1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Change in registration policies UPDATE: 12/25/2016

Discussion in 'Club Announcements' started by detritus, Sep 16, 2016.

1. detritus

detritus angry angry Staff Member Administrator

I'm disabling the e-mail verification check for registration as of today. E-mail verification has been a staple in spam prevention for many, many years, but with the number of disposable e-mail services available these days and the constant issues with message routing between service providers, I think it's time to find a different solution.

I will be implementing more aggressive, behind-the-scene checks against spammer databases during registration for the time being. If spam and bot registration becomes a noticeable problem in the following week, I may roll this change back.

I will also be making changes to the e-mail server during this time. Notification e-mails for private messages and subscriptions may not be sent out. If you notice this behavior for more than 24 hours, please reply to this thread and let me know.

UPDATE 12/25/2016 : Read below

I will be reactivating e-mail verification sometime in the next couple of weeks. The plan is to send e-mails out through a bulk mailing service rather than locally to bypass issues with e-mail routing.

If you registered or updated your e-mail to a non-existent address, you'll want to update your contact information to a valid one, even if it's through an anonymous e-mail provider like Mailinator.

What does this mean?
    It means if you registered under uaskjhda@aksjhdas.com for your e-mail, update it to valid e-mail address you have access to or use Mailinator if you're not comfortable with a personal e-mail address being used for notification purposes on Undertow.

Why are you verifying e-mail addresses again?
    While skipping e-mail verification has worked around the issues with registration confirmation, it has inadvertently impacted the delivery rate of e-mails to a lot of other major e-mail providers that were previously working without issue.

TL;DR?
    Update your contact e-mail to a valid e-mail or to a Mailinator address before 01/14/2016 or you may lose access to your account. The only staff member that can unlock accounts is me and I'm slow as fuck, so seriously, get this done.

Subnote: If you don't know how Mailinator works, it's a throwaway e-mail service. You can set your contact e-mail to DetritusSucksToes@mailinator.com, then go to mailinator.com, put in DetritusSucksToes at the top and it'll show you any e-mails that were sent to that address. No registration and no password necessary. Obviously this is not a secure e-mail service, but it is anonymous. Read the FAQ on their site if you want to know more.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  2. fleet

fleet Club Regular Staff Member Moderator

Cool.
    I ask our current members to use the Report function to report any spammers or bots.
    Please do NOT post any responses to the spam or bot posts.
    Very respectfully,
    fleet (global moderator)

Idoro likes this.
  3. detritus

Bumping for an update on this. Read the first post.

Rudgar likes this.
  4. sby

sby Club Regular Content Creator

thanks for the heads up

5. rufangnaidan

rufangnaidan Vivacious Visitor

6. Kargan3033

Kargan3033 Club Regular

Sounds good, I'll keep an eye out for the update e-mail.

7. sia_tomo

sia_tomo Vivacious Visitor

yes sir

8. Rudgar

Rudgar Casual Client Content Creator

9. LewiesMan

LewiesMan Vivacious Visitor

Good thinking! let spammers eat spam!:wink:

Rudgar likes this.
  10. poloyolo

poloyolo Potential Patron

10/10, I don't need to update, and also, fuck the spammers.

Rudgar likes this.
  11. PrinceSomber

PrinceSomber Potential Patron

Appreciate the heads up.

12. underwear fetish

underwear fetish Avid Affiliate

I just received a mail from undertow and it says the code is only valid for 15 mins. What does that mean?

To complete the login to your account (or to complete two-step verification setup) at Undertow, you must enter the following code:

This code is valid for 15 minutes.

The login was requested via the IP xxxx. If you did not initiate this request, you should change your password urgently.

Thanks.
    Undertow

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2017
  13. SasakiKojiro

SasakiKojiro Potential Patron

Well, the e-mail i use in here is my main account, i just updated it so im fine now? .w.~~

14. Kargan3033

Kargan3033 Club Regular

That's strange I did not get that e-mail, so does that mean I'm ok since I'm a long time member?

15. detritus

If you guys already had a valid e-mail assigned to your account, you don't need to do anything. This is specifically for people that signed up with or set their e-mail to a nonexistent address during the few months we didn't do e-mail verification.

16. mhurley1

mhurley1 Potential Patron

Thanks for the heads up.

17. Mephisto_VI

Mephisto_VI Potential Patron

i have yet to get an email, but my valid email was already on file when i went to check. Can you resend a validation please?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  18. TOHKOAMANO

TOHKOAMANO Potential Patron

Thanks for the heads up.

19. Ju-One

Ju-One Potential Patron

tq for info

20. Yohan Gas Mask

Yohan Gas Mask Potential Patron

I came back today on the 20th of January, and wanted to change my email address to another one (due to a typo). It said it would send me a confirmation email address to my account, but it hasn't done so, and I asked it to be resent twice.

I checked around and found this. I guess I'm fucked then, aren't I? I can't download anything -.-