode, it has several new restrictions.

For starters, characters now have a per-turn movement limit. Specifically, five squares. What does that mean, exactly? Please examine the following:

[​IMG]
    If your character was the shadow person in the middle there, then the maximum that he/she could travel is from the center to the edge of this picture. Note that I said maximum; as in, if you go in a straight line with no obstructions. If you have to, say round a corner to get where you want to be...
    [​IMG]
    ...then you will have to count out each square as you go until the maximum of five.

There are exceptions to this, though:
    • Going through "difficult" terrain eats up more spaces, and thus you may stop short of the intended destination if not careful.
    • You may sacrifice your combat phase (the part of your turn where you attack or use an offensive ability) to instead move up to five spaces more; essentially doubling your travel possibilities, but dealing no damage to enemies.

Special note: Terrain is not just for show in combat mode. Besides the already mentioned "difficult terrain", pay close attention to where you're fighting and the possibilities it could bring. Water can extinguish fires. People can fall (or be forced off of) bridges. Lava is generally unpleasant to be submerged in. Taking advantage of switches, levers, pressure plates, or ritual equipment can make your fight simpler... or even more difficult. Fight smarter, not harder.

It may be useful to collaborate with other players before making moves for difficult fights. This can be achieved through OOC talk, forum private conversations, or this topic right here. The differences between victory, defeat, and defeat may hinge on who does what first when the cartwheel really hits the cobblestones.

[​IMG]
    "Back where I come from, we were taught to make the most out of all our companions. And they really, REALLY meant it. You ever stop and think about how well a jawbone would work as a hand-spade?"

Duo Attacks: Special, powerful moves created when two allies next to each other decide to simultaneously use offensive abilities. This counts as the attack phase for both characters, but the results usually make up for this. The specific combination attack created depends on the type of attack abilities used, and only attack abilities can be used to fuel Duo Attacks. The limit to Duo attacks is once per battle with every other ally. You can do multiple duo attacks per battle, but you must use a different ally each time. Cooperation and teamwork is key with Duo Attacks; the new blood, being a ragtag bunch of misfit newbies, may have a little while to go before they can really tinker with this one.

Overkill: When you defeat an enemy significantly past their remaining HP count, they are considered "Overkilled". Overkilling an enemy nets an xp bonus, but the target is probably down for good. It may be worth reconsidering overkilling enemies who's deaths may raise moral or legal complications.
    • Special Note: Player Characters can be overkilled by enemies. This does exactly what you think it would do.
    [​IMG]
    "Please be considerate of the people who have to clean the dungeons after you leave. We only have so many mops."

Stunned/Dazed: Character is dizzied, losing a turn.

Prone: Player is knocked over and rendered immobile. May require resuscitation from an ally to get back into the fight.

Knockdown: Like Stunned/Dazed, but player is also knocked prone.

Blinded: Character's eyesight is overloaded or disabled, losing a turn.

Silenced: Character loses access to magical abilities.

Cursed: Character has been cursed by a mighty evil force! Or, y'know, a slightly peeved gardener. Curses and their side effects can vary greatly in scope and power; the player will have to figure out the drawbacks and symptoms as it matures and develops. If they can eventually power through it, there may even be some type of boon at the end for them.

Poisoned: Player steadily takes damage each turn. Player can attempt to overcome the poisoning outside of battle, success is based on a random dice roll.

Frozen: Soul spirals in frozen fractals al-er, nevermind. Player is encased in ice, unable to take any action until they break free or are thawed.

Shaken/Rattled: Player will automatically fail any constitution or evasion checks until their next turn.

Paralysis: Player cannot attack or move until the condition is cured or it wears off. Player may still speak and react, but their body itself cannot move.

Feared: Player is made uneasy, cutting their damage output in half

Immobilized: Something has... well, immobilized the player, stopping them from taking any action until it has been removed.

Petrified: Character is now a statue. Not technically dead, but for the sake of a combat encounter might as well be.

Disarmed: Player loses their weapon in some way, and are restricted to their basic unarmed attack until they go retrieve it. Picking back up their weapon uses up the attack phase of their turn.

[​IMG]
    "If things go alright, you'll never get about 60% of these. If things go PERFECTLY, though, you'll find stuff that nobody even thought existed!"

