How to make (easy) SWF imports (1 Viewer)

Mezzora

Potential Patron
SWF Guide.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Mezzora

Potential Patron
Kona already has a typed one in the zip, are you sure you want me to make one?
(Feel free to delete this thread)

anonymous

Avid Affiliate
I do agree with Grimey's sentiment that if you are a noob with flash you shouldn't bother trying to make swf imports, but I'd rather there be a topic on the board for idiots to whine about it than for people to bother Kona or flood the News posts with questions.

Also, when I said a tutorial, I kind of meant a step by step tutorial for using Flash to make dynamic imports, similar to voltlight's GIMP tutorial.

Regardless, I'll keep this topic until someone decides to take the time to make one. Just so there is a place for noobs to complain and whine.

Mezzora

Potential Patron
Do you really think those people will post here and whine about something after you called them idiots and noobs? :)

RajasGrime

Content Creator
They will, because they are idiots and noobs.

My quick write-up from the other thread, slightly edited and with numbers corresponding to the above image (use that for screenshots):

1. Open SDTMod.fla.

2. Select the type of mod movie clip you want from the Library window (Ctrl+L) in the Template folder and duplicate it.

- Double-click the duplicated movie clip in the Library window to open it on the timeline.

- Select the frame on the timeline that is not Settings or Reference (it should be the only one unlocked).

3. Draw your mod on the canvas using the reference as basis on this frame using the pen tool (P).

4. Delete the reference layer by selecting it and right-click > delete.

5. Go back to the "Main" scene timeline, place the movie clip containing your drawing from the Library on the canvas in the "Mods" frame.

- Click the movieclip you placed. Give it an Instance name in the Properties window (Ctrl + F3).

6. Click the Settings frame on the timeline, view ActionScript in the Actions window (F9).

- Add: "registerMod(YourInstanceNameHere);" on a new line somewhere. There is an example commenetd out which you can copy and edit.

- Add an optional character code string, your optional name and an optional title for you mod.

7. Hit Ctrl+Enter to publish as SWF movie. Your output window will tell you if you succeeded in succesfully exporting the mod. If it didn't, check the instance name and the AS you added for typos.

- Import in SDT under the modding tab.

I think that's all.

anonymous

Avid Affiliate
I don't think you guys are understanding me.

I'm talking about a tutorial on how to DRAW swf imports with Flash. Could also be for making png's.

My point is that we have a photoshop tutorial and a gimp tutorial, but no flash tutorial.

RajasGrime

Content Creator
Then why didn't you say so? The pen tool is the same in any Adobe programm though. It's said drawing in Flash is queer, but I could make an Illustrator tutorial.

Could, not want. If you can't handle a pen tool in Flash, I count you as Flash illiterate.

rufferto

Vivacious Visitor
Well drawing the imports is basicly the same with every graphics software, plus everyone has their own style and different approaches to it.
I prefer Illustrator too...

The hard part with Flash is getting the import to work properly, and Rajas explanation along with Mezzoras graphic helps a lot with that
(except for the shortcuts which are different for me, but people using another OS should be able to figure that out).

If you´re trying to do a hair import with different layers I think those additional steps have to be made (between step 4. and 5.):

-Click the settings layer, open ActionScript.

-Choose the appropriate layer from the target layers.

-Put the name of the layer in the line below, e.g. if the layer is HAIR_UNDER the line should be: var targetElement:String = ModElements.HAIR_UNDER;

-Close ActionScript, rename the layer in which you were drawing with the appropriate name, e.g. HAIR_UNDER

That´s how it works for me at least…

Mezzora

Potential Patron
So you'd like to see Raja's text + those additional steps between 4 and 5 + more pictures?
How about adding a little note for important hotkeys such as Strg and Space?
Most of them are the same on each OS I guess, Strg just has another name on Macs or am I wrong?
I've also cleared the mess in my .psd file if someone wants to do it.
You guys are just better with Adobe products than I am.

Attachments

SWF Guide.psd
1.6 MB · Views: 29,954

rufferto

Vivacious Visitor
Mezzora said:
So you'd like to see Raja's text + those additional steps between 4 and 5 + more pictures?

Me? No, I just wanted to chip in a little something I found out which seems to be important for dynamic hair and multi-layered imports.

Mezzora said:
How about adding a little note for important hotkeys such as Strg and Space?
Most of them are the same on each OS I guess, Strg just has another name on Macs or am I wrong?

