In videogames, do you inflict or receive? (1 Viewer)

Which is your preference?

• I usually inflict pain to female characters.

Votes: 19 17.3%
  • I usually pick a female character and let her receive pain.

Votes: 59 53.6%
  • I receive and inflict equally / don't care.

Votes: 32 29.1%

• Total voters

Mardion

Potential Patron
A very decent amount of people in this forum play videogames for their ryona, but I noticed a bit of disparity as to how each of us revels in them, even when discussing the same game. So let's see where everyone stands on one very basic matter : Do you, preferably, inflict pain on female opponents, or receive pain while controlling a female one?

For purposes of clarification, let me expand on the above question. If you're about to play an action/beat'em up game, do you prefer the ones where you control a character who inflicts pain on female opponents? Or do you enjoy more taking control of a female character and let your opponents show her pain? Likewise, in a fighting game, do you usually pick a female fighter and do nothing as your opponent beats you to a pulp, or do you find a female opponent and kick the crap out of her?

Note : This question is mostly about commercial games, as in most ryona-specific games you don't have a choice, while this poll supposes that you do have a choice.

Toffi

Content Creator
It's basically a question of Sub or Dom, right?
As I have no Dom in me, I tend to go more for the second option: pick a female and let her receive.
But not as simple as "usually pick a female fighter and do nothing as your opponent beats you to a pulp" - rather I try to give myself certain conditions (like no blocking, no special moves, no whatever) and try to win anyway, knowing that my character will receive more than the opponent.

True Succubus

Potential Patron
Well, when it comes to gaming, i tend to pick a character to get beat up for 3 reasons, 1. The AI can do stuff perfectly, 2. If i pick the character and chose not to move, then my character won't move, but if i tried to beat up the AI the AI would move, finally 3. i can customise my character usually.

I personally like to do both, but being the one beaten up so so much simplier

DeNice

Ryonani Teamster
I usually fall more into picking the character and getting beat up (although I make the time to still play as her at the same time, since having her just stand there feels a little too bland for me), although I definitely go out my way to try to go against my favorite girls in fighting games when they show up. Sure, the AI moves and goes things that somewhat take away from it (like quick recovery and stuff after knockdowns, when I tend to perfer they get fully knocked to the ground and stay there *wink*) but I do like doing what I want to them as well. Guess I'm a mixed bag.

Black Lion

Ryonani Teamster
Generally I'll receive the pain. But when it comes to fighting or wrestling games, I'll do the inflicting because I have more control over what happens.

Unrelated

Ryonani Teamster
Well, when it comes to gaming, i tend to pick a character to get beat up for 3 reasons, 1. The AI can do stuff perfectly, 2. If i pick the character and chose not to move, then my character won't move, but if i tried to beat up the AI the AI would move, finally 3. i can customise my character usually.

I personally like to do both, but being the one beaten up so so much simplier

I agree with this, for pretty much the same reasons. Also, outside of one-on-one fighting games, the number of female protagonists greatly outnumber the female baddies.

Mardion

Potential Patron
So out of the five of you, the four like and exercise both options but prefer to be on the receiving end for various reasons. Interesting, I was under the impression that receiving pain was secondary for most.

I'm always on the receiving end of ryona. I'd never be able to think of myself as the attacker, as that mentality is far away from my internal logic. Plus I like seeing the attacker thinking up of impressive moves with which to inflict pain on my character, but if I was that attacker, I'd know every move beforehand and there would be no suspense (which is essentially the opposite reasoning of Black Lion's post :-P ).

Since, according to the poll, most of you prefer receiving pain, how about explaining your chosen way? Toffi already said he handicaps himself while playing, assuring his loss while not deterring from his character's determination to win. How does everyone else control the character he is setting up to lose? Me, I'm open about it, I usually just have her walk towards her opponent, seldomly attacking (unless I want her attack to be countered) and usually blocking until she is grabbed. My reasoning is either that she is too stubborn to accept her loss and always steps ahead to the danger with confidence until she receives the move (but then stands up again thinking she will avoid it next time, with infinite and pretty naive determination) or that she subconsciously wants to get hurt.