Post may be subject to change as I come across more noteworthy stuff, or if someone who knows better slaps me across the head and points out something I've gotten horribly wrong.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  4. Marcomax

Marcomax Vivacious Visitor

Thanks Sickerton. I've always wanted to find the rules for the game but couldn't find where they were listed online.

5. TheCrimsonRisk

TheCrimsonRisk Club Regular Ryonani Teamster

That is a friggin' legendary post, Sickerton. Even I never knew the rules that well!

6. Idoro

[​IMG]
    "Hey that's me! See how helpful I can be when I want to be, everyone?"

[​IMG]
    "Indeed. You show much promise, Savria."

[​IMG]
    "Aww... thank you matron."

[​IMG]
    "Now... go clean your room before I whip all that promise right out of your behind with my hand."

[​IMG]
    "Erk... y-yes Matron.."

7. Big-ronso

Big-ronso Vivacious Visitor

I have a little curiosity I saw that during dellaavventra there were dropouts . but their pg ? you place, simply dismissed them ? to be precise I talk about Valerie , and Rhiannon . I ask because I have not found reading information > . <

8. Unrelated

Valerie left in-story after the Xiline temple, because Weiss Ritter left the game at that point.
    Rhiannon vanished because Phantasia was removed from the game after her last fight.

9. Idoro

Hey all! Since I've done high-quality art of Madelyn and Tylissa already, I was wondering which character you'd like to see drawn full-body and in high quality (or higher quality than I normally draw at least) next. Here's a poll!

Which BoK character should have high-quality art drawn of them next?

Here are what some of the characters look like:
    Valerie
    Linara
    Alchana
    Arisa
    Rhiannon
    Yasril

I've only included older characters this time around, as to keep from interest being divided too much. I'll probably do NPCs next and then move on to the newer characters. Get to votin'!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  10. Idoro

I'll give this poll until the weekend before I stop counting votes. Currently, Linara is winning. If you haven't voted yet, do so now!

11. Marcomax

With my last post, I just wanted to determine what kind of specialty ammo I have for my feat.

12. Sickerton

I asked this in the IRC, but upon further thought it'd make more sense to do here.

So we have three baddies on the other side of this broken bridge here, right? We could walk away. We could MacGyver some sort of path up to them and try not to get funneled too hard. We could plink at them with ranged attacks and hope they get annoyed enough to come down.

Or we could kill one of them before the first combat turn is over.

Here's how it works:

Mirevina has an ability that pulls an enemy to her and stuns them for one turn.
    Thraso has an ability to hurl an enemy in melee range in any direction until they hit an object or the map edge, as long as she passes a grapple check.
    Stunned characters do not get to take checks.

So as an opening move Mirevina and Thraso could theoretically pull one of these guys down and give 'em a new home in hell (aka the back of the lava river) before they can even react.

Question 1: Would we like to try this?
    Question 2: If we did, who would be the "lucky" one out of the three chosen?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
    unknownwatcher likes this.
  13. Unrelated

Remember two important keys here:
    1. We have to move to get into position to do any of these things
    2. No one has a push ability that doesn't put them near the lava themselves, and we don't know what forced movement abilities they have.

Sickerton likes this.
  14. Sickerton

Yeah, we have to move first, but we are currently in exploration mode. And exploration mode has unlimited movement distance as long as you can actually reach the area. It'd take one turn of exploration mode each to set things up, and even if combat mode breaks out a turn of both Mirevina and Thraso forgoing combat actions for two movement phases should get them anywhere they need to be.

In the second case Mirevina's "pull" has a range of eight spaces, which is a fairly good cushion between her and the lava. And while Thraso has to be next to the opponent, the resulting "push" has no limit and she could dunk one from the exact opposite side of the map if given the chance.

Although the three having movement abilities themselves is an interesting prospect. In terms of just plain old getting around, I doubt that the Ogre has any way to hustle if in a bad spot. Tanks are rarely known for maneuverability.

Them having push/pull abilities themselves could also be interesting. If I were a betting man, I'd wager that only the elf has any reasonable chance of packing a "pull" ability. The Ogre is pretty much naturally a "push" candidate, which wouldn't put us in imminent danger as long as he stays to the left of the party. And the wolf... Pfft. Like he'd want his meal anywhere but right in front of him.

