[PC] Another Dimension (1 Viewer)

Red_Scare

Potential Patron
I hope the final version isn't intended to play this clunky. I stopped early due to how slow and plodding the controls were. Wish them the best of luck with their project though.

Gannes1414

Potential Patron
Yeah, it's pretty bad. I would change the controls, make the dialogue skippable, and reduce the difficulty somewhat. As it is this game plays more like a frustrating chore than something fun or arousing.

Dandy TIger

Potential Patron
With an outfit like that, you'd think there'd be some form of sexual interaction. Maybe I've become too accustomed to seeing females in these games ending up that way.

chromo1418

Potential Patron
Yeah, it's pretty bad. I would change the controls, make the dialogue skippable, and reduce the difficulty somewhat. As it is this game plays more like a frustrating chore than something fun or arousing.

You took my words Gannes. I played it till level 4, where the new enemy is is some ghost thingy. From there onwards are also ropes to climb. Just one tip on the left or right arrow, lets her jump off the rope. That is really frustrating, especially, when that ghost thing hunts you. Another negative point for me is, that there are some of the ceilings so low, the hits her head, and then falls down, so that some jumps are nearly impossible.

I hope, there will be someday a more playable version of it.

Neonie

Ryonani Teamster
I'm stuck really early on at the moment :(

You know where the you have the strangulation rope hanging and the gap before and you basically have to jump over the gap somehow but without ending up in the strangulation rope?

No idea how :P

Someone92

Vivacious Visitor
If it's the one where you have to jump from the right to the left just start jumping from the second last step and hold UP and LEFT, you'll avoid the rope perfectly.

Beatitudes

Potential Patron
I noticed this was getting a lot of negative feedback without any real constructive criticism, so I think I'll contribute a bit, especially considering the author is reading this thread.

To begin with, I much prefer sprite-based (pixel) games to these 2.5d games (irrelevant), but I was actually very impressed with the animations. One problem I have with indie 2.5d games is that usually they are treated as sprites rather than models, which looks really awkward, but enough attention to detail was paid that the model has fluid animations all across the board - I was actually wowed a little bit by how much was put into the hanging animation. The environments are lackluster, but that's not really too much of a concern, especially at such an early state of the game. Things like the acid bath look sloppy, but it at least gives you an idea what it is, and are functional.

The controls would be my biggest issue at this point. First, I would like to recommend that the character jumps as soon as you press the up key, rather than playing through the tiny animation immediately beforehand. It's a minor issue, but I think would be a great contribution to the fluidity of the controls. When crouching, if your character decides to stop and stand up while still under a low surface, your character will stand up and simply get stuck in the wall. How about a script where the character cannot stand up if the ceiling is too low and you're already crouching? The small jump button seems unnecessary, especially since it is just lower than the height of all the 'small steps' in the game. It seems like it was just tacked on in favor of certain jump puzzles, which I'm pretty sure is true. Speaking of which, would it be possible to make the character just jump to her maximum height as long as you hold the key, but stop wherever you decide to let go? A la Cave Story or almost any other successful platformer. Just a minimum jump height, and the additional height is contributed by how long you hold the button down (with the same max height too, of course, so no puzzles would actually have to be changed.) I am also not fond of her automatically jumping again if the button is held too long, but I don't know what the general consensus is for that.

I personally like the frustrating puzzle portion of the game, and figuring out other ways to do things (like that one jump where you have to take off one step before the final one), but a lot of it seems to be just precision "jump at the exact last second" type thing, which I'm not too fond of. I'm pretty sure one of the gaps in the first level was changed to this style from the first version, but I could be wrong. This is however just a personal gripe, so it's not necessarily true for everyone.

I think the running speed could be improved slightly, but I understand that it's also synched almost perfectly to its respective animation. If it could just be sped up by 1.5x maybe, it would be a lot more satisfying to play, and less run-walking to each puzzle.

I hope this helps. Good luck with the game! I would really like to see more games of this style, and this definitely has potential.

P.S. - I recommend looking at "Nightmare Sphere" for an example of a 2.5d ryona game with great controls, environments, moving speeds, really everything. The animations are of poorer quality, but when it comes to the actual gameplay part (running, jumping, etc), animation can be sacrificed for playability. At least I think so. I'm not suggesting you should match the inrcedibly fast running speed of this game, as context makes the characters of that game far more enabled, but rather improve it to a decent amount that still fits the style of this character.

EDIT: Apologies, it seems my suggestion about differing jump heights with respect to how long the button is held was already implemented.

Last edited by a moderator:

Someone92

Vivacious Visitor
I am also not fond of her automatically jumping again if the button is held too long, but I don't know what the general consensus is for that.
Oh yes, that's super annoying; I died several times because you have to hold down UP for the maximum jump height, and if you're holding UP just a second too long you jump again directly into a rope. -.-

VoreQ

Ryonani Teamster
this seems like a great ryona game! its just to hard to see anything passed the second level ^_^
i think there should be a button you can hold like in blankblood to make you be able to zoom through the hard bits with invincibility :D

Someone92

Vivacious Visitor
I have the feeling the game creator is a math student or something like that; if you have troubles to solve the last question look up the rule of L'Hospital.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mardion

Potential Patron
I only played this last version and the controls are okay, good response time and no trouble with jumping and stuff. The game itself doesn't look that interesting, with only the hanging death being even a bit enticing so far (I've only reached the raping green blob). A zoom button would probably help though.

I also need a hint : What to do with that second green blob? Manipulating the first one's trajectory is easy, but the second is just stuck at the wall closest to me and I can hardly even jump above it with that low ceiling.

PS: Math problems ftw :P

Someone92

Vivacious Visitor
I also need a hint : What to do with that second green blob? Manipulating the first one's trajectory is easy, but the second is just stuck at the wall closest to me and I can hardly even jump above it with that low ceiling.
Hm, where exactly is your problem: When it's stucked against the wall and you have to jump over it or when you have to avoid him? In the first case I dunno, I never had a problem to jump over it, when you're trying to avoid it it's a bit easier to jump up horizontally and then press the direction key it's coming from. You can maneuver your character when you're in midair.

Mardion

Potential Patron
The problem is that I can hardly jump above it with that low ceiling. Here's a screenshot for those who don't remember that part :

Someone92

Vivacious Visitor
The problem is that I can hardly jump above it with that low ceiling.
I've replayed to that part to see what exactly I've done to avoid it, turns out you don't even need to jump over it, you can simply walk over it. Once you hit the ground jump to the left and in midair turn right. If you're in the pit with it abuse the fact that you have full maneuverability in midair.
If you cannot get past it I can upload the savegame of the level after that one.

chromo1418

Potential Patron
I've replayed to that part to see what exactly I've done to avoid it, turns out you don't even need to jump over it, you can simply walk over it. Once you hit the ground jump to the left and in midair turn right. If you're in the pit with it abuse the fact that you have full maneuverability in midair.
If you cannot get past it I can upload the savegame of the level after that one.

Say could you please upload a save after that lvl? Every time i die is by that flying marbles or when you need to go a second time to that ghostly thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Are you 18 or older?

This website requires you to be 18 years of age or older. Please verify your age to view the content, or click Exit to leave.