1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Import: Vanilla Rabbit (Sonic the Hedgehog)

Discussion in 'Invalid Requests' started by shentaidude16, May 12, 2016.

1. shentaidude16

shentaidude16 Potential Patron

Hi, this is my very first thread on a forum.
    I want to know if anybody is willing to make a import of Vanilla Rabbit.
    I cannot draw characters, they come horrible.
    Here are hopefully some good sources that I found...
    [​IMG]
    A normal close-up shot.^
    [​IMG]
    A nude shot.^
    [​IMG]
    A hopefully better close-up shot.^
    [​IMG]
    A side view of Vanilla.

If anybody needs better source material, please let me know.
    Like I said before, this is my very first post on a online forum, so please go easy on me!!!
    I do not know how to code or draw.:frown:

Last edited: May 12, 2016
  2. fleet

fleet Club Regular Staff Member Moderator

Hello, welcome to Undertow. I'm glad you joined us.
    Please check these two links for guidelines for suitable reference pictures.
    Requesting Rules PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING A REQUEST
    Reference Shot Guide
    Pay particular attention to the part about side views; the one side view you posted is not useful.
    Also, please specify what exactly you want modded (hair, face, ears, clothes, all).

3. stuntcock

stuntcock Club Regular Staff Member Moderator

We'll need images which show her face from the side.

You may also want to take a look at the recent work done by @Furries. The SDT girl's face is hardcoded to use human proportions, so it's difficult to achieve a long nose or muzzle while preserving the normal animation system. You tend to get either a "mask" (which looks like the character, but doesn't animate) or a weirdly stretched nose drawn above a human jaw, chin, and lips.

So you might need to decide whether you want a complete "face" mod, or just a hairstyle and rabbit ears surrounding a human face. Here's an example of the latter approach, as applied to a My Little Pony character. If you can find a "humanized" fanart picture of your character, then that might be very useful for a modder who is attempting to blend her features onto the SDT template.

We need literal "perpendicular to the camera" side views. Not just shots which show some of the lateral features. Take a look at the Reference Shot Guide.

That's okay. I can't draw. @Mineur is a great artist, and I don't think that he has written a single line of code for SDT.

You can contribute just by making innovative suggestions and offering honest feedback. You might learn some skills by working on mods (such as vector tracing or animation -- I knew nothing about either of those when I started with SDT). There are other ways to help out, such as finding useful reference images for Request threads, re-posting old mod files as Downloads, providing Reviews which praise or criticize existing mods, or adding Tags to Threads and Download entries which lack them. Check out the final section of the Getting Started guide for details.

4. shentaidude16

Well, I really want a complete face mod. It doesn't matter to me if it's animated.
    I found this GIF image and captured 2 frames from it.
    [​IMG]
    Could this be considered a literal side view? I searched all over Google for a good side view but on every one I saw, Vanilla's design was completely different.
    [​IMG]
    A flipped image for the second frame.

[​IMG]
    Original 2nd frame.

I'm still looking around for more images, but I hope these could help in some way... :(
    Also, thank you for helping me.

5. stuntcock

stuntcock Club Regular Staff Member Moderator

Okay. That's not really my thing; I work with hairstyles and (very rarely) clothing mods.

You could try asking Furries whether he's interested, since he has just completed something similar - and he mentioned that he might take requests.

Yes, that's a proper side view (ignoring the mouth, because Sonic the Hedgehog always "cheats" the mouth placement so that it faces the camera).

There are still a few problems:
    • It's GIF, so the colors have been dithered
    • The resolution is low
    • The image is cropped somewhat aggressively, so we don't see the full extent of the hair or ears
    • If you're hoping for an open-mouthed "mask" mod, then it would be best to find an open-mouthed reference image
    These aren't insurmountable problems. An actual artist could probably make do with what you've provided. But the Undertow forum includes some members who can't really draw. If you give them a "perfect" reference image which they can trace, then they'll give you a usable PNG or SWF file. Otherwise they'll give you nothing.

Please don't assume that the image you need is available via a simple web search! For old or obscure characters, it can be very useful to find the original materials (i.e. download a high-resolution copy of the animated series) and then create reference images on your own -- by grabbing a screenshot whenever your character appears on-screen in profile.

Alternatively - seek out fanart. An image like this one might be useful.

That's not necessarily an obstacle. Most modders don't insist on matching a character's original design. If an artist is working on your project, then they might add a few stylistic touches of their own.

When looking at a potential reference image, the important question is "if someone created a mod which closely resembles this image, then would you be happy with the result?" If you don't like a particular re-design then you're free to reject the image and keep looking.

6. shentaidude16

Thank you stuntcock.