DialogueChecker (Latest version: V3.07, 18 December 2016) (1 Viewer)

AaRL

Vivacious Visitor
Re: DialogueChecker (Latest version: V1.17, 20 June 2013)

Well, after using this thing all weekend. I find myself asking one thing... where has this been all my life?!

On a side note... I have a suggestion to make editing a bit easier. When the checker finds an error, could they be highlighted some how? Different colors for the already existing checker options? I spent like five minutes on one dam looking for a double spacing error. My eyes are tired lol

Pim_gd

Content Creator
Re: DialogueChecker (Latest version: V1.18, 26 June 2013)

June 26, 2013
Introducing v1.18!
- Added checks for line-attributes with undefined values.
- Linebreaks are now customizable through an input textfield.
Link in OP.
The archive download, containing the source of the DialogueChecker, as well as the current and all the previous versions has also been updated.

AaRL - Most errors that are found through the use of searching for a specific string in a line follow the following format:
<errormessage> on line <linenumber>, col <characternumber>

Line <linenumber>: intro: "hi"

This message was
Usage of colon in dialogue line or erroneous space before dialogue line on line 1, col 5

Line 1: intro: "hi"
Col 5 here is the sixth character in that line.
Code:
i = 0
n = 1
t = 2
r = 3
o = 4
: = 5
 = 6
Strings are 0-indexed and the col listed is the first character in the string that matches to the string that was searched for.
If you open Notepad and go to View -> Statusbar (or something like that), you'll see where I got this feature from.
Maybe I should make the col be 1-indexed (have it start at 1).

I tried to find more features as to prevent spam, but all that seems to do is delay a release by several days. If I program additional features I'll release them as-is, rather than bundling them in some big package that may or may not arrive.

AaRL

Vivacious Visitor

I understand the "Usage of colon in dialogue line or erroneous space before dialogue line on line 1, col 5" thing

I was just saying to make it even easier. It gets annoying with larger lines when you have col 145 or something like that. Sorry Ive been staring at 100s of lines of dialogue lately. Just got done going through ALL my dialogues with this tool and revamping all of them to the latest triggers and such.

Still, this is a great tool to have.

Pim_gd

Content Creator

What about snippets?
"near ..."
so
intro:"well hellooo there, just look at that"

would be
double space at line 1, col 19, near "(...)l hellooo there, jus(...)"

AaRL

Vivacious Visitor

Pim_gd said:
What about snippets?
"near ..."
so
intro:"well hellooo there, just look at that"

would be
double space at line 1, col 19, near "(...)l hellooo there, jus(...)"

EXACTLY! Take the word/trigger on each side of the said error. I would drop the column thing. Because if people use the in game editor, there is no such description. Only in Notepad and Word. This is actually better than the color idea too.

Pim_gd

Content Creator

The column thing is for debugging purposes as well. If "-1" ever shows up there, something went wrong.
And I don't know how many other people who use this tool silently make use of the feature.

I'll add the snippets when I have some time.

The Hermit

Potential Patron

I've just spotted that sometimes the advice that is given to fix a fault goes off the right edge of the screen. Usually enough is seen to know what to do though.

For example:
Are you perhaps using asterisks (*) to indicate actions? You should replace the asterisks with %2A. Otherwise SDT will try to insert an undefined variable, leading to blanks in your dialogue.
The part in bold isn't on screen.

There are a couple of ways for us users to see the rest of it, but it would be simpler for us to read if it just word wrapped. ;-)

Thanks again!

Pim_gd

Content Creator

Wordwrapping will cause the "Line xx: <line>" to wordwrap as well, but I'll add it tomorrow.

The Hermit

Potential Patron

Pim_gd said:
Wordwrapping will cause the "Line xx: <line>" to wordwrap as well, but I'll add it tomorrow.

I think that will be ok due to the blank lines you have after each one. I know when I did as it suggests and copied the output into Notepad and viewed it wordwrapped it was easy to read (see attachment.)

It's the lazy bit of me that doesn't see the need to do that when I can read the output in your program. ;) lol

How about a ---------- between each error to help us quickly see where each one starts/ends, putting the error line in bold, colouring the errors, and putting the suggested fix in italics like below?

Dialogue was checked in 188 ms.

I found 2 issue(s) with your dialogue, of which 0 were severe.

A substitution (variable insertion) is attempted with an undefined variable (My_Friend ) on line 286.

Are you perhaps using asterisks (*) to indicate actions? You should replace the asterisks with %2A. Otherwise SDT will try to insert an undefined variable, leading to blanks in your dialogue.

Line 286: cum_on_faceH:"You look amazing with my cum on your face* ME*...%0AAnd *My_Friend * thinks so too judging by the way she is fingering herself!"{"style":"Him"}

Unknown line-attribute "style " on line 295.

Line 295: cum_on_faceT:"[CLOSE_EYES]WOW!!!ББББББББББББББББ That was a lot!ББББББББББББББББ%0AHaving *My_Friend* here must have really turned him on!ББББББББББББББББ"{"style ":"Thought"}

Once you've fixed these issues, try letting me look your dialogue over again. Maybe I'll find something new.