DeNice

Ryonani Teamster
As I said in my post, I actually sorta play "seriously" to a degree, since I want my "scene" to be a bit more lively than just my favorite girl getting her tush kicked. My problem, however, is since I actually play most of my fighting games very well on my "real" spare time, I can't go all out if I'm in a "ryona" mood, or else it's just me playing the game like it was (lol) originally intended. It's sorta like having to forget about training for my next on-line session and go "well, I sorta WANT Sakura/Xiaoyu/Talim to lose here". So I wind up going things like combos and things still since I still want to make the scene go that the girl is trying to win, but I purposely let their guard down and don't recover at all when she knocked around. In games like DOA, Soul & Tekken where you can prolong how long you stay down/stunned instead of getting straight back up & recovering, I very much don't hurry up getting up at all (things I wish the AI could do sometimes, especially in DOA...). It winds up working for me in the longrun, although I do have that normal gamer stubbornness to want to win every match... It can be a pain sometimes >_>;)

Black Lion

Ryonani Teamster
I generally just sit there and take punishment. Or walk around and get shot. Or run towards a baddie and get grabbed.

d£t

nu
Ryonani Teamster
I generally like to find some kind of unlimited health cheat and find a bunch of baddies to lose to. I like it when my character gets backed into a corner or against the wall, while blocking if that's in the game, until the baddies get wise and start using throws/grabs or unblockable moves. That is unless the death/loss sequences are really worth seeing. :P I always prefer losing to a hold move of some kind.

Someone92

Vivacious Visitor
It's less about inflicting or receiving but simply which moves my character and the opponents have; if I have moves I like I spam them without end, if one of the opponents has an interesting move I usually find a infinite health cheat and let her spam the move on me without end.
If both sides have the same move available (i.e. fighting games) I mostly choose the active side because I have more control which move is performed when.

annac

Potential Patron
I'd say it depends on the game really and how good the AI is. I normally find I have to inflict to use the right moves like in beat em ups but other games with female protagonists (Res evil etc) it's the other way round.

weediscool

Ryonani Teamster
eh i'm in the minority, i'm more about inflicting pain, its better when you get the tools to mess around with, what puts me off ryona is the enemy only ever has 3 animations to kill you with. I would rather be the thing thats killing females/males/monsters[insert whatever] because i have more choices in such a situation as opposed to being a helpless indvidual whose going to experience a random death animation.

noice1

Potential Patron
I'm with Black Lion, you need to have control in some games, so you get the ryona you are after. For example, in wrestling games, the AI is pretty clumsy and if you just sit there and take punishment it's boring. Best thing to do is schedule a 2-on-1 handicap with all divas and double team. You control the flow, the ryona to inflict and keep the match from ending too soon.

However, I went with receive, as this is my preferred choice, if it's viable. It usually results in the best effects since it's unpredictable and just more entertaining/less effort. Additionally, there's more background to your character, so you can get into the ryona.

eyeteeth

Ryonani Teamster
i like it when the heroine fails. generic female characters do not really interest me, i prefer to see actual characters with personalities and stories. since the heroine is almost always the player character, i prefer to receive.

B

bro_goh

i really try to get the enemies to use throws. kind of a fun challenge mixed in with the ryona.

Umina

Ryonani Teamster
Usually on the receiving side. I don't like controlling because I can't do things perfectly in a fighting game. Instead of doing an epic finisher that well... is epic and amazing to watch, I'd do something wrong and end with a weak kick or something. An example of this would be something like Soul Calibur where pulling off Ivy's sword thing where it broke apart and did a whole bunch of stuff was really really hard (at least it used to be, don't know about the newer ones). Also, it's less work for me and frees my hands for other things ^///^;

bryanthunder

Ryonani Teamster
I tend to be on the receiving side. Though it mostly depends on the genera of game, or available characters.
Survival Horror for example; tons of enemies that want to tear my player character apart? Start lining up female characters for me there.
Fighting games usually have superior graphics and animations, but everything is supposed to happen fast, so you can't really enjoy either inflicting nor receiving if you ask me.

noice1

Potential Patron
Well the real problem with fighting games is if you are trying to be on the receiving end, I find the AI is usually boring. They don't do the moves you want, or repeat the same moves over and over. Another problem, at least with the Mortal Kombat series, is for some reason the AI won't do finishers. I was going to watch every character's but the AI beats me and just does a roundhouse kick or something to finish me off. So I had to look up the finishers and painstakingly try to pull off each one.

Drigg4321

Potential Patron
Depends on the game...

If im not able to do something on female opponents that the cpu can do then ill just position myself in a way where the cpu can easily do that. (Ninja Gaiden for Example. I cant do all the finisher grab things they can do)

But if its a fighting game like Mortal Kombat, then what Noice1 said makes sense. The cpu NEVER does what i want it to do, so im usualy the one inflicting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.