It´s no big deal, most people use windows anyway, just thought that it´s noteworthy.
Here´s a list of shortcuts for mac and windows.
It was just that while reading Rajas tutorial, I tried to open ActionScript with F9, coincidentally the only one that´s different.
You´re perfectly right most of them are the same except for the name of the keys.

Mezzora said:
You guys are just better with Adobe products than I am.

Not me, dynamic hair made me realize that I´m a dummy with flash. :P

Soulbinder

Potential Patron
I was planning on having a crack at taking old imports and making them Dynamic, but seeing as I have no prior experience with flash and I havn't used photo shop in a few years... would it be too difficult to do, with these tutorials?

RajasGrime

Content Creator
This particular tutorial does not elaborate on how to draw and position dynamic hairs, but moreso on the specifics of preparing an import in the Flash modding files. There is no tutorial (yet) specifically for drawing dynamic hair.

funfriend

Content Creator
I did some tests to figure out the order of mod layers. So, according to my calculations, this is the order of layers, from front to back:

HAIR_COSTUME_OVER
DYNAMIC_HAIR_OVER
HAIR_TOP
HAIR_COSTUME_UNDEROVER
[ear and right arm]
DYNAMIC_HAIR_BETWEEN
EYEWEAR
[body including right leg, buttock, breast]
HAIR_COSTUME_UNDER
HAIR_UNDER
DYNAMIC_HAIR_UNDER
HAIR_BOTTOM
COLLAR
GAG_FRONT
[neck & head, except for ear]
GAG_BACK
[penis, outlines of left body parts: arm, leg, buttock, breast]
HAIR_COSTUME_BACK
DYNAMIC_HAIR_BACK
HAIR_BACK
[his arm]
BACKGROUND

I'd say I'm 90% sure this is right, but if someone finds an error in this, please post about it.

kojiro

Content Creator
is there anyway to merge symbols to make it 1 like how you can merge layers to flatten them in photoshop? im trying to make a collar and i finished it but now when i try to put it to the stage i cant do it to make it one symbol. i made the lines and colors on different layers bcause i was unable to get the shading done without getting the lines covered which was annoying and the only way i se so far to stop that dorm happening was to use the arranging like send to back but it only let me do that when i converted them to graphic symbols but now i dont know how to get them to be just one symbol

kojiro

Content Creator
forget it i get how to import collar mods now made a really crappy one as a test and it worked. shouldnt have made any symbols. just have to redraw it. how do u guys get the shading done? i know how to do it by first selecting the stroke color and making a shade path with the pen tool and fill it in with the same color using the paint bucket but it sometimes covers the lines. even if i do the colors in a different layer when i cut and past in place to make it one layer the overlapping is messed up so it possible to use the arranging without turning it to a symbol first?
EDIT: forget it again... realized i can delete the stroke likes i make for the shade :-X

Mezzora

Potential Patron
kojiro said:
is there anyway to merge symbols to make it 1 like how you can merge layers to flatten them in photoshop?

Just select all symbols and press F8 to make the whole thing a symbol.
But don't delete the symbols it's made of.

rufferto

Vivacious Visitor
funfriend said:
I did some tests to figure out the order of mod layers. So, according to my calculations, this is the order of layers, from front to back:

HAIR_COSTUME_OVER
DYNAMIC_HAIR_OVER
HAIR_TOP
HAIR_COSTUME_UNDEROVER
[ear and right arm]
DYNAMIC_HAIR_BETWEEN
EYEWEAR
[body including right leg, buttock, breast]
HAIR_COSTUME_UNDER
HAIR_UNDER
DYNAMIC_HAIR_UNDER
HAIR_BOTTOM
COLLAR
GAG_FRONT
[neck & head, except for ear]
GAG_BACK
[penis, outlines of left body parts: arm, leg, buttock, breast]
HAIR_COSTUME_BACK
DYNAMIC_HAIR_BACK
HAIR_BACK
[his arm]
BACKGROUND

I'd say I'm 90% sure this is right, but if someone finds an error in this, please post about it.

I´m currently recreating Jill Valentine from your awesome source file and stumbled upon something interesting:
If you look at Kona´s Jill, the highlights in her hair are above the DYNAMIC_HAIR_OVER layer, but they can be tinted like the rest of the hair so they can´t be in HAIR_COSTUME_OVER either.

I don´t know how Konashion did it, but there must be some way to get static hair above the topmost dynamic hair without using the hair costume layer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.