EDIT: I've just remembered the snippets idea, so you may as well ignore the bit about colour! lol

Pim_gd

Content Creator
Re: DialogueChecker (Latest version: V1.19, 28 June 2013)

June 28, 2013
Introducing v1.19!
- Added wordwrap for the output textfield.
- Added snippets feature. When an error is detected, the checker displays a snippet of the line so that the exact location of the error can be located more easily.
Link in OP.
The archive download, containing the source of the DialogueChecker, as well as the current and all the previous versions has also been updated.

I know I missed some but it was getting late and I said I'd do this tomorrow which is today (if you get what I'm saying). Most of the things that had "at col" will also have "near...".

Bug: Checker does not catch
held:"[HAPPY_MOOD]You're thinking of something Ash!"{"style":"thought""check":{"state":">3"}}
as a mistake

AaRL

Vivacious Visitor
Re: DialogueChecker (Latest version: V1.19, 28 June 2013)

Thanks again for keeping this valuable tool up to date!

Pim_gd

Content Creator
Re: DialogueChecker (Latest version: V1.20, 3 July 2013)

July 3, 2013
Introducing v1.20!
- Added checks for failed parsing of line-attributes.
- Capped snippets at 40 chars on both sides of the highlighted section.
- Fixed an internal bug with parsing values of line-attributes.
Link in OP.

I've added your ideas to the list, let me know if you have more.

Pim_gd

Content Creator
Re: DialogueChecker (Latest version: V1.22, 22 July 2013)

July 21, 2013
Introducing v1.21!
- Added checks for [::] (Syntax).
Link in OP.

A small update, I made this on the 4th of July or so, but didn't feel it was worth releasing. Two and a half weeks later, though, it seems a shame to not release it.

July 22, 2013
Introducing v1.22!
- Fixes a bug where snippets would get cut off if a line had duplicate issues. Bug existed since v1.19.
Link in OP.

Let me know if there's anything else I should add, because right now I don't really have anything to add other than a variable module.

Pim_gd

Content Creator
Re: DialogueChecker (Latest version: V1.23, 5 August 2013)

Triple posting...
Still, I think 2 weeks is large enough of a gap.

August 5, 2013
Introducing v1.23!
- Fixed a typo in the message if the held line-attribute was improperly used.
- Fixed a typo in the message if the style line-attribute was improperly used.
- Fixed a bug where lines ending with the name of a line-attribute would be seen as instances of improper use. Bug introduced in v1.02 and expanded in v1.06.
-- Example: introheld:"H-Hey! Let go of me!" {"held":"true"}
- Internal: Implemented support for snippets that focus on a second or later occurance of a specific string in a line.
- Added extra info line if line-attribute parsing fails due to improper use of line-attributes (specifically, lack of double quotes).
Link in OP.

It's been more than a month since there were any posts on this thread other than those of mine. Which features do you (that's you, SDT Dialogue user/writer) still want to see implemented?

ModGuy

Content Creator

Pim_gd said:
Triple posting...

It's been more than a month since there were any posts on this thread other than those of mine. Which features do you (that's you, SDT Dialogue user/writer) still want to see implemented?

I'll allow it.
Anyway, if you want to make a tool that dialogue writers can really appreciate, implement a preview.
Essentially copying the algo straight from SDT, tweaking it for your checker.
Neat tool btw.

Pim_gd

Content Creator

What do you mean with a "preview"?

ModGuy

Content Creator

Pim_gd said:
What do you mean with a "preview"?

Have your checker parse out and display the dialogue in a style reflective of the in-game dialogue.

Pim_gd

Content Creator

I'm not sure how I'd go about doing that.
Well, yeah, replicating the internal mechanics would be easy enough, it's just that I'd have to parse the dialogue file just like SDT does. And making the display would be hard...
Maybe I can get SDT to do it for me somehow?

ModGuy

Content Creator

Pim_gd said:
I'm not sure how I'd go about doing that.
Well, yeah, replicating the internal mechanics would be easy enough, it's just that I'd have to parse the dialogue file just like SDT does. And making the display would be hard...
Maybe I can get SDT to do it for me somehow?

If you're going to include SDT with it, you may as well use the built in preview.
Out of interest, do you check to see if custom variables are correctly typed?
ie: Find all occurrences of "set":

Code:
{"set":{"example":"value"}}

And every "check":

Code:
{"check":{"example":"somethingelse"}}

And make sure that variables in "check" fields exist in "set" fields.
Subsequently you can ensure that all variables in "set" fields actually get used.
Further yet you can store each possible value of "set" fields and match that against checked values.
If it's possible to increment values then you can ensure that incrementing/decrementing from the initial value would eventually reach the checked value assuming "set" is on lines that would trigger more than once.

Pim_gd

Content Creator

To be honest, the preview thing doesn't seem all that useful to me... just start up SDT.

The variable system, however... I really ought to put that in once. Logical errors can be the hardest to spot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.