1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hiked Skirts and Dresses

Discussion in 'Invalid Requests' started by jase, Mar 23, 2016.

1. jase

jase Avid Affiliate

There's such a nice variety of exposed tops and pulled down pants, but I haven't seen any hiked skirts or dresses lifted to expose the ass. I've tried to emulate the look with moreclothing settings (eg: "OL_grayskirt.swf=Hiked Small Skirt:CostumeBottoms-rightThigh>CostumeBottoms") but the results don't look very nice or believable.

Can someone make hiked up versions of the vanilla skirts and dresses? And the Office Lady skirts included with moreclothing would also make good candidates, because any of the lengths could stand in for any similarly colored skirt bottoms.

aztlan and Sharklasers like this.
  2. jase

jase Avid Affiliate

Reasons why a thread might be moved to the Invalid Requests board:
    • no reference images provided - I referenced available mods. Do you need a picture of a shirt when you're holding the hangar that it's on?
    • the Request text is poorly-written; it's not clear what is being asked for - The thread title alone is clear. You hardly need to read the message body to understand the request.

3. Sharklasers

Sharklasers Avid Affiliate Content Creator

The rules are bizarrely strict, but I think it's to keep this whole thing organized. This probably got moved to invalid requests because you didn't provide a picture of the specific outfit you were looking for.

4. stuntcock

stuntcock Club Regular Staff Member Moderator

You're asking for a transformed version of an existing mod, but you haven't described the transformation adequately. "Hiked" is vague and "exposed ass" doesn't tell me much about the desired shape. It could mean that the skirt material is lifted up and creased/crumpled into a messy shape. It could mean that the waistline of the skirt has been pulled upwards so that its general shape is preserved but the skirt doesn't interfere with pelvic penetration. You might even want a skirt which has been pulled upwards in the front only, to allow the girl to masturbate while performing fellatio (this interpretation contradicts your description; I'm just including it for the sake of completeness).

The distinction is important because any hiked skirt will probably require the modder to draw new highlights and shadows (to show how the fabric fits around the body) and probably add some crease patterns (which involves some tricky spatial reasoning if you want them to look believable). Animating the skirt is an additional complication, and it depends on the expected usage scenario (there are different considerations for a kneeling-fellatio scene versus a doggystyle scene). It would be a shame to put in such work and then discover that the result doesn't meet the original expectations.

The whole endeavour is much more straightforward if the requester can provide a reference image to show what he wants. The modder can then adapt or trace parts of the reference image, and focus his effort on the elements that are specific to SDT (such as bodypart/template boundaries, RGB fills, and animation issues).

Yes, I do. Here's an example of a reference image which someone once provided. It was useless to me and the request went unfulfilled.

I'm not an artist. Given a shirt (eg. the one I'm wearing right now) I can't produce an SDT mod which represents it. I would need to see what the shirt looks like when worn by a girl with the appropriate proportions (i.e. a body type that doesn't actually exist in reality). Ideally, I would need 3-5 such examples spanning different breast sizes. then I would need to draw a set of anime pictures based on what I had seen. I can't do those things. I can, however, create an SDT mod if I'm given a usable reference image (with colors, fabric patterns, highlights, shadows, creases, etc... already in place).

fleet likes this.
  5. Wolf357

Wolf357 Potential Patron

That's the crux of the issue; I dug around for some references because I'd like to have an intermediary step between "wearing a <type> skirt" and "not wearing bottoms" in the way that we have the vanilla jeans, the "pants down" swf, and finally no pants. Except - nothing's consistent. It would take an artist (which I'm not, either) to take these references as references and not blueprints and create the blueprint that could become a SDT mod. I can batch-post the links (either editing this post, or a later one) but unless one happens to jump out to an artist as "yes, exactly that one is usable" it will take more artistic talent than I could muster.

6. Sharklasers

Sharklasers Avid Affiliate Content Creator

That's true, it'd be difficult to find something exactly like what you're looking for that is also perfectly in side view.

Would it be enough to just supply a good picture of the sort of hiked skirt you're looking for, specify which parts are important to you, and say "I'd be fine with anything like this"? It seems like it would be easier on the artist if they could just do the rest of it however they wanted.

7. jase

jase Avid Affiliate

stuntcock, I'm not being nearly as demanding as you're suggesting, and you can already imagine the purposes it would be suited to. Further, my OP contains the file name of one reference and implies the rest: "OL_grayskirt.swf" There are OL skirts in short, intermediate and long, and between these three sizes they could stand in as hiked versions of many others. Think versatile rather than specific!

8. stuntcock

stuntcock Club Regular Staff Member Moderator

You're not being demanding; you're being vague. I'm being demanding. I'm demanding that you provide a usable reference image if you want your thread to be moved back to the main Requests board.

This isn't compulsory, of course. You're free to leave the thread as-is; modders are free to work on it if they want to.

I've moved it to the invalid subforum because in my opinion it doesn't contain enough information to support a modding project. Consider this request thread, which covers a similar topic. The first post included a description of the desired mod, a mockup sketch, background information, and intended usage scenarios. I did some animation work on one of @BrokenToaster's skirt designs in the hope of fulfilling the request. This work was eventually abandoned because the impact on runtime FPS was too high, but the point is: @Spinner's post gave me a clear idea of his goals and of the technical feasibility of his idea, which motivated me to work on his project.

I know which file you're referring to. I'm the one who uploaded it to the Resource Manager. A working example of a skirt mod is not the same thing as a reference image of a hiked skirt.

I provided two different examples of "hiked" skirts; you haven't indicated which of them is closer to your expectations (or whether they're both completely wrong). If your goal is to leave everything to the artist's discretion then you should say so explicitly. At the moment, it feels like indecision or evasiveness.

"Versatile" would presumably imply moving the skirt as high as possible so that it could be used in a wide variety of scenes. But this requires more artistic effort (i.e. folding and creasing the skirt instead of just sliding it upwards) and could disguise its nature (at-a-glance, it may appear to be a weird rumpled belt instead of an actual skirt).

As mentioned above, a reference image would help to focus the discussion and establish priorities (e.g. non-obtrusiveness, visual appeal, RGB support, fitting compatibility with existing Tops, etc).

fleet and Sharklasers like this.
  9. jase

jase Avid Affiliate

TL;DR
    I think you're being deliberately obtuse about something that was clearly communicated to anyone else with an interest in the mod. The fact that you belatedly referred me to a thread that already contained my request shows that you knew what I was talking about all along!

10. Wolf357

Wolf357 Potential Patron

Actually, he's not.

While there's interest in this kind of mod, no one (myself included, but I know my "artistic" limitations) has appeared and said "I'm willing to create something along these lines, just give me references." I could post all the reference items I found, but they'd be all over the map, they way Stuntcock originally outline. This might help an artist, but the angle is wrong (rear view, not side), and while pulled over the ass and bunched at the waist, the shading reflects the POV angle and would need to be reworked for a side-shot to make sense. This has the right angle, but is the skirt pulled up, or just short in the back (never mind that it does NOT follow the lines of the OL_Skirts originally mentioned, so this would not necessarily be a good reference for one of those skirts "hiked up")?

Basically, as much as there is interest in this, without an artist, shotgunning/spamming references items gets us no closer to the goal of a usable SWF (which, as I mentioned above, why I haven't done that).