Is SDT or the Loader a virus? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluey5

Potential Patron
File 'Loader. v5.30.ModGuy.zip'
appears malicious.

Why? That's normal right?

sby

Content Creator
Coder
Bluey said:
File 'Loader. v5.30.ModGuy.zip'
appears malicious.

Why? That's normal right?
hmm, this is actually the first time that chrome has blocked something from downloading for me

interesting, the mirror was not found suspicious. solidfiles adding some extra data to files these days?

ModGuy

Content Creator
Scanned the zip at VirusTotal, triggered 3/47 AVs with false positives.
I can assure you that neither SDT nor the Loader are bundled with any malicious code.

However, do make sure only to download from the links I provide or sites you trust.
If for some reason my links are appearing as malicious, don't hesitate to let me know.
I'd prefer not to swap them out since the sites I use are not only lenient with their ToS, they are also fairly hassle free.

To help with any potential doubt:

MG said:
Flash viruses are very difficult to create but malware authors aim for the Flash platform because it can have huge returns due to how the content is presented to us in a browser.
The code loads and runs automatically from accessing a webpage, it can be embedded in some advert such that you don't even know that it has run.
BUT
Since these are so troublesome to craft you often need a LOT of extra components to tie the exploit together, sometimes these things are embedded in the page too.
Flash works within so many constraints because it aims to increase security which impacts development but gives the user peace of mind.
The SWF on its own will not be enough to perform some kind of exploit by itself due to the nature of the VM (virtual machine) that interprets the published bytecode.
Since most users run the SWF locally, it wouldn't have the extras it needs to exploit the system. Even if it did, it wouldn't be able to successfully communicate this information back.
ALSO
Once again, since these require so much effort to produce, nobody is going to waste their exploit on a local deployment.
The more users you hit at once the better, as such you'd publish to webpages, adverts etc.
Once the exploit is discovered by Adobe, and they do this for a living, it's useless. I don't think anybody would tie something to valuable in to this game.

http://www.sdtmods.com/index.php?topic=4363

And finally:

I distribute the source code for the loader to multiple members regularly, and anyone with the SWFs can use a decompiler to view the code just as easily.
If there was malicious code, somebody would have found out by now.

Bluey5

Potential Patron
OK, thanks. I oughta bookmark that page as well. Didn't know you updated from v5.25d.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.