15. Baku|Haku

Baku|Haku Avid Affiliate

I say we go for Mr. Dog, Since our little ninja man has more importance to the plot so he might save himself, The golem seems to be within range but it's made of stone and there nothing that asure us that is not going to become a lava golem or something.
    The furry one seems to by only a furry, safest bet to be burned alived. All that fur must be flamable *w*

16. Marcomax

Sorry I couldn't post sooner, I was away for a business conference.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  17. Sickerton

Cool, an actual reason to use this board function!

@Baku|Haku
    @Marcomax
    @Taveren
    @thesteedman
    @Unrelated
    @Sickerton (Eh why not)

[​IMG]

IT IS TIME FOR BATTLE!

...And, consequently, petty bickering over who does what.

[​IMG]

The Current Situation:
    • Bog (Big Guy) has Aria immobilized in a hold, clearly about to teach her that it isn't only ogres who have layers
    • Farkan (Wolfie) has given Emilia the stink eye, freezing her in place, and obviously intends to go over there to chow down.
    • Everyone else is standing next to an orb that is currently frying their asses, and will continue to do so until they wise up and move away from it.
    Things We All Should Know:
    • These three are ludicrously overleveled compared to us, and the potency of abilities in BoK are largely based on the levels of those attacking vs those being attacked. This means that any status effect we create, either to help us or hinder them, has roughly a 50% of them just no-selling it. Damage increases should work just fine, but fancy stuff like freezing/blinding/stunning/adding defensive buffs may just waste a combat turn unless it also comes alongside raw damage.
    • Felandren has an ability that should be able to free Emilia, although he should move away from the orb before doing so. Aria is in bigger trouble: Idoro has said that only damage would free her from Bog's grip (If we pull/push Bog anywhere he'll just take Emilia along for the ride), and when asked how much damage exactly the reply was "Don't bother."
    • Jerin is apparently a wizard as well as a ninja. In my book, this makes him the glassiest cannon in existence.
    • Seriously, guys, get away from that orb.
    The Plan(s) So Far:
    I Take Off Your Robe And Wizard Hat: Put simply, the spellcaster has to go and he has to go now. So Mirevana moves to somewhere like G17 and pulls Jerin to G16 with her Unholy Grasp. He may or may not be stunned after that, but the pull itself should work. From that point on, we basically unload on him until he isn't a problem any more. Poppa Orc may even join in since he's right there. Jerin is chosen for this in particular because he most likely has the lowest health total out of the three, he clearly has AoE stuff that could be a nuisance if he's allowed breathing room, and seriously fuck that guy.

The main drawbacks to this would be twofold: The other two opponents will have pretty much free reign, and no one's going to stop Aria from being folded like an accordion.

Hammer of God: Here's some fun math for ya:
    Thraso's Heavy Smash (x2) and her first boast (x4) makes x8
    Leading off of that, Thraso's first boast (x4) and Lariat (x3) makes x12
    Expanding on that: Thraso's first Boast (x4), plus Lariat (x3) plus the Attack Charm (x2) equals x24

And while Thraso can fail trying to Lariat an enemy, Lariating an ally into an enemy gives them no such chance to save themselves.

Drawbacks:
    • Takes at least three turns to pull off, and Thraso cannot contribute to the battle until the deed's been done.
    • Will consume the party Attack Charm.
    • Will require assistance from one team member for the last part, who will then lose their turn due to recovering from plowing straight through someone's torso.
    Now with all that out of the way, let's discuss. Possible plans to add? Details to tweak? Problems to point out?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
    Baku|Haku likes this.
  18. thesteedman

thesteedman Casual Client Ryonani Teamster

Right then... okay... hmm.... planning! Not my strong forte but lets give it a go.

I think Faith might be better used simply getting stuck in as soon as she can. She has a string of attacks that get better multiplyers over rounds. I believe she has to be focused on one target to do so and I do agree, Jerin should probably be our first target. My only worry is, though he probably is the glass hammer of the trio, if their levels are mad high, even their glass hammer is gonna probably have a ton of health.

