How to take screenshots easily with ShareX (1 Viewer)

SyntaxTerror

Content Creator
Hello

As a "Content Creator" (well, it is what is written under my name <<< :tongue:), I have to make examples of the mods I am creating, and taking screenshots, cropping and uploading them becomes a little boring after a while.

I just found a wonderfull tool to do this: ShareX.
This is a free, open source, multilanguage, lightweight (13,9 Mo) software that allows to take many kinds of screenshots, save them in a specific folder (so one can take many screenshots in a row without having to save them everytime), upload them (on Imgur, FlickR, Picasa, etc.), recording screen videos and uploading the directly on Dropbox.com, and many other things.

For example, if I want to get an example of a new hair mod:
  • Before, I had to:
    1. Take a screenshot.
    2. Open my raster graphics editor (Paint.net).
    3. Paste the image.
    4. Crop it.
    5. Save it.
    6. Upload it on my image hosting site.
    7. Get the link to the image.
    8. etc.
  • With ShareX, I only have to:
    1. Take a screenshot of the image part of SDT's window (using Ctrl+Print Screen).
With the correct settings, the image is directly uploaded to Imgur (it takes a few seconds, the image can also be saved in my Imgur account, in a specific folder) and the link to the image is automaticaly put in the clipboard. I just have to paste it in the Image URL field...
A preview of the screenshot is also shown in the bottom right corner of the screen. Clicking on it allows to open the screenshot in the image editor or on the image hosting site.

ShareX also allows to have the mouse pointer on the screenshot (that is why I downloaded it firstly).

This thread can look as a commercial, but I really find that this tool is a good one. The only problem I see is that the list of image hosting sites is limited.

I hope it can be useful to you too. :wink:

Last edited:

Huitznahua

Content Creator
Interesting, I'm testing right now ! :wink:

Edit : A lot of parameters to setup so ... it's way more complicated than my gimp script. :tongue:

Last edited:

SyntaxTerror

Content Creator
Interesting, I'm testing right now ! :wink:

Edit : A lot of parameters to setup so ... it's way more complicated than my gimp script. :tongue:
Depends of what you want to do... Setting the hosting site accounts may take five minutes. I am not using this because I upload my images on ImageBam where are all my stuff is and it is not in the list (I do not like nor trust Imgur, I think it will soon become like solidfiles).

If you can make scripts (and use GIMP, I hate this software :tongue:), it may be different...

Huitznahua

Content Creator
Hey,

I started using "share x" by setting it up properly and I must confess that it's rather powerful.

So thank you for the advice :smile:

Rudgar

Content Creator
Ahoy!
Well, meanwhile we figured out that there is a built-in way to take screenshots even easier:
  1. Hit the "/" key on your keyboard and SDT will ask you where to save a png file named "screenshot0001.png" containing the current content of your flashplayer's window (sized to 700 x 600 pixel). The last 4 digits in the filename will increase automatically during a session.
    Attention: international keyboards may use different keys, e.g. German keyboards use the "#" key, French keyboards use the ":" key. Others may add posts for other country specific keyboards.
  2. Simply hit the "enter" key and SDT will ask you where to save a png file named "Thumb.png" containing a smaller image (140 x 120 pixel) with a portrait of the current model. Just save it in the concerned character folder without renaming it.
HTH

Regards, Me

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.