My 2nd fear of Jerin is the ninja aspect of him. Though we might get to pull him in and wail on him for a round, its possible his mad ninja skills will grant him a means to escape, even when possibly surrounded. We need to be careful of that an expect anything, especially as a few of us are probably going to be bunched up around him, leaving an opening for another potential AoE attack (that last one was devastating enough. I have a feeling he has more charges and will begin to restrict movement on the battlefield with them).

Anyways! Fears aside! Possible suggestions.

Madelyn
    - Is it worth Madelyn using her Radiant Light before we do anything? A few of us have lost a good portion of health and that was an AoE attack. I imagine more focused single attacks will carry much more of a punch and really put people in the danger zone. With us grouped up, Madelyn can restore most of the health of those who took the early hit, healing 160 points worth of health overall with each person getting 40 each.
    -Drawback: It would spend one of the two charges she has of Radiant Light leaving one less in a fight that is no doubt going to require a lot of healing. That, and it would prevent her from attacking, in which offence might be our best defence right now.

Avita
    - How about a possible plan to drop Whirlpool on an area to catch Jerin and either Bog or Farkan? Given the area effect, Avita could actually land an attack on two of them right now given their positions. Many of us can't really reach for a melee right now anyway so it might be a decent opening attack for her to do?
    -Drawback: It's a large cooldown before it can be used again, but we might not actually get a better chance to use it as we may be grouped up against the enemies by the time it is ready again or if we delay using it.

Faith
    - I think Faith can use Absorb Chi off the bat without losing an action (will have to confirm tho) and be a spirit element as well as increasing her critical chance. Once more I'll have to confirm, but I think only magic can harm her for the most part whilst in this form (unless the coin flip is still in effect, even then there is a chance she might avoid being physically hurt by an attack.) which means Jerin will become the biggest threat against her... however it just gives her a chance to move closer and be ready to attack when need be.

With that in mind, I was thinking of using Absorb Chi, and then moving Faith to H 15 where she can launch a chi wave at a distance and get a potential early attack with a crtical chance. Alternatively she can move in ready to attack Jerin if the Mirevina pull works, but I have to ask, will the Mirevina pull work instantly or will it be an end of round occurance after all attacks have been announced?

Just my two cents for now. Though before I listen to other no doubt more awesome suggestions, I do think we should see how the next two rounds go... if their damage output is too much to handle or their abilities prove to be too much. Escape might have to be an option to be considered. If there's a threat of overkill against our characters, that means perma-death I believe (and I like Faith =( ). We might have to concede that our girls are not ready to fight such enemies yet... but obviously this is a worst case scenario kind of suggestion. I think we should see how we fare for a round or two and see how we really stand >_> Problem is, IC Faith would be very reluctant to leave knowing people need help.

Plus the Orcs might prove to have a nice punch in them, but we should really not really include them in any plans and assume they are on the same level as us. We can't control them, but they might surprise us.

19. Unrelated

Remember that you can have conditional branches in your post. "If X works, Move here and do this. Else move here and do this.", etc.

I think that Avita should move and use her Bubblebeam on Farkan. That gives us a potential two stuns against the enemy this turn, and bubblebeam does damage regardless of the stun.

20. Baku|Haku

Baku|Haku Avid Affiliate

*So, Avita must shoot first so we can have an advangue over the little buggers, The real question is if we are going to attack at a single target and who?
    I do say we go agaist the wolfie since we need to crunch the numbers as soon as posible, One is a golem and the other is a Ninja that can probably can super evade.
    If Avita fails to either freeze him or to blind him what little damague she does (Beacuse, Bubblebeam) must be followed by the others attacking. She is in rangue to move and hit one of them or two at a time no problem so you tell me who I shoot.
    In history context she will attack the Golem since it's grabbing her one sided BFF, but you make the call. It's a nice idea to all attack a single target
    We are still asumming they are not going to summon more people and if that is the chase it's nesessary to eliminate as many people as possible.
    Of course this is under the assumption that the wolf man is the weaker link of the chain.
    Alchana is near the golem so freeing Aria might help us "Even" the playfield.
    But Mr. Golem is a Golem and might have a lot of HP, but it's tempting to see Thraso rip his arms off. Then again I don't know if Avita can freeze him.
    If we are voting I say we go for wolfie. Hopefully his evassion stat is not very good.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016